Stingy wipers

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is anyone else dissatisfied with the automatic wipers on the Taycan? I've had rain sensor automatic wipers on my BMWs for 15 years, and it "just worked". With the taycan, the wiper speed isn't sufficient to keep the windshield clear. I've tried adjusting it, and can't get it to be fast enough without setting the speed high and bypassing the rain sensor wiper mode. I think I have it set right, but the manual is kind of confusing and I'm hoping I don't.

This seems like another thing that Porsche went a bit overboard with, to save electricity. Like the low light trunk lighting discussed in another thread today.
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Works fine for me. Did you get ceramic or PPF? If they applied product over the sensor it can make it less sensitive to rain.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Works fine for me. Did you get ceramic or PPF? If they applied product over the sensor it can make it less sensitive to rain.
Hmm. Yes, I do have ceramic coating on the windshield. So do you know for a fact that that could be the issue? From my understanding of how rain sensors work, they use a sensor on the inside of the windshield that detects droplets by how an infrared beam is reflected back. I don't see how the ceramic could make it less sensitive, if anything I'd think it would be more sensitive. But maybe you're right... Is there any kind of sensitivity adjustment that can be done, do you know?

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Do you have acoustic insulating glass?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is anyone else dissatisfied with the automatic wipers on the Taycan? I've had rain sensor automatic wipers on my BMWs for 15 years, and it "just worked". With the taycan, the wiper speed isn't sufficient to keep the windshield clear. I've tried adjusting it, and can't get it to be fast enough without setting the speed high and bypassing the rain sensor wiper mode. I think I have it set right, but the manual is kind of confusing and I'm hoping I don't.

This seems like another thing that Porsche went a bit overboard with, to save electricity. Like the low light trunk lighting discussed in another thread today.
Dave T, Is yours MY2020? If so, have you had the WLG2 software update? My wipers used to randomly operate when it was completely dry, and, even though on the highest setting, would only operate in the rain when it was really heavy. So basically the exact opposite of what you want from a wiper sensor! Since the software up-date though, it's worked fine.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Dave T, Is yours MY2020? If so, have you had the WLG2 software update? My wipers used to randomly operate when it was completely dry, and, even though on the highest setting, would only operate in the rain when it was really heavy. So basically the exact opposite of what you want from a wiper sensor! Since the software up-date though, it's worked fine.
I don't know which firmware I'm on. My car is in the shop so I can't check. Unless, is there a way to check the firmware version from the Porsche Connect app? I asked this today because I'm wondering if it's something the dealer can fix while they have the car. I also emailed my SA about this, but haven't heard back.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't know which firmware I'm on. My car is in the shop so I can't check. Unless, is there a way to check the firmware version from the Porsche Connect app? I asked this today because I'm wondering if it's something the dealer can fix while they have the car. I also emailed my SA about this, but haven't heard back.
No, I don't think there is a way for us to check what up-dates have been applied, annoyingly. That would just be too easy. Ask your dealer if WLG2 has been applied and they'll know what you are talking about. If it is MY2020, pretty sure the dealer will up-date you to that if it's in service, because it was a sort of soft recall item for MY2020s.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that would be why. The rain sensor in Porsche and vwcars detects the sonic pattern of rain to activate the wipers. The acoustic glass dulls the vibration of the rain thus making the sensor less sensitive. It’s very very annoying. I have the same issue on my Bentley with acoustic glass

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
that would be why. The rain sensor in Porsche and vwcars detects the sonic pattern of rain to activate the wipers. The acoustic glass dulls the vibration of the rain thus making the sensor less sensitive. It’s very very annoying. I have the same issue on my Bentley with acoustic glass
Really? Good to know, thanks. So this means the wipers wouldn't come on automatically if, for example, you started the car with a wet windshield, but after it had stopped raining? It seems like a weird way for it to work. But it would be obvious that they should tune the sensors to take the lessened sensitivity into account. I'm still waiting to hear back from my SA as to whether or not they could adjust the sensitivity.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover - Defender - Taycan Turbo arriving soon
Country flag
Do you have acoustic insulating glass?
Good evening
does The acoustic glass make any difference to the taycan even though it’s electric which is extremely quiet anyhow ?

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good evening
does The acoustic glass make any difference to the taycan even though it’s electric which is extremely quiet anyhow ?
This is off topic, but yes it makes the car quieter in terms of road noise you hear, etc. As you said, the engine is very quiet, but that has nothing to do with other noises external to the car, and road noise, etc.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Happened to our Macan when windshield film was added, in addition to poorer headlight auto-dimming.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? Good to know, thanks. So this means the wipers wouldn't come on automatically if, for example, you started the car with a wet windshield, but after it had stopped raining? It seems like a weird way for it to work. But it would be obvious that they should tune the sensors to take the lessened sensitivity into account. I'm still waiting to hear back from my SA as to whether or not they could adjust the sensitivity.
exactly, if you adjust the mirror sometimes it will trigger the wipers too ?

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I'm going to have to ask for a cite on that. AFAIK it uses an infrared sensor and there is a cutout of the metallic film where is the sensor is to allow it to work. How would an acoustic sensor work for snow (and the wipers *do* auto wipe for snow)? Also, the front windshield is laminated regardless of whether you get acoustic glass, so I doubt there is any/little difference in "vibrations" on the front windshield (the sound reduction is due to laminated glass on the side windows).
Sponsored

Last edited: