Taycan 4S vs 911 ?

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Intend to get a 4S with rare extras
Country flag
They are different cars and satisfy different needs so it really depends on where your head is at.

That said, since you asked, I sold a 2014 GT3 and bought a 2021 Taycan 4S. There were many reasons for my decision, but one of them was a desire to reduce my consumption of fossil fuels in the middle of a climate crisis. It feels pretty good to fill my Taycan's "tank" from my own solar array instead of subsidizing oil companies at the rate of $4.50/gal.

I miss the sounds of my departed GT3. Otherwise, no regrets.

What climate crisis? Please don't fall for that ridiculous nonsense. You think Johnson and Princess Nut Nut are telling us the truth? Have you seen how much effect the production of electric cars, and especially their batteries, have on your precious environment? Fossil fuels (sans rare earths) emit LESS CO2 when supply costs are factored in. The effect your choice will have on 'emissions' is so small it cannot be measured. Oh, and how come global warming takes a spike AFTER CO2 peaks? That's from 100,000year ice core data and completely trashes Climate Change arguments.

I am ordering a Taycan because gas taxes in the UK are out of control. It would be an ICE for me if we were lucky enough to have to pay US prices, even AFTER Biden's oil lunacy. In London. an imperial gallon (20% larger than yours) is £6.18 ($8.40.) That is the only reason I chose electric.
Sponsored

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag

What climate crisis? Please don't fall for that ridiculous nonsense. You think Johnson and Princess Nut Nut are telling us the truth? Have you seen how much effect the production of electric cars, and especially their batteries, have on your precious environment? Fossil fuels (sans rare earths) emit LESS CO2 when supply costs are factored in. The effect your choice will have on 'emissions' is so small it cannot be measured. Oh, and how come global warming takes a spike AFTER CO2 peaks? That's from 100,000year ice core data and completely trashes Climate Change arguments.

I am ordering a Taycan because gas taxes in the UK are out of control. It would be an ICE for me if we were lucky enough to have to pay US prices, even AFTER Biden's oil lunacy. In London. an imperial gallon (20% larger than yours) is £6.18 ($8.40.) That is the only reason I chose electric.
I hope you're feeling better now after getting that off your chest.

Take a pill and have a nice day.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Anyone who switched from 911 to Taycan ? or has both who can tell me what I’ll miss (if I never got the 911). I always thought I’d aim to get a 911 at this point in life. Then Mission E changed my thoughts. Currently, have a 4S on order.

Given that 10 years from now, ICE would be completely out in my area… would it have been better to go for a 911. What are everyone’s quick thoughts ?
I own both, a 2021 Taycan and 2020 992. When sitting in each car, they feel very similar, the Taycan just has more interior room.

The Taycan has a more refined infotainment system (2021 vs 2020) as the Apple Car Play uses up more of the central display than the 992 does.

My 992 is PDK and drives absolutely wonderful. We all know the Taycan has the two speed rear drive and you really do not feel the gear changes unless you really think about it.

The 992 is much easier to clean than the Taycan, the Taycan absolutely needs to be blown off each time as there are cracks/crevices everywhere for water to hide.

From a braking standpoint, they both feel nearly identical, even though the majority of the Taycan braking comes from the regen.

From a parking standpoint, there is no comparison, the 992 is hands down a better car to park. The Taycan is a very wide car, and where I live, it takes up the entire width of most parking spaces. We really have to think about where we park to avoid and damage.

The 992 will absolutely hold it's value better than the Taycan. The Taycan has an automatic depreciation of 50% after 3 years based on residual values set by Porsche in America. Additionally you can toss the whatever tax credit there is on top of that depreciation, as many EV buyers are only concerned about the "free" money which is just a sleight of hand.

Taycan paint quality was better than 992, although for me both cars needed a complete paint correction upon arrival. Taycan paint correction cost me $600, 992 cost me $1200. That was attributed to better paint on the Taycan by my detailer and the ease in which is polished. TO my own eye, the 992 looked better than Taycan at delivery, however the paint was very flawed.

Both of my cars are on the same tire, Pirelli P-zero. The tires feel much the same on both cars, but on the Taycan the electric spec version gets really greasy when pushed hard. Under normal driving both tires are sufficient.

I have leather in my 992 and no leather in the Taycan, both interiors feel the same to tough, the Taycan does smell better.

The climate control in both cars is really good, however the cooled seats are better in 992, however they are VERY noisy and that noise is right at your left ear, kind of annoying.

Both cars have a VERY low position for entry and exit. I have owned a Porsche all my life so I am used to it. Passengers have a bit of trouble getting in and out of the front seats of the Tacan. The door is rather short for how low the car is.

The side view mirrors are nearly identical to see out of, the Taycan is so wide it is a must to fold them in when parking. Because the car has wide rear hips, I have found people walk right into the side view mirrors (myself included).

Fruit (front boot) or trunk (front trunk) in 992 is wider and deeper and more practical. The Taycan has a rear hatch but I am so unfamiliar with loading anything into the back of a car, it is almost an afterthought.

All in all, I love both cars, here is the final kicker, they had nearly identical MSRP (within $1000 of each), however because the 992 is a more established model, the lease on the Taycan is $300 more a month and that is fully attributed to the residual.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs  911 ? NwINbnH

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S vs  911 ? ejomNTc

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I read "cannot tell that Taycan is shifting unless you really think about it" and "braking feels nearly identical" - I cannot disagree more. The Taycan brakes clearly behave differently from the 911, you can even tell whether it's the first few brakes without regen in the morning vs. the rest of the day. But clearly there's quite a few of folks on this forum that would say the same as this post.

So that gets us back to: you REALLY need to test drive both. Figure out whether you are part of the population that is sensitive to the brake feel and the transmission details or not.
Sponsored