JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have been trying to come up with a good way to clearly present different range tests between cars given the differences in temperatures between what the tests are done at. For instance comparing a test done when the temperature is 75F will not have ranges directly comparable to the same test done at 60F.

So here is another chart plus table, this time with my Taycan 4S range compared to other cars that have been tested. I have used the Range / Distance plot for my 4S and plotted the test results as obtained by Tom Moloughney and Kyle at InsideEVs as they have a defined test procedure and test at the same highway speeds I tested at. This required reviewing their videos to clean up some issues, especially with respect to the temperatures they were run at.

My test results, which were done over a range of temperatures are represented by the black line and their results, which were tests done at one temperature are represented by the letters. Details of those tests are in the table below. That table is sorted by efficiency.

Cars that plot above the black line have more range than my 4S for a given temperature and those below less range. For instance, the Taycan 2021 RWD (point F) plots above the line and has better range than my 4S at the same temperature. That surprised me a bit as I had thought the 4S was going to be the king of the Taycans for range.

The standout in range is the Tesla 2021 Model 3 Long Range (Point D). The other cars which are generally considered to be comparable to the Taycan in range, plot pretty close to the Taycan. There are a number of cars that plot to the lower right, generally because they have smaller batteries though they are often quit efficient.

One thing I would like to see, is the lads testing the same cars at very high and very low temperatures as this is where any issues are likely to lie.

Over the next month or so, we should begin to see the test results for the Lucid, EQS, RIvian. F150 and others. Really looking forward to seeing how they show on this.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Range vs Everybody Else Range Comparisons Imperial

Correction: Caption should read watts per mile

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Range vs Everybody Else Range Table Imperial

Last edited: