Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Taycan is in for the software update campaign and some other recalls.

Porsche gave me a 2020 Macan to drive. The PCM in the Macan felt like a HUGE upgrade over the Taycan. Its smooth, fast, has proximity sensors for your hand AND wireless carplay.

Wireless carplay was super smooth and just worked. And very convenient. Why is this in a 2020 entry level Macan and not in the car "voted best by scientists?"

I am very frustrated with the PCM in the Taycan. It's suppose to be technically advanced, yet the user experience truly sucks. There are $30 000 cars out there with a better user experience.

It pretty pathetic that a $170 000 car has such a half baked software system.

Anyway, this has been said by others but I am surprised the reviews/car blogs don't highlight this.
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Porsche gave me a 2020 Macan to drive. The PCM in the Macan felt like a HUGE upgrade over the Taycan. Its smooth, fast, has proximity sensors for your hand AND wireless carplay.

Wireless carplay was super smooth and just worked. And very convenient. Why is this in a 2020 entry level Macan and not in the car "voted best by scientists?"

I am very frustrated with the PCM in the Taycan. It's suppose to be technically advanced, yet the user experience truly sucks. There are $30 000 cars out there with a better user experience.

Anyway, this has been said by others but I am surprised the reviews/car blogs don't highlight this.
Ok, so wireless carplay doesn't work.
What else is a problem?
It seems people are complaining about the PCM but it actually works fine.
I have no problems with it other than that it won't store some settings like the checkbox for "automatic activate parking assist" and "allow adjusting route when low battery" in the range mode setting.
Nothing that justify a rant imho.
Other things work flawlessly, just like the car journalists highlight.
So I'm curious where you rant is coming from.

OP
OP
Mwa3aan

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What else is a problem?
I have no problems with it other than that it won't store some settings like the checkbox for "automatic activate parking assist" and "allow adjusting route when low battery" in the range mode setting.
Look you are correct that if you touch a function it works. But that's not a measurement of success.

I was frustrated and expressed it in the original post.

If you look at what user experiences are capable of today then I cannot help feel the quality of the software in the Taycan is lacking.

My frustration is that they could have done so much more. And didn't.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
So you are frustrated.
About what exactly?
Tell me.
This car doesn't have buttons which I think is super futuristic.
It does what it should do.
No, there's no sentry mode or fart cushions or other fancy gimmicks.
No, there's no wireless carplay.
But it's a car, a fantastic car.
I think people focus on the wrong things these days cuz it should be about driving and that, my friend, is a truly fantastic experience.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
well I agree with him, it is probably not the best, but I by a car to get from A-B as fast and as safely as possible.

and a phone or ipad for tech. so overall it does not bother me that PCM is good or bad. PCM is low down on my requirements for a user experience. however if one finds this a required attribute then i fully understand for 150-200k it might disappoint

OP
OP
Mwa3aan

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you are frustrated.
About what exactly?
Tell me.
This car doesn't have buttons which I think is super futuristic.
It does what it should do.
No, there's no sentry mode or fart cushions or other fancy gimmicks.
No, there's no wireless carplay.
But it's a car, a fantastic car.
I think people focus on the wrong things these days cuz it should be about driving and that, my friend, is a truly fantastic experience.
Dee, I am not arguing with you. I love how the car drives.

We also buy cars for different reasons and these days some people (not everyone) wants technology inside the car to be as much part of the experience as the driving experience. I understand that that isn't important for you but it is for me. I don't think that makes either of us wrong. I don't understand you reference to a fart cussion. that option wasn't available as a Porsche configuration option in the USA

I am not trying to convince you to feel differently about your car. I am trying to say that for me the user experience inside the car falls short.

Again, the car is incredible to drive. I love it and will buy it again. But the tech experience falls short.

I hope that makes sense.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag

We also buy cars for different reasons and these days some people (not everyone) wants technology inside the car to be as much part of the experience as the driving experience. I understand that that isn't important for you but it is for me. I don't think that makes either of us wrong. I don't understand you reference to a fart cussion. that option wasn't available as a Porsche configuration option in the USA

I am not trying to convince you to feel differently about your car. I am trying to say that for me the user experience inside the car falls short.

Again, the car is incredible to drive. I love it and will buy it again. But the tech experience falls short.

I hope that makes sense.
1. The menu structure sucks. It took many iterations to get the PCM on other Porsches to where it is now. This is V1 for a totally different software. It's going to take them a little while. They need to hire some American UI designers to clean it up.
2. I frequently use the buttons on PCM on my Macan. For example, I know that it's four taps on the Source button to go from SAT to iPod. Don't have to look away from the road. No physical buttons looks cool but it's less safe.
3. The fact that the icons don't fit correctly on the main screen is an embarrassment. It's the software equivalent of a trunk that doesn't close right. Shows a very un-Porschelike level of sloppiness.

All that being said, the relevance of those issues to my purchase decision is close to zero. I prefer plugging in my phone with/carplay for higher quality audio and using the Google maps & my phone is also charging. Some (probably many!) will disagree.

Tech was a VERY hot issue early on in the Macan Forum. PCM was a mess at the beginning. Just in the past few months Porsche just bricked a bunch of older PCMs with a firmware update. Killed my 2014 Panamera's PCM. Reboot loop. Toast. Fortunately PCNA stepped up to help out & the dealer covered the rest of it. I was HOT about $3k for something THEY broke & they didn't want me to cancel my Taycan order.

If user tech/toys is super important to you, BMW or Audi might be a better fit. Porsche assumes, rightly or wrongly, that the driving tech (PASM, steering calibration, suspension tuning, brakes, engines/motors) is what matters most and that's where they spend their money. There are signs that is changing & the Taycan is a big indicator of that, but they're still behind other luxury brands (except Lexus, which is way worse IMHO).

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

I hope that makes sense.
I can understand that you are frustrated about the wireless carplay.
Still, you haven't answered my question.
Let me rephrase my question: what exactly is frustrating you, other than the wireless carplay?
What exactly would you like to be better?
If you can't tell me, or Porsche, how can it be improved?
If it's something common we can inform Porsche cuz if there's one brand that is listening to it's customers it's Porsche.
Maybe I missed something in the PCM that isn't working well or even missing.
I'm also here to learn about the car from other members, that's why I asked about your specific "problems". :)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
1. The menu structure sucks. It took many iterations to get the PCM on other Porsches to where it is now. This is V1 for a totally different software. It's going to take them a little while. They need to hire some American UI designers to clean it up.
2. I frequently use the buttons on PCM on my Macan. For example, I know that it's four taps on the Source button to go from SAT to iPod. Don't have to look away from the road. No physical buttons looks cool but it's less safe.
3. The fact that the icons don't fit correctly on the main screen is an embarrassment. It's the software equivalent of a trunk that doesn't close right. Shows a very un-Porschelike level of sloppiness.

All that being said, the relevance of those issues to my purchase decision is close to zero. I prefer plugging in my phone with/carplay for higher quality audio and using the Google maps & my phone is also charging. Some (probably many!) will disagree.

Tech was a VERY hot issue early on in the Macan Forum. PCM was a mess at the beginning. Just in the past few months Porsche just bricked a bunch of older PCMs with a firmware update. Killed my 2014 Panamera's PCM. Reboot loop. Toast. Fortunately PCNA stepped up to help out & the dealer covered the rest of it. I was HOT about $3k for something THEY broke & they didn't want me to cancel my Taycan order.

If user tech/toys is super important to you, BMW or Audi might be a better fit. Porsche assumes, rightly or wrongly, that the driving tech (PASM, steering calibration, suspension tuning, brakes, engines/motors) is what matters most and that's where they spend their money. There are signs that is changing & the Taycan is a big indicator of that, but they're still behind other luxury brands (except Lexus, which is way worse IMHO).
I totally understand what you're saying and agree on most of it.
But...
I come from BMW i3/i8 which is very user-friendly in menus...
Ha! I'm just kidding.
Also some features are way hidden in the menu, very annoying but...... it's there and works.
Actually, it works very good but that's after 6 years of production.
So, the Taycan is different.
That was annoying in the first place but....after a while I got used to it and now I navigate through the menus no problem whatsoever.
It takes time.
Also, some small "problems" take time.
If we collect these "common problems", Porsche is better able to address them.
A rant is fine and perfectly understandable but please be constructive.

OP
OP
Mwa3aan

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Let me rephrase my question: what exactly is frustrating you, other than the wireless carplay?
If it's something common we can inform Porsche cuz if there's one brand that is listening to it's customers it's Porsche.
I'm also here to learn about the car from other members, that's why I asked about your specific "problems". :)
Your question is very valid. List what is wrong.

It's 12:43 am here and I am heading to bed.

I will give it some thought and see if I can capture it effectively.

I will reply after work tomorrow.

Reactions: Dee
OP
OP
Mwa3aan

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great point. This is my 5th Porsche and I owned BMW, Audi and Mercedes.

It's a tough call between this car and my 911 Turbo S which one I prefer as a daily driver.

I enjoy the car enough that I won't switch away from the brand.

But man I wish the user experience was a little better.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
What else is a problem?
@Dee I can understand the OP frustration because I feel the same. The PCM is such an integral part of the EV now for planning trips and charging stops etc.

Wireless CarPlay we all know is not there.

But the navigator being so out of date on roads is there no excuse for. It has taken me down four different routes which ended in a dead stop. One route it took was a walk way and a big barrier across. The other route was down a very tight gravel road! You can guess the smiles on the locals when you came down that road with a new shiny car and a few minutes later you came reversing back because there was no space to turn.

The calendar Synchronisation function does not work and is not updated. If you plan to go somewhere and list all of the visits with addresses in the calendar, it would be nice to just click on it and navigate to the address.

But worst of all is that the damn navigator does not see the Ionity charging stations on you planned trip. It does not even find them when you are parked at the Ionity station! And the station was opened 8 months ago so nothing new! The.fantastic charging planner in the car sends you to a 50 kW charger instead. And not once but twice Over a planned trip of about 550 km. There were two Ionity stations along the trip.

I guess tha5 is my use case to have the car for nice long drives, but if you only use your car as a daily commuter, going on highways etc, that is different.

There are also issues with the PCM connectivity staying alive. I can easily stream Apple Music with my phone without interruptions along a major motorway here. But the car looses connection and freezes the volume and will not play again.

Compared to other cars entertainment system I think it is piss poor performance!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
@Mwa3aan, I do hope you know you can switch on proximity sensors in the submenu of the different displays?
I don't know if those sensors work properly for you but at least you can switch them on (if they're not on already...).

You can also adjust the responsiveness of the touchpad and/or focus.
After a while I figured out a setting that works exactly like I wanted.
Still, I like to press the upper middle screen.
Too bad you can't switch off that haptic feedback of the lower central display, feels too much forced to be like an iPad, still ok though.

Last edited:

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
I have to agree that the PCM sucks.
1. Many items are buried deep - not safe in a car going 100 mph on average
2. HomeLink - does not work like it should, again buried.
3. Airplay/Itunes - enough said!
4. Chargers - not seen as well as Tesla/have to hunt for them
5. No way to access favorite radio stations easily from steering wheel (a know Porsche problem for decades)
6. Random reboots (not as often now after upgrade/recall done).
7. Optics (or software) on back up camera is so ... retro! Like a 1990s bad camera. In a 200k+ car!
8. Overly complicated charging settings - minimum means maximum, except when it means minimum

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I have to agree that the PCM sucks.
1. Many items are buried deep - not safe in a car going 100 mph on average
2. HomeLink - does not work like it should, again buried.
3. Airplay/Itunes - enough said!
4. Chargers - not seen as well as Tesla/have to hunt for them
5. No way to access favorite radio stations easily from steering wheel (a know Porsche problem for decades)
6. Random reboots (not as often now after upgrade/recall done).
7. Optics (or software) on back up camera is so ... retro! Like a 1990s bad camera. In a 200k+ car!
8. Overly complicated charging settings - minimum means maximum, except when it means minimum
i don't have homelink but I've had all the other issues!!!
the PCM really isn't intuitive and anyone that disagrees is in denial, ive said other posts its almost like a Beta version and we weren't told this when ordering the car, im not sure why in an EV they need to reinvent the infotainment AUDI have done it with the Etron and that's shit too

it doesn't just need tweaking it needs an overhaul, my concern is that the later versions ie MY21 could have better hardware too and that would be a massive kick in the teeth for anyone who has the MY20

mine goes in on thursday for the updates as per my recall letter but after reading the results others have had after theirs have been in I'm anticipating it will be as shit
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.