fblm

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
964RS3.8, 964Turbo3.4
Country flag
I'm really struggling to find out what the difference is between a 4S with PTV Plus and without. I can't believe for a second that the base car has an open rear diff so I assume it has either an LSD or an open diff plus electronically controlled individual braking of each wheel to replicate a slip diff. I assume it's the latter. Which begs the question, what is PTV Plus then? Surely it's not an LSD and electronically controlled braking because it's only 1k gbp... The porsche website is useless on the subject!

That covers what it is but does it actually make any discernable difference? Anyone driven both?

Many thanks. Trying to nail down a spec to order.
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I'm really struggling to find out what the difference is between a 4S with PTV Plus and without. I can't believe for a second that the base car has an open rear diff so I assume it has either an LSD or an open diff plus electronically controlled individual braking of each wheel to replicate a slip diff. I assume it's the latter. Which begs the question, what is PTV Plus then? Surely it's not an LSD and electronically controlled braking because it's only 1k gbp... The porsche website is useless on the subject!

That covers what it is but does it actually make any discernable difference? Anyone driven both?

Many thanks. Trying to nail down a spec to order.
That's exactly what it is. I have it on my Macan Turbo. Will you miss it if you don't have it? Probably not. Does it make the car more nimble? Yes. It also helps for driving in snow.

The Taycan has an even better option - rear wheel steering. I'd recommend passing on any appearance options necessary to fit the full Performance Package into your build. Get the full Porsche experience.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I'd recommend passing on any appearance options necessary to fit the full Performance Package into your build. Get the full Porsche experience.
Could not agree more. The Turbo S includes PTV+ and RWS and Mark Weber added PDCC to his personal Turbo S, saying: “Whenever Porsche gives you the option of putting the cherry on the cake in terms of dynamics, it’s something I’ll always do.”

Our Turbo S is having some carbon-fiber blades replaced (shipping damage) and we have a 4S loaner. Driving this 4S loaner (no handling options) is like driving a car made by a different manufacturer - it does not have the same sharp, clean, stable handling of the Turbo S. It is quite a shocking difference, complicated by the high road noise (no sound insulating glass and all-season tires). The all-season tires versus our summer tires also affect the handling.

Bottom line, if your budget works, you will not regret adding RWS, PDCC, and PTV+ to a Taycan 4 S. And I would add the Sound & Thermal insulating glass.

OP
OP

fblm

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
964RS3.8, 964Turbo3.4
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Strange how Porsche are so opaque as to the difference. To be honest once I spec it up a 4S it's only about 20 grand less than a turbo... seems a bit cheap not to!

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@wmras
I believe I just discovered that the sound & thermal insulating glass can be added to a car with metal roof......so I’m guessing it’s added to the windshield and rear window then?.......I always thought it was an add-on with the panoramic glass roof

Bottom line, if your budget works, you will not regret adding RWS, PDCC, and PTV+ to a Taycan 4 S. And I would add the Sound & Thermal insulating glass.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
@wmras
I believe I just discovered that the sound & thermal insulating glass can be added to a car with metal roof......so I’m guessing it’s added to the windshield and rear window then?.......I always thought it was an add-on with the panoramic glass roof
Windshield - metallic UV layer (would've already been laminated)
Side windows - laminated glass w/ metallic layer
Rear window - I heard no change because it has the antenna
Pano roof - no change; already multi-layer

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@Tay Tay
If I opt for the standard (metal) roof.......and choose the sound & thermal upgrade.......what windows sound insulated?

Windshield - metallic UV layer (would've already been laminated)
Side windows - laminated glass w/ metallic layer
Rear window - I heard no change because it has the antenna
Pano roof - no change; already multi-layer
Sponsored