%SOH loss with all DC X 3 years (#miles) vs all Level 2 X 3 years (#miles)

RTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 930, GT3, Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
Since we all get 3 years of free DC charging with our purchase, this would be a worthwhile analysis. According to one report for the Nissan Leaf, the difference is 3% more loss of SOH after 50000 miles. What do you think it is for the Taycan?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Since we all get 3 years of free DC charging with our purchase, this would be a worthwhile analysis. According to one report for the Nissan Leaf, the difference is 3% more loss of SOH after 50000 miles. What do you think it is for the Taycan?
I didn’t get free DC charging with mine and the nearest Porsche discount charger is so far away I have never used one.
The biggest attraction for me with an EV is charging at home, so not a real concern for people like me.
I have used a DC charger 4 times since I bought my Taycan.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I didn't get free charging either (nor did anyone in Europe as far as I know).

So... Charging at 22kwh AC vs charging at 25kwh DC will bring extra 3% degradation?

Don't think so 😂

Maybe change the wording to slow charging vs fast charging aka charging at < 83kwh vs >= 83kwh (charging at under 1C vs more than 1C)

OP
OP
RTH

RTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 930, GT3, Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
The 3-year free DC charging we get here in there U.S. is at rates of 150kwh-350kwh. Where as I do not know what the rate is at the DC charging mentioned here in the following quote of estimate from the Idaho National Lab.
"The INL tested two pairs of Nissan Leaf EVs from the 2012 model year that were driven and charged twice daily. Two were replenished from 240-volt "Level 2" chargers like those used in one's garage, with the other two taken to Level 3 stations. They were each were driven on public reads in the Phoenix, Ariz. area over the course of a year. They were tested under the same conditions, with their climate control systems set at 72 degrees and the same set of drivers piloting all four cars. The vehicles’ battery capacity was tested at 10,000-mile intervals.

After all four test cars had been driven for 50,000 miles, the Level 2 cars had lost around 23 percent of their original battery capacity, while the Level 3 cars were down by around 27 percent. "

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
All good. I'm just trying to change the world like Don Quixote against the windmills. DC isn't bad by itself. It's all electrons after all. It's the charge speed that causes degradation.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
OP
OP
RTH

RTH

Threads
Reaction score