xraymanrr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, BMW 430ix, Audi A3, Toyota RAV4
Country flag
I recently purchased the 2022 model. My Porsche APP says I only have a one year contract with Electrify America. How can I get it corrected to three years?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I recently purchased the 2022 model. My Porsche APP says I only have a one year contract with Electrify America. How can I get it corrected to three years?
I believe it's only one year at a time, but auto-renews for free for first three years. Certainly that is the way it is in Europe with Porsche Charging Service/IONITY.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I believe it's only one year at a time, but auto-renews for free for first three years. Certainly that is the way it is in Europe with Porsche Charging Service/IONITY.
it is also this way in US (I don’t know how it’s handled in mexico or canada) - but my 3 year free charging is delivered to my account - 1 year at a time…

I’m into my 2nd year…and it auto renewed…
July 2020 - July 2021
July 2021 - today…

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag
You will get three years at the end of each calendar year it is automatically renewed until the three years are up

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
An FYI for the auto-renew. You should get an email ahead of the expiration and will have to go into the portal to purchase the next year's of charging. The cost will be $0.00.

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Wonder what the rate will be after the three years? By Kw or time?

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
confirmed that it resets every year. We only use during road trips, so the 3 years is going to be very little $$

Satiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Wonder what the rate will be after the three years? By Kw or time?
Rates are always based on kW (energy charged) than duration.

Porsche thought all EA charging stations operate at 100% efficiency (@150kWh), thus only requires 25 min to charge full a 79kW battery 😁.

If more than 30 min required , just end the session before 30 min , disconnect & connect. Or charge multiple times through a day .

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
If more than 30 min required , just end the session before 30 min , disconnect & connect. Or charge multiple times through a day .
There’s no “cool down” period on the free EA charging before you can reconnect and charge again? I remember someone at the dealership telling me last year that you had to wait another hour after completing a 30-min charge to initiate another charge. Then again, I forgot if that was a Porsche, Audi, some other make dealership that I visited when I heard that. I go car window-shopping a lot haha

Satiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
kW is power or charge rate.
kWh is energy.
True, my bad missed h in few places .

What I intend saying is Porsche assumed EA stations (which are 150kW charge rate) to operate at 100% efficiency to charge 79kWh in less than 30 min !

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Rates are always based on kW (energy charged) than duration.

Porsche thought all EA charging stations operate at 100% efficiency (@150kWh), thus only requires 25 min to charge full a 79kW battery 😁.

A number of us have done more than 30 min sessions and never been charged a dime for the excess - Porsche doesn’t seem bothered but of course can’t say that will be the norm :)

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So sounds like no has any idea of what the rate will be per kwh, better than EA default of 0.43/kWh or same? I will be finding out in May! If same as EA can’t wait to dump the Porsche app for EA’s. Porsche is a convoluted mess with two many clicks to get to the right page

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it varies by state - but mostly you are charged by kWh

I've been charged for "over 30 min"
I've not been charged for "over 30 min"
I've been charged an idle fee
I've charged "for free"

it's not Porsche that decides to charge you or not - it's EA - sometimes their billing systems are all wonky and they simply can't complete the billing process and therefore you dont' get charged if the session was started via the Porsche "free" charging.

what you are experiencing is _NOT_ Porsche "policy" - it's simply EA billing system bugs/faults which leads to very very inconsistent results

the reason billing by time vs. kWh varies by state is that there are regulations in some states that if you charge by "kWh" you are then regulated like a utility - but if you charge by "time" it's a normal "parking fee" and no regulation is required - it all depends on how EA wants to interact with those local regional regulations.

mostly regardless of 150 kW or 350 KW stations if they are behaving correctly you will be at 80-90% SOC in 30 min or less - so the need for a 2nd session is rarely beneficial unless you are trying to top off to 97% or more - it can take a very very very long time to charge from 93% to 100% vs. the time it took to get to the low 90% range…charge rate is super super super slow once you are in the 90% SOC region…

any billing irregularities are just that and caused by EA not having a rock solid handled on billing, communications, station reliability, or a multitude of other factors. Attributing any billing behaviors to Porsche Policy when interacting with EA is simply missing the point.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A number of us have done more than 30 min sessions and never been charged a dime for the excess - Porsche doesn’t seem bothered but of course can’t say that will be the norm :)
I need to try this again as the last time I went over by less than a minute, and a charge showed up on my CC for $0.23! It probably cost them more to make that charge since VISA normally charges $0.35 per transaction don't they...at least that's what it was when I had a business.
Sponsored