Taycan GTS brakes caliper size

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
.Looking at the specs for the GTS, front brakes are 360mm, whereas rears are 358mm.

I’m confused why Porsche didn’t simply fit the same brakes front and rear - why have such a minute difference in size, meaning a separate part etc?

The Turbo & Turbo S have 410mm (front) and 365mm (rear),

it would seem much more logical for most models to have 365mm all round and then the larger 410mm front discs for Turbo and Turbo S models.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Well, the Turbo S has the ceramic brakes, and the Turbo surface coated ceramic brakes, which explains the differences there. If I had to take a wild guess on why the GTS introduced the 390mm front brakes (vs the 360mm on the 4S and below) either they had decided that since the front rims were 20" instead of 19" on the 4S they might as well use the slightly larger brakes, but I'd probably lean towards them just feeling that the additional power of the GTS needed slightly better braking to hit their performance targets.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It is probably just something they changed, the 390mm brakes on front, to add a differentiator to the GTS model. If you order the Mission-E wheels on a 4S, as I did, you get the PSCB with 410mm (6 piston) front and 365mm (4 piston) rear. Same if you add the Mission-Es to a GTS.

Really, with most of the braking coming from regen it is mostly about how they look with the larger wheels, caliper color, and some minor reduction of brake dust. There is a really long thread about this topic.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
.Looking at the specs for the GTS, front brakes are 360mm, whereas rears are 358mm.

I’m confused why Porsche didn’t simply fit the same brakes front and rear - why have such a minute difference in size, meaning a separate part etc?

The Turbo & Turbo S have 410mm (front) and 365mm (rear),

it would seem much more logical for most models to have 365mm all round and then the larger 410mm front discs for Turbo and Turbo S models.

Any ideas?
Even if everything else were the same about the brakes, that 2mm difference in circumference means a ~1% reduction in sprung rotational mass. On sportscars, these things matter. Whether you or I would be able to tell is debatable, but you could possibly take that view about many things.

However, I suspect the circumference may not be the only difference...I expect the ventilation on them is probably different, and the calipers will be different too. Could you copy the whole lot front and rear? You could, but you want more braking up front on a car....so if you put the same hardware front and rear, you'd then have to find other ways of adjusting that balance, effectively wasting capability.

So whilst they're notionally only 2mm different in circumference, there are probably a lot more detail changes between front and rear that make it more justifiable.

I think f1eng has posted on brakes on here before. The actual braking hardware on a Taycan isn't the limiting factor - as with most cars, it's the tyres. The options on the Taycan largely boil down to aesthetics, a desire to keep brake dust down and, possibly, longevity. Even the smallest brakes should be adequate.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Even if everything else were the same about the brakes, that 2mm difference in circumference means a ~1% reduction in sprung rotational mass. On sportscars, these things matter. Whether you or I would be able to tell is debatable, but you could possibly take that view about many things.
On Sports cars, these things matter, but at 2300kg, its hard to think of the Taycan as a Sports car, despite the performance!

However, I suspect the circumference may not be the only difference...I expect the ventilation on them is probably different, and the calipers will be different too. Could you copy the whole lot front and rear? You could, but you want more braking up front on a car....so if you put the same hardware front and rear, you'd then have to find other ways of adjusting that balance, effectively wasting capability.

So whilst they're notionally only 2mm different in circumference, there are probably a lot more detail changes between front and rear that make it more justifiable.

I think f1eng has posted on brakes on here before. The actual braking hardware on a Taycan isn't the limiting factor - as with most cars, it's the tyres. The options on the Taycan largely boil down to aesthetics, a desire to keep brake dust down and, possibly, longevity. Even the smallest brakes should be adequate.
I’d be interested in F1eng’s take on this, or anyone else that knows the technical differences between the 360mm and 358mm discs. I‘m afraid I don’t buy the brake bias argument.

However, someone else has reminded me that (despite what it says on the Porsche website - technical specifications), at the launch of the GTS it was suggested that it had larger front discs (at 390mm) than those of the 4S.

Hopefully just another configurator glitch and 390mm is still the intention!

Last edited:

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Rotational mass matters on all cars. It's very different to the rest of the mass on a car in terms of its impact on the way a car drives and feels.

I cannot imagine Porsche would fit something different just for the sake of it - they have been run by bean counters for some time. Producing a different disc just for the lolz wouldn't be in their repertoire. And if they could get away with production costs by standardising, there is nothing to say they'd have to pass that on to the customer - more likely they could get double bubble...standardise the part, save themselves some cash and charge the customer more whilst telling them they've economised :D
Sponsored