Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...dards-for-electric-vehicle-charging-networks/

“The rule will require EV charging stations every 50 miles and no more than a mile off the highway, emphasizing the interstate highway system and alternative fuel corridors, according to Buttigieg.

“The proposed rule requires at least four 150-kilowatt DC fast-charging ports per station so that the station can serve multiple customers, and it ensures safe installation and maintenance by qualified technicians, creating new jobs in this EV infrastructure sector,” Buttigieg said.”
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Th article I linked to said that this was discussed on Wednesday. It’s not the BBB plan and it appears to leave the tax credits unchanged (hopefully).

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish they would just start installing them at the interstate rest stops. They have power, land, placement… what else do you need??
There are all sorts of commercial activities that might be "nice to have" at interstate rest stops, including gasoline sales. Where would you draw the line?

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
There are all sorts of commercial activities that might be "nice to have" at interstate rest stops, including gasoline sales. Where would you draw the line?
I really don't understand this comment. Are you concerned that these interstate rest stops are becoming too bloated, and that adding a dozen or so DCFCs would be a slippery slope to.... what exactly?

If we end up in a future where DCFCs don't exist at interstate service stations, we better have something 10 times better than EVs somehow, because it isn't just a logical next step, but an essential one for the future of EVs.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I really don't understand this comment. Are you concerned that these interstate rest stops are becoming too bloated, and that adding a dozen or so DCFCs would be a slippery slope to.... what exactly?

If we end up in a future where DCFCs don't exist at interstate service stations, we better have something 10 times better than EVs somehow, because it isn't just a logical next step, but an essential one for the future of EVs.
I think that insisting on chargers at interstate rest areas is misplaced.
while there are some toll roads with service plazas that have chargers, fueling stations and fast food courts.

however rest areas with amenities like that are rare on the typical interstates.

what is needed is more chargers at the exits of the interstates.

at many of interstate exits you will have at least one gas station, EV charging has to become as ubiquitous as gas stations if the evolution to EVs from ice is to become acceptable to the main stream population.

I people know that they could get a charge as easy as they could refuel an ICE that would change the views of many.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I think that insisting on chargers at interstate rest areas is misplaced.
while there are some toll roads with service plazas that have chargers, fueling stations and fast food courts.

however rest areas with amenities like that are rare on the typical interstates.

what is needed is more chargers at the exits of the interstates.

at many of interstate exits you will have at least one gas station, EV charging has to become as ubiquitous as gas stations if the evolution to EVs from ice is to become acceptable to the main stream population.

I people know that they could get a charge as easy as they could refuel an ICE that would change the views of many.
Interesting, maybe we just have different road trip habits based on different parts of the country. I've done a good handful of road trips, and I almost exclusively stop at the service stations because I can rely on them to be open at all times, have a good number of amenities, be reasonably safe, and they're spaced often enough (and clearly noting how far before the next one) that I can easily plan my trip on the fly to make use of them.

I don't inherently disagree that we need chargers at most highway exits, but service plazas aren't that rare in my experience, and we absolutely need DCFCs there.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
Status
Not open for further replies.