F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
A dealer told me the first service is after 2 years. [strike] Rotate tires [/strike], not much more.

edit. as LFCDan points out, the tires are different sizes, so editing my dumb post ;)
If anyone here on this forum has owned a Porsche (or any other car) in that last and believes that "rotating the tires" is the only service required, they are truly mistaken.

First off, you do not even rotate the tires on a Taycan, as the fronts and rears are of different size. (probably just an analogy used, but a poor one albeit).

Even though there is only a bi-annual service recommended, here are the items I think should be inspected and/or replaced at 12 months.

• Cabin Filter, replace every 12 months as they have activated charcoal that degrades over time.
  • All door, hood and trunk seals. Inspect and clean/protect with gummi pflege.
  • All door, hood and trunk hinges, inspect, clean and lubricate.
  • Washer blades, inspect, clean and replace if necessary.
  • All four tires, inspect and replace if necessary.
  • All four brake rotors and pads, inspect and replace if necessary.
  • Vehicle glass, inspect and repair/replace if necessary.
  • All suspension bushings and hardware, inspect and replace if necessary.
  • All suspension bushings, lubricate if necessary.
  • Vehicle electronics, inspect for any transient codes, investigate if there are codes, perform any updates required, reset factory service interval.
  • Vehicle coolant (yes there is coolant for the batteries) inspect and refill/replace if necessary.
  • Vehicle paint, inspect for any flaws and or imperfections, polish and or correct if necessary. If there is any paint protection coating, inspect and perform recommended service on coating.
Bi-annual services should always include a brake fluid flush, plus everything listed in the annual inspection.

The list could go on an on, hopefully everyone understands the rationale. The Taycan (or any other car) is not a "set it and forget it" ordeal. You must perform periodic maintenance checks and service to protect the car and ensure it's safety.

Whether or not anyone sees the value to this in terms of the $770 to $1110 they dealer may charge for the 24 month service, that is up to them.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If anyone here on this forum has owned a Porsche (or any other car) in that last and believes that "rotating the tires" is the only service required, they are truly mistaken.
  • Washer blades, inspect, clean and replace if necessary.
  • All four tires, inspect and replace if necessary.
  • Vehicle glass, inspect and repair/replace if necessary.
Anyone who has ever owned a car knows that you don't wait for a 24 month service to replace tires that need replacing, or repairing a broken window or replace wiper blades that aren't doing the job.

The point of the discussion is to understand what the comparables are to an ICE in terms of maintenance - e.g. oil changes, tune ups, spark plug replacement, etc. not minor stuff like "inspect washer blades" or "reset the annoying service interval warning".

Since I struck the part about rotating the tires and even said I did, I have no idea why you would even bring that up to start your post.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Anyone who has ever owned a car knows that you don't wait for a 24 month service to replace tires that need replacing, or repairing a broken window or replace wiper blades that aren't doing the job.

The point of the discussion is to understand what the comparables are to an ICE in terms of maintenance - e.g. oil changes, tune ups, spark plug replacement, etc. not minor stuff like "inspect washer blades" or "reset the annoying service interval warning".

Since I struck the part about rotating the tires and even said I did, I have no idea why you would even bring that up to start your post.
Because I quoted you, those are your words so do not bitch to me about it, not one letter has bene changed.

There are many vehicle driver/owners that have tires that are in dire need to repair/replacement and do not even know it, just as there are those who may have not even used a wiper in over a year, however when they do need it, it does not work, and a broken window can be repaired and/or replaced at the dealer at the time of service to avoid any hiccups when it comes to safety inspections.

Oil changes, tune ups and spark plugs are also minor items on any modern ICE built after the year 2005. Spark plugs go over 35K miles, oil change intervals are 10K miles and there is no such thing as a "tune up" any more because vehicles are controlled by electronics.

Here is what is involved for a 20K Panamera Service from https://repairpal.com/estimator/porsche/panamera/maintenance-schedule that I grabbed from a quick online search. Does it look familiar?

Related Services & Repairs
Tire Replacement
Brake Pad Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Change
Cabin Filter Replacement

The 20,000 mile service is a minor service.

This service generally involves an oil and filter change, tire rotation, and a safety inspection. While changing the oil, the mechanic will be performing visual inspections of the brakes, belts and hoses, inspecting for any fluid leaks, listening for any abnormal noises, and paying attention to any irregularities in the operation of the vehicle.

If you have your service at the dealership, have them check and perform any recalls on the vehicle.

Possible Repairs Needed at the 20,000 Mile Service
It's not uncommon for your vehicle to need a brake pad replacement at this mileage, and on some vehicles the tires may need replacement.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Because I quoted you, those are your words so do not bitch to me about it, not one letter has bene changed.
But you followed that up with the snarky statement of "If anyone here on this forum has owned a Porsche (or any other car) in that last and believes that "rotating the tires" is the only service required, they are truly mistaken." When I specifically said that was not the case.

Here is what is involved for a 20K Panamera Service from https://repairpal.com/estimator/porsche/panamera/maintenance-schedule that I grabbed from a quick online search. Does it look familiar? .... "It's not uncommon for your vehicle to need a brake pad replacement at this mileage, and on some vehicles the tires may need replacement."
No, it is not familiar because Porsche does NOT expect that there it is likely to replace the brake pads at 20k miles for the Taycan. That was the whole point of this discussion, that there are fundamental differences in the maintenance for an ICE and an EV that uses regenerative braking for the majority of the braking.

What is familiar is that Porsche dealers actually are claiming. https://www.porschefremont.com/porsche-taycan-service-intervals/

• 10,000 miles – Tire rotation and check
  • 20,000 miles – brake fluid replacement, pollen, and air filter replacement, wiper blades, and windshield wiper fluid checked
  • 30,000 miles – Porsche Taycan 30,000 mile service includes tire rotation and checks

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Sure, there are many people who may prefer to just take their car to the dealer periodically and have them handle it all. For a marque like Porsche, those folks may consider $770 to be a reasonable price. But for folks that are comfortable doing some level of maintenance, it’s useful to know “what’s in it”. We’re not talking wear-items like timing belts that you’d find on an ICE car. The battery and motors make up the powertrain. Not sure about what goes into the two-speed rear axle but that could be a sealed unit. Sure, there are contactors, circulation pumps, etc. that could “fail” in use but that aren’t “expended” in use.

Reactions: Reg

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just bought my Taycan and got this.
1) Taycan 4S/CT = $770 (2 yr, 20k miles), $1,830 (4 yr, 40k miles), $4,675 (6 yr, 60k miles)
1) Taycan Turbo/Turbo S/CT = $770 (2 yr, 20k miles), $1,830 (4 yr, 40k miles), $5,730 (6 yr, 60k miles)

I was told there are absolutely no discounts off MSRP.

I was considering the 6 year/60k at $5,730 as I'm told the 6 year is very involved (I plan on keeping this car for 10 years at minimum - I purchased a 10 year warranty). After reading this thread, it sounds like all three options are possibly not worth it.

So, I'll throw the $5,730 into T or VZ and see what happens in 6 years. Can anyone convince me otherwise to purchase the pre-paid Porsche scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement?

On my Mercedes, I was always able to get off MSRP and it was worth it to buy the pre-paid as you got a 30% discount, locked in the price and also saved on taxes (no tax on pre-paid, but you pay tax on regular service).

Porsche pre-paid doesn't seem like a deal and more of a roll the dice.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Maintenance Schedule IMG_9315

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just bought my Taycan and got this.
1) Taycan 4S/CT = $770 (2 yr, 20k miles), $1,830 (4 yr, 40k miles), $4,675 (6 yr, 60k miles)
1) Taycan Turbo/Turbo S/CT = $770 (2 yr, 20k miles), $1,830 (4 yr, 40k miles), $5,730 (6 yr, 60k miles)

I was told there are absolutely no discounts off MSRP.

I was considering the 6 year/60k at $5,730 as I'm told the 6 year is very involved (I plan on keeping this car for 10 years at minimum - I purchased a 10 year warranty). After reading this thread, it sounds like all three options are possibly not worth it.

So, I'll throw the $5,730 into T or VZ and see what happens in 6 years. Can anyone convince me otherwise to purchase the pre-paid Porsche scheduled Maintenance Plan Agreement?

On my Mercedes, I was always able to get off MSRP and it was worth it to buy the pre-paid as you got a 30% discount, locked in the price and also saved on taxes (no tax on pre-paid, but you pay tax on regular service).

Porsche pre-paid doesn't seem like a deal and more of a roll the dice.
IMG_9315.jpg
Would have been interesting to see the specification for the work included.

I guess the 6 year service includes brake pads renewal perhaps? Inspection and service of brakes is a six year interval and can be costly.

Reactions: B61

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Have you read the maintenance booklet? 6-year inspection is a more major check and seems expensive for the $ you were quoted.

Chedman13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GL63 Brabus B63 Widestar, Awaiting Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Have you read the maintenance booklet? 6-year inspection is a more major check and seems expensive for the $ you were quoted.
I have not yet - I talked to a tech and said a lot is involved. I need to find out more info and I will look at the booklet.

So to be clear, are you saying the pre-paid is a good deal or a bad deal?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have not yet - I talked to a tech and said a lot is involved. I need to find out more info and I will look at the booklet.

So to be clear, are you saying the pre-paid is a good deal or a bad deal?
I think it's NOT a good deal.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1.

Tellingly, they used to always tell you exactly what service was due each year. "Spark plugs on year 3 will run you at least xK!". Now they don't seem to ever volunteer it.

In my case, they pushed hard on the maintenance, and I kept asking: what is included? They kept being vague. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

I'm willing to bet real money that this is a complete rip-off. It's likely just air filter for the cabin and a "x point inspection" of dubious value. They know this is going away with EVs, but are happy to take a couple thousand dollars from poor suckers that are still used to paying that from ICE days.

There are more fun ways to waste money.

Last edited:

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
....but are happy to take a couple thousand dollars from poor suckers that are still used to paying that from ICE days.
Key in determining the price points here is the fact that the suckers are not that poor, on average...
Sponsored