manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
2. Charging at 150 kW appears slower than the 350 kW at any battery state of charge. I only had to top up on the return trip. At 80+% the 350KW would charge at around 95-100 kW, while the 150 kW at 80-90 kW. I cannot understand why, and it may be just N=1.

So overall: faster charging when working, need more and better locations, need reliable chargers.
My guess would be the 400V to 800V conversion for the 150kW chargers. I believe those only operate at 400V versus the 350kW chargers operate at a range of voltages including 400V and 800V.
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Yeah, voltage difference between the 350kw 800 volt & 150kw 400 volt. You must have the on board 150kw upgraded charger.

Jaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche - several
Country flag
Jumping in here. Yes you can re-set by locking the car and waiting 15 min but walk away form car with key to perform full clear.

Car must be unlocked to remove the plug - don't forget and hit the button once for release when completed charging to unlock it.

I've been error and charge error free so far and we are also planning a long range trip, but need EA to open I95 Eastern south units. I'm comfortable with charging on road so far, but always check locations for working and how many units they have on top of 350s etc. Occasionally one or two are down and not working.

Also use Plug Share to view locations as they provide photos of the charging area.

Sorry this happen to you, but planning is need at this early stage - no question.

One other note: I've checked out EvGo, Charge Point and EA "local" locations just to fool around and become familiar with all the different units and operations.

Love the car - and for me its worth every penny. Just do need to plan when traveling beyond home circle.
Joe

Larry Martin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1960 Roadster
Country flag
I just took mine on it’s first long trip. Went 185 miles to the first destination non stop. Everything was awesome. Kept it at 72MPH and efficiency was great. After the first stop with four people and about 100lbs in the trunk, I had around 65 miles left of range. So, around 250 miles of real range loaded. Fantastic. But then, I went 30 miles more miles to an Electrify America charging station. The first two chargers could not connect (not clear if they couldn’t connect to the car or to the cloud). Then, I couldn’t get the plug out of the car. I have no idea why. My car was not turned “off” so maybe that was it? I turned it off and locked the doors. Still couldn’t get the plug out so I had to go to the emergency release inside the passenger door opening. Pulled the string and released the plug. It came out just fine. I tried a third high speed charger there and plugged everything in. This time there was a red light on the button in the charging port on the car. The message in the car was “impossible to charge”. Now, I had 30 miles left and no way to charge. Electrify America said that the chargers tested out fine on their end (but I don’t trust they know what they were talking about from the comments of the operator on the phone). I then called Porsche roadside assistance. NO HELP in terms of trouble shooting. All they know how to do is call tow trucks (which they did). Again, no trouble shooting in the “good to know” app, no tech team to call on the road. Only result was to wait 2 hours for a tow, find a rental car and trust that the tow truck driver get the car safely on the flat bed and hauled 2 1/2 hours back to my dealer. By the way, the tow truck driver had no idea how to put it in gear or set it to Park (I gave a full tutorial, believe me!). When it got to the dealer, all they were told to do is clear the faults and then it took the high speed charge just fine. I had the car by the end of the next day. But Porsche and the dealer have no idea. Was it the charger, the car? Who knows? What happened? One question is when you have a fault like that (with the red ring lighting up), is there a way to clear the faults “out in the field” or reboot the car so you can try to charge somewhere else? I realize everything is new and problems will happen. As early adopters, this is our risk. But, we should have a tech team to be able to call. Shouldn’t there be a 24/7 roadside assistance team for Taycan while there are bugs to be worked out? Unfortunately, I’m now not enthusiastic about taking this car on a long trip (which I really hate feeling that way). What do you think? Shouldn’t there be more of a 24/7 call line for Taycan emergencies? What do you think happened?
I share your pain. I've taken my 4S to a EA charging station maybe 10 times, and none of the EA charging stations worked using the EA app. I consequently had to call EA for assistance in getting my car charged - using the lower voltage 150 stations. Some of the time non of the charging stations worked, and I had to take the time to find and drive to another. I've complained about this multiple times to both Porsche Connect (I agree they're worthless) and to the dealer - all who provided no follow-up or resolution. I love the car but agree that Porsche is losing a lot of credibility by not having a solid system with BACKUP in place.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Other things:
1. Dodgy places. I would never charge at the Madison place at night. The chargers are in a secluded area on the side of the building, far from any road, business, traffic. Furthermore, with the Walmart now being closed at 10 PM, you cannot even go and wait inside. I would feel seriously uncomfortable. If EA are serious about the network they need to put them in places that feel safer. T
So overall: faster charging when working, need more and better locations, need reliable chargers.
Thanks for sharing your tale......tough to read.
Gotta say...the reference to the Walmart EA station caught my eye since it's just down the street from my business. What a weird place to but a whole raft of new EA pumps.
Your Tay and mine must be the only EV's that have ever charged there. I've never seen another car (of any make).
And BTW......both of my charge sessions there went South, took an hour, and I only succeeded with EA 800# assist and their bearing the cost. Connect in Atlanta knows me on a first name basis. :headbang:

Nhb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just took mine on it’s first long trip. Went 185 miles to the first destination non stop. Everything was awesome. Kept it at 72MPH and efficiency was great. After the first stop with four people and about 100lbs in the trunk, I had around 65 miles left of range. So, around 250 miles of real range loaded. Fantastic. But then, I went 30 miles more miles to an Electrify America charging station. The first two chargers could not connect (not clear if they couldn’t connect to the car or to the cloud). Then, I couldn’t get the plug out of the car. I have no idea why. My car was not turned “off” so maybe that was it? I turned it off and locked the doors. Still couldn’t get the plug out so I had to go to the emergency release inside the passenger door opening. Pulled the string and released the plug. It came out just fine. I tried a third high speed charger there and plugged everything in. This time there was a red light on the button in the charging port on the car. The message in the car was “impossible to charge”. Now, I had 30 miles left and no way to charge. Electrify America said that the chargers tested out fine on their end (but I don’t trust they know what they were talking about from the comments of the operator on the phone). I then called Porsche roadside assistance. NO HELP in terms of trouble shooting. All they know how to do is call tow trucks (which they did). Again, no trouble shooting in the “good to know” app, no tech team to call on the road. Only result was to wait 2 hours for a tow, find a rental car and trust that the tow truck driver get the car safely on the flat bed and hauled 2 1/2 hours back to my dealer. By the way, the tow truck driver had no idea how to put it in gear or set it to Park (I gave a full tutorial, believe me!). When it got to the dealer, all they were told to do is clear the faults and then it took the high speed charge just fine. I had the car by the end of the next day. But Porsche and the dealer have no idea. Was it the charger, the car? Who knows? What happened? One question is when you have a fault like that (with the red ring lighting up), is there a way to clear the faults “out in the field” or reboot the car so you can try to charge somewhere else? I realize everything is new and problems will happen. As early adopters, this is our risk. But, we should have a tech team to be able to call. Shouldn’t there be a 24/7 roadside assistance team for Taycan while there are bugs to be worked out? Unfortunately, I’m now not enthusiastic about taking this car on a long trip (which I really hate feeling that way). What do you think? Shouldn’t there be more of a 24/7 call line for Taycan emergencies? What do you think happened?
I had the same issue with Porsche road side assistance yesterday. I was on hold for 10mins and they came back and said they had no idea how to help with the charging.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your tale......tough to read.
Gotta say...the reference to the Walmart EA station caught my eye since it's just down the street from my business. What a weird place to but a whole raft of new EA pumps.
Your Tay and mine must be the only EV's that have ever charged there. I've never seen another car (of any make).
And BTW......both of my charge sessions there went South, took an hour, and I only succeeded with EA 800# assist and their bearing the cost. Connect in Atlanta knows me on a first name basis. :headbang:
Now that would have been something to have two Taycans charging there at the same time..... Maybe on next trip will cross our paths - always great to see other owners. Did you happen to use the EA in Tomah? That was another option, but the range was so good I did not have to take it.

On a separate note, just when I thought my car was unique in the city, look what parked in the ramp? Turbo stormtrooper version :)
Porsche Taycan Stranded! IMG_3049

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Jumping in here. Yes you can re-set by locking the car and waiting 15 min but walk away form car with key to perform full clear.

Car must be unlocked to remove the plug - don't forget and hit the button once for release when completed charging to unlock it.

I've been error and charge error free so far and we are also planning a long range trip, but need EA to open I95 Eastern south units. I'm comfortable with charging on road so far, but always check locations for working and how many units they have on top of 350s etc. Occasionally one or two are down and not working.

Also use Plug Share to view locations as they provide photos of the charging area.

Sorry this happen to you, but planning is need at this early stage - no question.

One other note: I've checked out EvGo, Charge Point and EA "local" locations just to fool around and become familiar with all the different units and operations.

Love the car - and for me its worth every penny. Just do need to plan when traveling beyond home circle.
Joe
@Jaf I’m about to enter the NE charger universe out of Westchester Cty - can you tell me your out of the home full EV Charger lineup including how you “pay at the pump” - app or RFID card or something else? I want to have all of my options covered when I start charging on the road. Thanks!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My guess would be the 400V to 800V conversion for the 150kW chargers. I believe those only operate at 400V versus the 350kW chargers operate at a range of voltages including 400V and 800V.
To my knowledge all EA Chargers are rated at 1000VDC max, wether 150 or 350kW. Haven't looked at the 75kW in some intercity malls. May depend on charger brand though, I've only looked around Northern California. But I thought EA was always focused on supporting 800V charging.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Jaf I’m about to enter the NE charger universe out of Westchester Cty - can you tell me your out of the home full EV Charger lineup including how you “pay at the pump” - app or RFID card or something else? I want to have all of my options covered when I start charging on the road. Thanks!
I would recommend you check out A Better Route Planner (app or web site) to see what Chargers it picks for the route you are planning and also plugshare.com to see the ratings on those Chargers and what the recent comments were, it's the Yelp of EV charging.

Jaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche - several
Country flag
Well I’ve signed up for three services EV go, chargePoint and electrify America. Both EV Go and ChargePoint when you sign up simply take a credit card for payment and when you need a charger use their app identify the location you’re at and start charge it unlocks the plug from the charging unit and then place it in your vehicle and hit go again to start charge that’s it I do the same thing with electrify America I applied for an account placed my credit card and use the application on my iPhone to locate the charger and hit start charging. They all seem to work the same way and I don’t use the free charging from Porsche with electrify America because it needs to work through Porsche connect and that’s not working very well for me or at least I haven’t tried again yet.

if I do any distance traveling I simply plan ahead of time by using the plug share app which shows every charger along any route then I simply look at the distances whether or not those charges are available or not if they’re in service or out of service and I make a decision on where to stop. Primarily focusing on electrify America because they have the fast chargers of 150 kW and 350 kW. go has 50 kW chargers but not a tremendous amount.
Once you become a custom to where you’re traveling and how to run these chargers and locate them in advance it’s not that big a deal. It’s just different but the car is so fantastic it’s worth the extra effort at the moment.

Hope this helps.

I’m in the Cental NJ/PA Princeton area.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wanted to add to @Jaf, EVgo app works very well and I never need to use the card even though you get one for free. ChargePoint works ok with app for fast charging, but there are also many level two charge point Chargers and for those you really want to have the RFID. I think you may have to pay a few dollars for it but it is well worth it.

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
Ya,... lots of complaining, but - if you are getting the Taycan to get from "point A to B", you should rethink and get a camry. The Taycan is the best car I have owned so far, and I have been across the entire spectrum! It is fun, powerful, quiet, and great looking. Yes, the charging network needs to be widely expanded, but I'm sure that will happen in time. For now, enjoy the amazing car and stop wining!

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I wanted to add to @Jaf, EVgo app works very well and I never need to use the card even though you get one for free. ChargePoint works ok with app for fast charging, but there are also many level two charge point Chargers and for those you really want to have the RFID. I think you may have to pay a few dollars for it but it is well worth it.
I will note that at least on iPhone (and I suspect on Android, though I can't confirm) you can get a Chargepoint NFC 'card' on the device. And those don't require an internet connection, so they are just as good as a plastic NFC card. I only have the EVGo plastic card because they don't support adding a contactless credential to Apple wallet.

Jaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche - several
Country flag
Ya,... lots of complaining, but - if you are getting the Taycan to get from "point A to B", you should rethink and get a camry. The Taycan is the best car I have owned so far, and I have been across the entire spectrum! It is fun, powerful, quiet, and great looking. Yes, the charging network needs to be widely expanded, but I'm sure that will happen in time. For now, enjoy the amazing car and stop wining!
Well said. Totally agree, but I’m finding it so good I can’t let myself from it....so, I take it A to B always too. It can be done even now ahead of roll out EA chargers. Just plan a little.
Sponsored