Cars
Country flag
Disclaimers:
  • First EV for a long time petrolhead
  • Only Porsches ever owned have been 911s, currently have GT3 RS + Taycan
  • Cross shopped this purchase with BMW M5/Audi RS7/Mercedes E63
  • Driven multiple Tesla models
  • 134K Taycan 4S build with premium package and some sport bits
These are merely first observations, nothing more.
  • Interior
    • Base spec is disappointing (base leather, premium package), seats are nice but lots of plastic elsewhere.
    • Columns and headliner are either plastic or nylon looking mesh. For comparison last 2 BMWs were much nicer overall interior finish for much less $$
    • Some squeaks from the passenger door card
  • Tech
    • Touchscreen is slow to respond in many scenarios
    • No obvious WiFi connectivity for home
    • No wireless Apple Carplay
    • No automated cruise control (my 2018 Ford Raptor has this !!)
  • Driving dynamics
    • Forget everything above, Magic!!?
    • Why can’t Tesla sell me a Model S that does the same magic for less?
    • Exactly what I wanted
    • Who needs fancy auto driving modes (until traffic)
At the end of the (first) day I can say this: the Taycan is unapologetically a drivers car first. It does not compete with Tesla on any level other than driving dynamics, but that is what mattered the most to me. At some point I’d love to have some of the tech my wife’s BMW X7 has, forget Tesla, but for now I’m happy with gen 1. Let’s help Porsche get to gen 2!

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S impressions from new owner 3157FFBD-4981-4481-9314-8F0ED01AC5F6
Sponsored

Satin_Volcano

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2016 Gt3RS
Country flag
Looks good, Great taste in cars BTW, I have a 4s on order, GT3RS in the garage, and currently own an E63.

Is the base interior that bad?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
Looks good, Great taste in cars BTW, I have a 4s on order, GT3RS in the garage, and currently own an E63.
Thanks!!
Is the base interior that bad?
Maybe I’m spoiled, but for the price of the car I just assumed a better level of interior materials. The fit and finish aren’t bad, but there are some really obvious textured black plastic parts that should be leather or microfiber covered. Things like the lower door cards, the B pillars, the door pulls, etc. The Turbo I test drove had far more interior quality, so perhaps step up to the next tier?

Satin_Volcano

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2016 Gt3RS
Country flag
I upgraded the interior, black on chalk with race tex head liner and steering wheel, hopefully that helps it feel more rich

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
  • Touchscreen is slow to respond in many scenarios
  • No obvious WiFi connectivity for home
  • No wireless Apple Carplay
  • No automated cruise control (my 2018 Ford Raptor has this !!)
Do you have a MY2021 car?
Touchscreen is fast in mine.
Wireless Apple Carplay works fine for me (in the UK, not sure if it's a region thing)
Do you mean automated distance-adjusting cruise? Did you spec adaptive cruise? Agree it shouldn't be an option on a car of this price, but at least you get basic cruise for free! :D

I agree with you about the partial leather - there are too many cheap plastic bits. Even with my Turbo (which comes with the extended leather upgrade) some bits of the trim still feel cheaper than my 4 year-old Mercedes CLS.

dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agree on the base interior. For the price, the leather package should be included. Too many plastics for sure, but I wonder if that is simply to minimize weight wherever possible since its already so heavy. Adaptive cruise control should also be a baseline standard.

I agree that the driving dynamics overshadow these issues. Fortunately, you can option the rest if you have the coin. But really, they should come standard at this price point.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
It does not compete with Tesla on any level other than driving dynamics,
It looks 100% better than any Tesla, inside and out, better drivetrain, can go round corners, company doesn't have a history of misrepresenting battery capacity, actual customer service, better build quality.

The Tesla model 3 interior is based on the Trabant. (Model 3 pictured below)

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S impressions from new owner 1965_trabant_601_interior__by_motoryeti_d25xyn5-fullview

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 - blt Jun 3, dealer 22 Jun, del me 29..
Country flag
Great colour ....