ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A few months ago Bjorn tested a 4s with 20" wheels and the 79kWh LINK that a follower let him borrow. He had an impressive range from that and now another follower has let him borrow a 4S with 19 inch wheels and the 93kWh without Sport Chrono. He did some launches in sport mode at 94% and got 3.88s best 0-100kph, unsurprisingly beating the Porsche number of 4.0s.

He had an impressive charging session and had efficiency of:
203Wh/km at 120kph with an estimated range of 425km with his current estimated usable battery of 86.1kWh.
At 90kph he saw 150Wh/km so over 570km range. He claims it's the tires but I don't believe the 20" will be much different as I trust Porsche's range estimator. 21" can hurt for sure, 305mm tires are HUGE.

Here is the slightly trimmed live stream at 4hrs

Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test
Teslabjorn Live

I will paste his edited version below this when I see it posted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
That car has a weird spec, btw.

- Carmine red
- Race-tex seats
- Noise reduced glass

but

- no sport chrono
- 19" wheels

At least that's what I could see from the video.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I know it's not probably a common configuration, but that's what makes Porsche's special, most every one is unique.

Here are a few snapshot from video of range and weight. See 570km or 360mi range at 56mph with pretty optimal conditions.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live Screenshot_20200816-125306
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live Screenshot_20200816-125826

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live Screenshot_20200816-125636

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

- Carmine red
- Race-tex seats
- Noise reduced glass

but

- no sport chrono
- 19" wheels

Well, I actually went for the 19” wheels too, not so much for the better range but mainly because I live in Potholia and bigger wheels won’t survive very long.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

- Carmine red
- Race-tex seats
- Noise reduced glass

but

- no sport chrono
- 19" wheels

Not sure why that is weird, but I guess everyone has preferences.

I went with red, leather, sport chono, the glass and the 19 inch wheels. I am not planning on tracking it, and between the potholes and longer trips, was happy with those.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That is super impressive. I’d love to see that in real life. Max I got at IONITY was 160Kw

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Not sure why that is weird, but I guess everyone has preferences.
I didn't mean to piss on someone's configuration, I just found the combo a little puzzling. Some really expensive options chosen while others have been passed over but we all have our preferences :)

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Engineering Explained did a nice video recently on the impact of wheel size on electric vehicle range. He used Tesla as the example, but the same would apply to the Taycan. Using Bjorn’s data above for the two Taycans, one with 20” wheels and one with 19” wheels illustrates the same point. At 120 kph (about 75 mph) the car with 19” wheels had an average consumption of 203 Wh/km while the car with 20” wheels had an average consumption of 223, or about a 9% difference (in line with the changes seen with the Tesla).

Anyone have any real life pictures/experience with the 19” standard wheels? They don’t look that attractive on the configurator, and I have not seen a car at a local dealer with the standard wheels. The added range, comfort and pothole resistance of the 19” wheels would be a plus, but I’m not sure I can pull the trigger on them from an aesthetics perspective. I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance, which came with the 20” wheels and low profile tires. I had a blow out on a relatively minor freeway pothole within a few days of buying the car. I switched to 18” aftermarket wheels to address that problem and sold the original wheels/tires for enough to cover the cost of the replacements.

Also, anyone have experience with aftermarket 19” wheels for the Taycan to replace the standard wheels?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Engineering Explained did a nice video recently on the impact of wheel size on electric vehicle range. He used Tesla as the example, but the same would apply to the Taycan. Using Bjorn’s data above for the two Taycans, one with 20” wheels and one with 19” wheels illustrates the same point. At 120 kph (about 75 mph) the car with 19” wheels had an average consumption of 203 Wh/km while the car with 20” wheels had an average consumption of 223, or about a 9% difference (in line with the changes seen with the Tesla).

Anyone have any real life pictures/experience with the 19” standard wheels? They don’t look that attractive on the configurator, and I have not seen a car at a local dealer with the standard wheels. The added range, comfort and pothole resistance of the 19” wheels would be a plus, but I’m not sure I can pull the trigger on them from an aesthetics perspective. I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance, which came with the 20” wheels and low profile tires. I had a blow out on a relatively minor freeway pothole within a few days of buying the car. I switched to 18” aftermarket wheels to address that problem and sold the original wheels/tires for enough to cover the cost of the replacements.

Also, anyone have experience with aftermarket 19” wheels for the Taycan to replace the standard wheels?
As for the 19" wheels I think @Reg can maybe comment. I think that they look much better in person rather than the configuration tool.

Thanks for the post, and I'm usually very impressed with the depth that Jason goes in such an analysis. However this one I found rather superficial.

Here is the comment I added to youtube.
I don't understand Jason leaving out so much information in this video. He talks about wheel diameter but fails to mention the wheel width for the different wheels. Often times the larger diameter wheels are for track performance and thus have wider wheels. Like the Taycan has rear wheels of 19" that are 265mm, 20" that are 285mm and 21" that are 305mm. Also the tire stickyness may change on what's fitted for the different rim sizes. Seems like a bit simplistic of an analysis to me.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
On the Porsche range calculator the 20” Aero wheels have better range than the standard 19”. This is assumes 85% motorway use, which I would have thought is most affected by the wheel size.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live 201E101B-699F-4686-910A-499D87081761
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live 46CF6F6C-B162-43D4-9B1D-F708752F6E42

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
On the Porsche range calculator the 20” Aero wheels have better range than the standard 19”. This is assumes 85% motorway use, which I would have thought is most affected by the wheel size.

201E101B-699F-4686-910A-499D87081761.png
46CF6F6C-B162-43D4-9B1D-F708752F6E42.png
These estimates don't align with the real word test reported by Bjorn where there was about a 9% efficiency loss going from 19" to 20" at 120 kpm (note that the car with 20" wheels had the smaller battery, but that should not have a major impact on efficiency, if anything it would provide a weight advantage to the car with 20" wheels). Bjorn's data align pretty well with the efficiency reductions reported in the Engineering Explained video based on data from Tesla as reported in their official EPA submission.

Anyway, still wondering if anyone has real-life pictures of the 19" wheels and experiences to report. On the configurator they do not look very attractive, but in some videos I have seen of cars being tested they look nicer.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
These estimates don't align with the real word test reported by Bjorn where there was about a 9% efficiency loss going from 19" to 20" at 120 kpm (note that the car with 20" wheels had the smaller battery, but that should not have a major impact on efficiency, if anything it would provide a weight advantage to the car with 20" wheels). Bjorn's data align pretty well with the efficiency reductions reported in the Engineering Explained video based on data from Tesla as reported in their official EPA submission.

Anyway, still wondering if anyone has real-life pictures of the 19" wheels and experiences to report. On the configurator they do not look very attractive, but in some videos I have seen of cars being tested they look nicer.
Even though I had not seen those in reality when ordering, I opted for the 19" Aero wheels because there are so many potholes in the roads where I live that I need the sturdiest tires to protect the rims. (New Jersey: high in taxes, low in services.) The added aero efficiency is a welcome side effect of that choice. Personally, I think the 20" Aero wheels still look a little better but the 19" Aero wheels looked markedly better in reality than what I feared from the configurator.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S 93 kWh range and acceleration test - Teslabjorn Live FrankTaycanPic3
Sponsored