Slowing down with the recuperation On/Auto. Does it use friction breaks?

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
Hey guys.
Can I say that if I use a recuperation braking system it means that breaking pads/discs will last longer? Recuperation slowing doesn't use friction braking.
Is this statement correct?

Wondering how can I make my breaks live longer:)

P.S: I highly recommend using auto recuperation. It seems it detects traffic ahead and slows down only when needed. It was a discovery for me. Great feature. And can be activated by holding the recuperation button for more than 1 sec. (besides the traditional options menu).

Attached photo of this morning's service visit^^ Was changing the alarm system (known alarm problem with CT)

Porsche Taycan Slowing down with the recuperation On/Auto. Does it use friction breaks? camphoto_162216788.JPG
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
As best I know - from reading this forum......

The car decides when to use 'discs' when you use the brake pedal.
It does about 90% braking through regen and only uses discs when braking hard (I read 0.6g somewhere?).

Don't worry about brake pads. They get used very little - unless you are on a track.

The Taycan is very sophisticated at making the brake pedal feel traditional - while managing disc braking and regen braking.

You can see this on the dash with the green regen gauge.

👍

Last edited:

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
to add, Porsche fully expects your brakes not to get used. That is why they added the PSCB option, which for most people doesn't require any maintenance for the life of the car. And if you have the good old iron brakes, Porsche now recommends a time-based maintenance schedule on them for the taycan as they don't expect the pads to actually get used enough to warrant a replacement.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey guys.
Can I say that if I use a recuperation braking system it means that breaking pads/discs will last longer? Recuperation slowing doesn't use friction braking.
Is this statement correct?

Wondering how can I make my breaks live longer:)

P.S: I highly recommend using auto recuperation. It seems it detects traffic ahead and slows down only when needed. It was a discovery for me. Great feature. And can be activated by holding the recuperation button for more than 1 sec. (besides the traditional options menu).

Attached photo of this morning's service visit^^ Was changing the alarm system (known alarm problem with CT)

camphoto_162216788.JPG
Using the overrun recuperation will not use the disc brakes and uses the motors instead.

Equally, using the brakes generates braking recuperation again using the motors rather than this disc.

More recuperation generated by using the brakes.

Overall,. coasting is much more efficient in enhancing range.

Motor braking occurs most of the time once underway (a few short miles).

Your discs will last a long time so don't over think this.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The button doesn’t change when regen vs. brakes are used. Regen is always there when you press the brake pedal. The button changes what happens when you aren’t using the brake pedal.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
(I read 0.6g somewhere?).
Because the Taycan has a fixed maximum power for recup and energy increases with the square of velocity, the maximum decel rate from recup should be a function of the velocity. Porsche may be doing something different, but the below would be an upper bound based on 2300kg and 265kW (if I did the math right 😬).

Y-axis: max recuperation deceleration rate in g
X-axis: mph

Porsche Taycan Slowing down with the recuperation On/Auto. Does it use friction breaks? B901A636-A335-49B1-80A3-4EEF7C1A02DE
Sponsored

Last edited: