Sun visor clip not covered by warrantee?

Fairfaxphil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got my 4S in July. In month later the sun visor clip on the drivers side broke when i was returning the visor to the normal position. As i was driving, i did not look and pushed the visor and the clip broke. I waited to take to the dealer until it went in last week for the software upgrade (still there). Dealer said it was not covered by warrantee as it was a piece of plastic molding and Porsche does not coverplastic molding damage.
Does anyone else have a similar experience and was it covered by the warrantee?
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Not with Porsche, but I have had a similar response with other cars when parts like that broke. It really kind of depends if they view it as wear and tear kind of breakage.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same thing happened on my wife's new Audi A6. They claimed it wasn't covered as it's a $70 piece of plastic. A quick demand to speak with the service manager resolved the issue and they installed a new one gratis.

It's unconscionable to for the service department to claim it's not covered. I absolutely hate being nickeled and dimed on these expensive cars. Aggravating doesn't begin to describe these experiences.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I should have added: When I complained, I offered to install/replace the piece myself if they would deliver the part. (The part in question for me was easily screwed back in.) It worked, largely because the reason the dealer did not want to claim coverage is because the manufacturer would not compensate them for the time to install. That worked, at least in my case.

Gambler

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4
Country flag
That's good you were able to do it. Oh Boy, those dealers sometime time drive us crazy. Like in my case. I just got the car 2 weeks ago and upon checking porsche connect. It says needs tire sealant replacement and first aid kit. Drove all way back to the dealer and they said the car doesn't need tire sealant for replacement as it expire in 4 years and I don't have first aid kit to begin with!!

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Warranties don't cover misuse. If I spill coffee on the seat they won't repair it for free either.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
This just happened to me on the passenger side visor. When attempting to re-insert the visor into the clip it broke. Plastic piece seemed to be somewhat brittle. Looking to have it replaced next week. We'll see.
Porsche Taycan Sun visor clip not covered by warrantee? 6B06298A-0E5D-439F-A210-1CC52920F51B

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Add me to the list of those who have broken off the visor clip fastener. First it broke on the passenger side, and as I was examining the driver's side to see how the clip worked, it broke off too :rolleyes:

Porsche Taycan Sun visor clip not covered by warrantee? Visor Clips

I called the dealer about repair and they said that these parts are not covered under warranty. When I asked for the Service Bulletin that explained this, here's what I got --

Porsche Taycan Sun visor clip not covered by warrantee? image001.png@01D79DAC.E78D1E80

Note that it states that "approximately half" of the claims are deemed to have been caused by misuse. BUT!! (and I'm no statistician here) it seem clear that "approximately half" of the claims were due to part failure. I plan to ask for a better explanation when I'm at the dealer.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Add me to the list of those who have broken off the visor clip fastener. First it broke on the passenger side, and as I was examining the driver's side to see how the clip worked, it broke off too :rolleyes:

Visor Clips.jpg

I called the dealer about repair and they said that these parts are not covered under warranty. When I asked for the Service Bulletin that explained this, here's what I got --

image001.png@01D79DAC.E78D1E80.png

Note that it states that "approximately half" of the claims are deemed to have been caused by misuse. BUT!! (and I'm no statistician here) it seem clear that "approximately half" of the claims were due to part failure. I plan to ask for a better explanation when I'm at the dealer.
Here is a picture of my clip. The failure point (one sided) appears similar.

Porsche Taycan Sun visor clip not covered by warrantee? 5CE061A8-4A88-48D5-94B0-BEFEE59A6F6D

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This seems to be common enough given the number of people who chimed in here, and the fact that Porsche issued a bulletin about it. Are there other parts of the Taycan similarly fragile? I thought "German engineering" is supposed to yield solid, long lasting products, or are they outsourcing now?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The part may actually not be a Porsche designed and built part. Amazon has several tthat look identical. This one is for Audi models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BC6TCX5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3D9H8KG6EVNGWAAN60Y3
I'd be tempted to make one from anodized aluminum, but the concern in situations like this that if you make one part stronger, the next part in the chain (in this case the mount to the car body) may fail instead, which might be a much more expensive fix.

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
I'd be tempted to make one from anodized aluminum, but the concern in situations like this that if you make one part stronger, the next part in the chain (in this case the mount to the car body) may fail instead, which might be a much more expensive fix.
It simply pushes into two holes in the roof structure.
Sponsored