12V issue strikes another one

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The update is supposed to "allegedly" fix it....we shall see. Good news is that is easily repairable, bad news, it likely will occur again.

1) Do NOT change profiles on the app

2) Do NOT change any settings on app when it's charging

3) Unplug the charger when charging is complete.

These 3 things are supposed to help eliminate the 12V discharge
So, in fact, you're saying you can test if the 12V issue is eliminated?
Try this and you know for sure the issue is gone.

Is this a proven method?
And what are the results?
Are the results consistent and repeatable?
Where did you get this procedure from?

I wonder why Porsche doesn't know this?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the 12V issue has struck people who have done all of those things - however those steps will reduce the possibility of it occuring, but abstinence from those items will not make the issue “go away”

#3 is particuarly suspect - because if the car has “finished” charging the 12V is very unlikely to occur

normally the 12V problem occurs early in the charging cycle because the car is ‘confused’ by the charger or the charger settings and gets stuck in a loop - it drains the 12V and never finishes the charging session - if the car has finished a charging session you are past the point in time when the 12V issue was most likley to strike…

all of these steps will reduce the chance of the problem occurring, but they are not sufficient to prevent it from ever occurring - the fact that it hasn’t occurred to any one Taycan owner is simply proof that it’s a truly random non-reproducible problem associated with L2 charging…

I have an anti-elephant stomping neckless around my neck, and I’ve never been stomped by an elephant - it must be working.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, 911, Cayenne Turbo SE, McLaren GT
Country flag
Quick update from dealer - it appears my dash cam was running
the 12V issue has struck people who have done all of those things - however those steps will reduce the possibility of it occuring, but abstinence from those items will not make the issue “go away”

#3 is particuarly suspect - because if the car has “finished” charging the 12V is very unlikely to occur

normally the 12V problem occurs early in the charging cycle because the car is ‘confused’ by the charger or the charger settings and gets stuck in a loop - it drains the 12V and never finishes the charging session - if the car has finished a charging session you are past the point in time when the 12V issue was most likley to strike…

all of these steps will reduce the chance of the problem occurring, but they are not sufficient to prevent it from ever occurring - the fact that it hasn’t occurred to any one Taycan owner is simply proof that it’s a truly random non-reproducible problem associated with L2 charging…

I have an anti-elephant stomping neckless around my neck, and I’ve never been stomped by an elephant - it must be working.
Where can I get one of those necklaces? That’s my one fear.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
In your own logic: why didn't you put it to the test instead of making an assumption?

I've heard that you shouldn't keep your key near the car cuz it could drain the 12V battery.
C'mon...

What I'm trying to say is that you now have a tool to test if the issue still remains.
Point is, it's an assumption based on nothing.
We simply don't know until someone puts it to the test.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now that's a clear result.
I love clear results over assumptions.
Good to hear the mistery is solved! :)
I am going to clarify what exactly happened when I pick up the car. Car was plugged in and charging so I’m surprised this would happen.

keep y’all posted. Should have the car back today.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Car was plugged in and charging so I’m surprised this would happen.
that's the insanity of this bug - the car lets the 12V battery go dead while plugged into power - that's like dying of dehydration while swimming in lake arrowhead.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alright folks. Got the car back and got deets.

Basically in my case - dashcam was drawing power while car was off however the main pack wasn’t charging the 12v properly. So while cam drained the 12v the software bug is the root cause. Latest software update in WMA6 campaign is latest fix.

Go to your local dealer to install the update. This is a control unit update. Since all my instrument panel settings were reset I am speculating this was a firmware update on hardware components in the car not just an OS/application software update for PCM. So it’s a serious attempt by Porsche to address the issue. See image.

Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one 2BD66615-B443-4711-88C0-E191830F2506

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, in fact, you're saying you can test if the 12V issue is eliminated?
Try this and you know for sure the issue is gone.

Is this a proven method?
And what are the results?
Are the results consistent and repeatable?
Where did you get this procedure from?

I wonder why Porsche doesn't know this?
[/QUOTE

Can't share where I got this info. But I saw "something".

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update.

I did a quick test by plugging in dashcam to 12v socket. Turned off car and locked the door. Came back 20 minutes and dashcam was still on. Based on what the dealership said, prior to WMA6 campaign update, this would result in 12v being drained. After update it should be fine. In traditional ICE cars, this would for sure drain the battery.

Luckily in my 911 (as a control test) this is not the case. Car cuts power to the 12v socket after a few minutes of locking the car.

Tip for others as well. If you have anything plugged into your 12v socket (center console) be wary of drainage.

OP
OP
Crazycanuck

Crazycanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan 12V issue strikes another one 0F9ACA4B-0179-4CE5-BEF2-1230BF8A6334

Gonna run another test but at 30 mins
Sponsored