Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just tried to plan a route that I have driven a couple of times on the Porsche website. The route I was looking for was between Vence in southern France to Stockholm, Sweden. Google maps, Waze etc would normally choose a route through Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark etc. for a normal ICE car. This is the shortest and the fastest route normally. This would be planned to take about 25 hours or so, and the route is about 2600 kms. Of course you would not drive such a distance in one go but for planning it is ok.

I then tried the Porsche website and put the time down as summer! It would take 41 hours and the route was over 2800 kms going though France, Belgium, Netherlands Germany and Denmark!!! A difference of 13 hours! And the worst part was that it planned for a number of charging points where there was only ONE single 50 kW charger! It did not use many IONITY chargers on the route either? If the 50 kW charger was broken or occupied you would be stuck! This certainly must be addressed by Porsche since that would be unacceptable!

I then tried to switch the planning to Winter! And to my surprise it would plan a route as per Waze!! Same route more or less. Only 2600 kms and 35 hours trip? GREAT??? But wait! The car needed to be fully charged and the range was indicated as 419 kms! Problem was the first charging stop was planned to be 452 kms away! I did not check the other stops but this was a surprise and must be a flaw? Different routes winter and summer and no way of reaching the planned stop.

Has anybody else tried out the Porsche planning tool?

This does not inspire any confidence in me.

Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website 166A146B-B60B-48C9-A2B9-02BE1BB82A36
Sponsored

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
Very interesting, where can I find the Porsche planner?
I use the https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ website to tryout routes. In this planner I put in a Taycan Turbo as car to be used. This planner uses as much as possible the Ionity 800V chargers. See enclosed screen shot of your route, "already" in 29 hours in Vence. I really wonder which of these planners reflects the real world.

Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website Schermafbeelding 2019-11-12 om 13.09.51

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
must say I have used a better route planner for a while and it works great, timing and all.... but the Tyacan is still a theoretical car to the planner so might be a bit optimistic...…...

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found the Porsche route planner here:

https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/e-performance/charging-on-the-road/

The interesting thing was that you could switch between Summer and Winter in the settings.

And yes Felix I agree the Taycan is still very much theoretical. But I was most surprised when the Porsche planner indicated the first stop to be outside of the cars range! 452 km away when the car was fully charged to 419 kms! I have seen that Italy is a bit of white spot on the map with Ionity chargers or other fast chargers. So is Spain and the UK also. But I guess there will be more roll out now that VAG and Mercedes start to sell EV’s with CCS charging.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I worry the route planner was written by the same folks that worked on the Taycan configurator

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Suddenly I want to do a cross country road trip: Maine to California.

63 hours of driving and charging. 30+ stops for electrons. (compared to about 12 stops for gasoline or diesel).

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website IMG_6709.PNG

63 hours of driving and charging. 30+ stops for electrons. (compared to about 12 stops for gasoline or diesel).

sounds like fun, might have to wait on some of the upper states and coverage, but very doable and fun

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
IMG_6709.PNG

sounds like fun, might have to wait on some of the upper states and coverage, but very doable and fun
Yeah. Can’t get through Wyoming on 80, my preferred route. Even the southern route has a few tricky sections.

Unfortunately, Porsche’s route & charge planning software is still immature and not yet ready for prime time.

I need to visit California in the next couple of months... how shall I get there? Taycan, Sprinter, or one of those crazy flying machines... “air planes” I think they call them.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Yeah. Can’t get through Wyoming on 80, my preferred route. Even the southern route has a few tricky sections.

Unfortunately, Porsche’s route & charge planning software is still immature and not yet ready for prime time.

I need to visit California in the next couple of months... how shall I get there? Taycan, Sprinter, or one of those crazy flying machines... “air planes” I think they call them.
I live in Colorado and their is currently no way to drive I 70, the only east west way to get west of Colorado, The last usable charging station is in grand junction, near the western border of Colorado, and the next usable charging station is in Richfield Utah, approximately 235 miles away. The car will not spin that distance. I’ve studied all of the charging maps and there’s simply no way to get through without stopping at some little KOA campground and plugging in for an extended period of time. Does anyone see a solution that I missing? That particular spin through Colorado and Eastern Utah, is very mountainous with several very long climbs.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Colorado and their is currently no way to drive I 70, the only east west way to get west of Colorado, The last usable charging station is in grand junction, near the western border of Colorado, and the next usable charging station is in Richfield Utah, approximately 235 miles away. The car will not spin that distance. I’ve studied all of the charging maps and there’s simply no way to get through without stopping at some little KOA campground and plugging in for an extended period of time. Does anyone see a solution that I missing? That particular spin through Colorado and Eastern Utah, is very mountainous with several very long climbs.
I like A Better Route Planner. Does this route work (https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=7a8e8167-7626-4cca-ae70-674f48674881)? While, it may be a bit of additional drive, but that's part of the fun in a Porsche, right ;)

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion, but here is what it said ( note the red area is the 235 mile stretch that the Taycan won’t do and there are no alternative suggestions. Guess for now I’m stuck at the western edge of Colorado.
Check chargepoint, evgo and plugshare - they may have listed options not in abetterrouteplanner

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion, but here is what it said ( note the red area is the 235 mile stretch that the Taycan won’t do and there are no alternative suggestions. Guess for now I’m stuck at the western edge of Colorado.
Ah, guess I mis-understood how the route planner color indicator means. The route I was thinking was
Porsche Taycan Route Planning on Porsche website upload_2020-1-13_22-48-32

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Ah, guess I mis-understood how the route planner color indicator means. The route I was thinking was
upload_2020-1-13_22-48-32.png
the orange color just means you have to stay bellow a certain speed to make it..... in this case 75mph........ so on the other route there is probably a similar restriction. maybe shorter time depending on the two scales. :)

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Have you tested the actual Route Planner in the Taycan? Is that what you refer to as “not yet ready for prime time”? I am aware of that the web based tool is not up to scratch yet, but had hoped the car would accurately show the route and suggested charging stations?

Any feed back appreciated .
Sponsored