Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Land Rover Defender 110, BMW 530e
Country flag
SO... I'm lucky! My office is a mile or so from a 350kW charger. I have used it twice so far, and it is actually awesome. The first time, I was confused that after I came back to get my car, it was charging at 101kW. I didn't realize that when you pass the 80% mark, it slows down quite a bit. Got to 95% in 32 mins (and they charged me for the extra 2- LOL). Next time I got from 18% to 60 in 10 mins! I really wish they would put in more EA stations! Nice to be able to fill up somewhere else too!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Swede-ish

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I'm replying to my own post! Oh well.
I'm just curious if someone has noticed that even though you connect to a 350kW charger, you only get 150kW?
I went to the Burbank station again today, and even though I started at 45%, I had to charge for 30 mins to get to 95%. Should be much faster!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
that’s about right for Temperature and SOC of the battery above 40%

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...my-taycan-charge-as-fast-as-i-want-it-to.779/

to get 270 kW you need at least 3 things to be true:
  1. EA charger functional for that level of charge
  2. Battery SOC below 30%
  3. Mild temperatures (both ambient air temperature and battery temperature)
150 kW continuous from 30% to almost 90% is actually very very fast and most Tesla owners would be jealous - they only get the highest rate of charge between 5-40% - and are below 100 kW as they cross the 50% threshold - they are subject the same temperature and SOC guidelines as the Taycan - cause it’s all chemistry/physics and both cars use LiON batteries.

OP
OP
Swede-ish

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Today, another surprise! I went to the "supercharger" and the 350kW charger was occupied by a Chevy Bolt, so I went to the 150kW charger.
When I plugged in and it started going it showed 174kW... :oops::oops:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Today, another surprise! I went to the "supercharger" and the 350kW charger was occupied by a Chevy Bolt, so I went to the 150kW charger.
When I plugged in and it started going it showed 174kW... :oops::oops:
It would not surprise me really, if you look at the tags for those stations that are marked as 150 KW you will see that they are actually 350 KW stations, I assume that they generally do some internal settings to limit it but it would probably only be necessary if the whole charging station was near capacity. That would be great news as often people with lesser EVs (like my Bolt) may mistakenly park at the 350 unit not thinking a car in the universe exists that can use over 150kw.

Well, certainly not many cars in the universe use >150KW CCS. :cool:

OP
OP
Swede-ish

Swede-ish

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would not surprise me really, if you look at the tags for those stations that are marked as 150 KW you will see that they are actually 350 KW stations, I assume that they generally do some internal settings to limit it but it would probably only be necessary if the whole charging station was near capacity. That would be great news as often people with lesser EVs (like my Bolt) may mistakenly park at the 350 unit not thinking a car in the universe exists that can use over 150kw.

Well, certainly not many cars in the universe use >150KW CCS. :cool:
That is very interesting - now I will have to start looking closer at these stations! ;)
Sponsored