S-H-O-C-K-E-R-O-O-N-E-Y - Wheel Alignment Cost & Time Taken!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I dislike pretty well everything about the Veyron. It is the antithesis of a sports car.
Personal preferences are completely normal (and expected); however, no one ever claimed the Veyron was a sports car. There were many wrongs with how that project was conceived and executed, but its technical achievements are and will remain a milestone in auto manufacturing. Daily-drivable 1000hp, and faster in a straight line than a contemporary F1 car, to boot. (<- that's a tease 😁)
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Daily-drivable 1000hp
That isn't that difficult just get a Tesla Plaid or the 4 motor Lucid.

You won't get it often though, electronic stability systems making sure the headline power figure is almost never actually being delivered.

The VW modular engine is an awful thing IME.
The interior and external styling are awful IMO, but that is personal, of course.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
....so back on point...

My story has a happy ending!

The realignment work was performed and 'mysteriously' on re-checking the alignment whilst still out was not as bad as first reported. I have both the before (original measurement) and after (re-measure before and after) reports. No explanation given but I guess the 'state-of-the-art' alignment rig wasn't set up correctly.

Porsche Taycan S-H-O-C-K-E-R-O-O-N-E-Y   - Wheel Alignment Cost & Time Taken! 20221020_105015

Porsche Taycan S-H-O-C-K-E-R-O-O-N-E-Y   - Wheel Alignment Cost & Time Taken! 20221020_104948

On the basis that I challenged the dealership's non-specific wheel alignment offer for October which initially brought the cost down to 50% (£650 + VAT), after further consideration (and I guess my mention of the Trades Description Act, the cost was reduced further to match the standard wheel alignment price (£250 incl VAT). The alignment time took considerably less than the original 7 hrs quoted also.

I also had my 2 year first service completed - total cost £564 (including VAT) inclusive of a 20% discount for an October promotion. This service includes checking the water drains (£163) + brake fluid change (£102).

Happy with the result (and costs) plus the car was returned with a first class wash and spruce up.

I still need a couple of things checked (battery range and PIRM config) but the single Gold Tech at the dealership able to perform this work was on vacation. Car was delivered back to me with 100% charge which reported 225 miles (10C, AC Normal).

Overall a good result and notable effort to address my concerns by the dealership.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Great result there W1NGE. 👍
Glad it worked out for you as you help so many other people on this forum.

And the service cost is good value too.
Has your dealership been added d to the UK servicing thread?

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thx - not sure but will check

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
....so back on point...

My story has a happy ending!

The realignment work was performed and 'mysteriously' on re-checking the alignment whilst still out was not as bad as first reported. I have both the before (original measurement) and after (re-measure before and after) reports. No explanation given but I guess the 'state-of-the-art' alignment rig wasn't set up correctly.

On the basis that I challenged the dealership's non-specific wheel alignment offer for October which initially brought the cost down to 50% (£650 + VAT), after further consideration (and I guess my mention of the Trades Description Act, the cost was reduced further to match the standard wheel alignment price (£250 incl VAT). The alignment time took considerably less than the original 7 hrs quoted also.

I also had my 2 year first service completed - total cost £564 (including VAT) inclusive of a 20% discount for an October promotion. This service includes checking the water drains (£163) + brake fluid change (£102).

Happy with the result (and costs) plus the car was returned with a first class wash and spruce up.

I still need a couple of things checked (battery range and PIRM config) but the single Gold Tech at the dealership able to perform this work was on vacation. Car was delivered back to me with 100% charge which reported 225 miles (10C, AC Normal).

Overall a good result and notable effort to address my concerns by the dealership.
agree this is a good outcome. But Porsche should be ashamed of the attempts to overprice their services by these attempts. They knew full well that the wheel alignment was a complete nonsense.

Secondly did you try to ask them for the ”checking of the water drains”?? Another very suspect item. It was described to me as taking iff the rear wheels and the door sills to check! But yhey never performed any disassembly of my car. So the cost was quickly scrapped.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
agree this is a good outcome. But Porsche should be ashamed of the attempts to overprice their services by these attempts. They knew full well that the wheel alignment was a complete nonsense.

Secondly did you try to ask them for the ”checking of the water drains”?? Another very suspect item. It was described to me as taking iff the rear wheels and the door sills to check! But yhey never performed any disassembly of my car. So the cost was quickly scrapped.
The drainage work was itemised on the bill (I think I mentioned above) - I didn't challenge and its a documented item on the service schedule so what the heck.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The drainage work was itemised on the bill (I think I mentioned above) - I didn't challenge and its a documented item on the service schedule so what the heck.
So was the drainage checks for my opening Sun roof. A direct print out from the Porsche service. But the garage could not find the Sun roof on my Taycan or that I could open the roof. 🤣🤣

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
That isn't that difficult just get a Tesla Plaid or the 4 motor Lucid.
At the time of its introduction - which is what we're talking about as being of significance - 1000hp was very much a difficult task (still is for an ICE), and predated the Plaid et all by ~15 years (20+ if you count from the start of the project).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
At the time of its introduction - which is what we're talking about as being of significance - 1000hp was very much a difficult task (still is for an ICE), and predated the Plaid et all by ~15 years (20+ if you count from the start of the project).
We won’t agree :)
The engine is vast and heavy.
The power to weight ratio is inferior to several other cars.
Michael Schumacher had a EB110 which was a great car, though 2 laps of the Paul Richard circuit was too much for its brakes.

The Veyron is awful in almost every way, IMO of course.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Secondly did you try to ask them for the ”checking of the water drains”??
An advisory warning to everyone to have the service team at your Porsche dealership check your "High Voltage Protective Plate Water Drain Plugs" on a regular basis. 21,000 miles in my 4S+ Taycan, which has been a joy otherwise.
A noted by PNWTaycan4S, there is a drain on the high voltage battery which, when clogged, can cause failure of the battery. Its important to keep this drain cleared.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag

Yep great result, well done for challenging. Overall very reasonable pricing 👍

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
A noted by PNWTaycan4S, there is a drain on the high voltage battery which, when clogged, can cause failure of the battery. Its important to keep this drain cleared.
Very important at the 2 year service to have the tech check the drains. The water intrusion fix has been a two part effort at my dealer.

Part 1 of the fix was to remove the screens, clean out that area, and dry out the interior of the car. Took over a week.

Part 2 in the shop now is to pull the high voltage battery, reseal, battery reinstall, and do a four wheel alignment. I'm on week 4 for that, which in addition to the battery fix includes the software update, new tires, new windshield and some rattle fixes. Hope to get it back in the next week.

Check your drains! 😎

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I'd love to have my HV battery die at around four years old – nice way of getting a fresh one !!

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Just came back from my Porsche Centre (Netherlands). I asked what the costs are here in the Netherlands and shared your story + price. (Since I have one in production and wanted to cancel if the costs are really like in your story). It will cost around 400€ here, and that is including resetting the camera's. He said that you are clearly paid too much and thinks that they probably did something else too.
Sponsored