RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan 4s with the big battery earlier today for a couple of hours across fast, slow and twisty roads in the UK.

Apart from its striking looks in Dolomite silver paint, I was really impressed by its performance and handling (very close to my 992 4s in many ways).

The question for me now is do I go all out for a Turbo S or opt for a very capable 4s

For those who have now driven the Taycan, which model did you drive, what did you think of it and why?
Sponsored

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan 4s with the big battery earlier today for a couple of hours across fast, slow and twisty roads in the UK.

Apart from its striking looks in Dolomite silver paint, I was really impressed by its performance and handling (very close to my 992 4s in many ways).

The question for me now is do I go all out for a Turbo S or opt for a very capable 4s

For those who have now driven the Taycan, which model did you drive, what did you think of it and why?
Not driven any and not sure when my 4s will arrive but it’s really reassuring that it’s similar to your 992,; if I feel this way too I’m going to very very very pleased!

Triyanya

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo - X3M Comp - URBAN Defender 90
Country flag
fWIW - I would go for the middle ground (I did) - a well spec’d “turbo” with all the performance / chassis / driving add ons etc saves @15k+ on similar spec “S“. You get the same “normal” power as the S with a higher residual than the 4S (for finance - general consensus is that the Turbo has the best residuals of the 3 choices) and even once you’ve spec”d up a 4S it’s still a 4S? -

On finance & power metrics the Turbo appears to be the sweet spot. If I understood one of the recent video reviews correctly the Turbo’s higher rated electric motors help to make it a different driving experience /

I was fortunate enough to go ice driving in Finland just before the lockdown and spent time with the instructors (and drifting Taycan’s ) - the turbo was their choice.

Regardless - any of the cars is going to be a great choice and totally different to anything else out there - just wish I didn’t have to still wait another 7/8 weeks

The worst part now is reading about all the deliveries starting to happen and questioning your build -more than once recently I’ve wondered “why didn’t I spec that—-“ or the converse.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
fWIW - I would go for the middle ground (I did) - a well spec’d “turbo” with all the performance / chassis / driving add ons

The worst part now is reading about all the deliveries starting to happen and questioning your build -more than once recently I’ve wondered “why didn’t I spec that—-“ or the converse.
No kidding on the second part, I've been annoying myself questioning the build specs for a month now.

I would go with a 4S or Turbo. I think the Turbo S is the car you get if you KNOW that's the one you want. If you're weighing pros/cons/price I think the 4S & Turbo make strong arguments, the Turbo S is the "I want the fastest, craziest version, period" car. *edited because my first post of this was poorly worded*

One thing to keep in mind, the biggest performance difference between a 4S and Turbo is 0-60 and then 100+. When already moving or in normal driving, the power feels very very similar. In terms of dynamics, there are no/very minor+ differences between the two if you spec out the 4S, except the 4S is lighter.

You're paying a LOT of money to go up to a Turbo for basically 0-60 and 100+ pulls and giving up some range to do it. Just keep that in mind.

Last edited:

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

It all depends on how much you spec the car, if you are a ltd company buying it and if you re going pcp. I started with a 4S, added spec, then went to a Turbo added stuff and now found a Turbo S i can get within the next 2-6 weeks. The PCP means the more you spec a 4S, you are better with a Turbo etc due to residuals.

If you Spec a 4S to around £100- £105k and use pcp thats fine, any more and you might as well go for a Turbo as it comes with a number of the options you'd spec and residual much better....

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Depends what you want the car for. As the one "do it all car" Turbo S all day. As a daily driver the 4S you drove is more than enough. I went for a 4S as I don't want to spend £150k+ on a car when I could be driving a Mclaren 720s or F12 for that money!

Like GDhazy said - spec to £100-105k and the 4S is more than an ideal daily driver :)

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've only driven the Turbo. The dealer had the 4S and Turbo available for test drive but the Turbo S was inside the showroom. I like the turbo for multiple reasons:
  1. The price is not well outside my budget. Turbo S is more than I want to spend, personally.
  2. The Turbo has enough performance that I don't think I'll be disappointed coming from my tesla P100D. The 4S 0-60 time is pretty good but I want a bit more performance than that.
  3. I like the body style on the Turbo best out of the lot. The 4S has black trim, and the Turbo S has carbon fiber trim, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hi there,

I have the 4S and am happy. But my children could stand and enjoy even more acceleration than the 4S can do in launch mode :)!

Cheers,
Henrik

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm going with the Turbo, because after putting all the things back on the 4S, it wasn't that much more to just start with the Turbo.

Though with allocations taking forever here, I'd really love a GTS, as I imagine that will be the winner for something nicely optioned, but cheaper than a Turbo.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

When I watched the Taycan came along in development and various presentation, I was always under the impression that it is a bit more like a regular 4 door family kind of car, much more like my current EV and NOT like their 911, etc sports car lineup.

I ordered a 4S+ in December. In February I went to Hockenheim on the track and drove the Taycan Turbo S. When I left after an hour I got this strange angry feeling of being cheated. As intoxicating race car driving might be, it is not what I wanted to buy!

I now expect my upcoming Taycan 4S+ will slightly exceed my current EV, but will not be on steroids all the time.

I think the Turbo and Turbo S only make sense if you actually go racing or have a German Autobahn. For all other countries and lifestyles, I think it is too much!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The Turbo S is more of the "I get to tell my cool rich friends that I have the Turbo S" car, IMHO.
Remember there are a few members here who have a Turbo S.
Like me....
My moto: "There's no such thing as "enough" horsepower".
It has absolutely nothing to do with people around me, are you kidding me? :)
Besides, if you can afford a brand new Porsche, you're rich.
Any Porsche.
You probably belong to the 3% of the richest people on earth (income > 70K).
Enjoy! :cool:

Last edited:

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Remember there are a few members here who have a Turbo S.
Like me....
My moto: "There's no such thing as "enough" horsepower".
It has absolutely nothing to do with people around me, are you kidding me? :)
Besides, if you can afford a brand new Porsche, you're rich.
Any Porsche.
You probably belong to the 3% of the richest people on earth (income > 70K).
Enjoy! :cool:
That's my line of thinking. If I was being budget-conscious, a well optioned 4S is enough. If I was being even mildly thrifty, the Turbo gets you 95% of the way there. I want 100% though.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag

How did you manage a test drive! In the midlands it appears we are unable to drive the cars

OP
OP
RE66ELl

RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
How did you manage a test drive! In the midlands it appears we are unable to drive the cars
Porsche dealer down south has 2 Taycans on the road and available for test drives