Should I even buy another EV?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Should I even buy another EV? 20230219_193808-

Feb 19, 2023, still in the shop till end of May at least!

Porsche Taycan Should I even buy another EV? 20230415_191231

Last weekend, little 350km, 220mi trip, second day, car could not charge anymore, got the charging problem fixed the next day,

but the door handle still does not work properly. After that, the first time I was thinking that maybe EVs are not a smart buy. So what should I do?
1. Sell it all and buy another one?
2. Apply to become an EV test driver?

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Bad luck. Been driving EVs for more than a decade at this point and never had one fail to start or charge.

Do you use DC charging heavily? It shouldn’t be an issue, but I sometimes wonder if some of these premature deaths of batteries/chargers can be traced to the stresses of DC charging pushing a dodgy component over the edge.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Hopefully they've provided you with a loaner at the very least.

Like everything else, EVs will have trouble, the biggest being maturity of infrastructure and support. ICE cars typically have a much broader supply chain and knowledge base for repairs so you would typically be back out on the road more quickly.

Personally, I wouldn't give up, but hedge my bet with at least once ICE car at home. I see you're in Shenzhen, I would think the EV infrastructure is quite a bit more robust than what we have here in the US.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Can’t speak for the taycan but that Tesla is quite old. Maybe it’s time to get the latest one. Been driving EVs since 2016 and never got stranded. My ICE mclaren did get me stranded and is the second time of my life since I started driving.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Do you use DC charging heavily?
Hardly ever as I have dedicated grid power supply for our T junk model S as well as for my Taycan. With Covid, we did very little local travel since I got the Taycan.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Hopefully they've provided you with a loaner at the very least.
The car was trucked in the middle of the night to the next big city. Took 2 hours. No loaner. I even don't know if T offers that here in China.

Personally, I wouldn't give up, but hedge my bet with at least once ICE car at home. I see you're in Shenzhen, I would think the EV infrastructure is quite a bit more robust than what we have here in the US.
I went for 3 hours return trip in a Toyota ICE and yesterday I got a Macan for my broken Tayan. Even though the Porsche is much much better, I cannot put up with these noicy vibrating stinkers anymore. Already ordered new EV...

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Can’t speak for the taycan but that Tesla is quite old. Maybe it’s time to get the latest one. Been driving EVs since 2016 and never got stranded. My ICE mclaren did get me stranded and is the second time of my life since I started driving.
Sorry, but I will NEVER EVER buy T junk again. The software is horrible to use and the car drives so bumpy it gives me motion sickness. And don't get me started about all the things which we had to fix over the years. Only crazy people or young SM brainwasched kids buy T junk.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Sorry, but I will NEVER EVER buy T junk again. The software is horrible to use and the car drives so bumpy it gives me motion sickness. And don't get me started about all the things which we had to fix over the years. Only crazy people or young SM brainwasched kids buy T junk.
Lol, ok. The Taycan must be better in every way!

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Just a counterpoint to your troubles with the Tesla. I've had a Model S Perf. for 3.5 years. My biggest problem is that the wiper chatter. Never needed service. Software? Oh just so much better than the competition, but that may be personal preference. Love my Tesla. Love my Taycan. They do entirely different things better than the competition. Sorry about your experience with the Tesla but there are many opposite stories out there. I won't write off Taycans based on the image of yours on a flatbed.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Should I even buy another EV? Weixin Image_20230706144704
Porsche Taycan Should I even buy another EV? Weixin Image_20230706144721

Got my Taycan end of May back from the battery fix and just last week went to Porsche to sign a 1 year warrenty extension for the loss! Now the AC broke. Back in the shop. Why is Porsche so desperate to compete with T junk?

Time to sell, right?