Tesla Universal Wall Charger

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thought some of you might appreciate my experience with the new Tesla charger.

I just installed the new Tesla Universal Wall Charger to replace the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (which has been a total loser).

The Tesla charger works perfectly with the Taycan. I have a long wiring run on a 50 AMP breaker and am getting 11.2kw reported by the charger and 10.2kw reported into the Taycan.

This compares to a max of 8.6kw with the Porsche charger which would always overheat and stop charging after a few minutes.

I am also now set for the future to charge any BEV or hybrid with the universal plug.
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Thought some of you might appreciate my experience with the new Tesla charger.

I just installed the new Tesla Universal Wall Charger to replace the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (which has been a total loser).

The Tesla charger works perfectly with the Taycan. I have a long wiring run on a 50 AMP breaker and am getting 11.2kw reported by the charger and 10.2kw reported into the Taycan.

This compares to a max of 8.6kw with the Porsche charger which would always overheat and stop charging after a few minutes.

I am also now set for the future to charge any BEV or hybrid with the universal plug.
11.2kW on a 240v circuit indicates you are running at 47A on a 50A circuit. I don't believe that would be considered a Best Practice. Are you certain that the Tesla Wall Connector is configured for a 50A circuit? It sounds like it is configured for a 60A circuit.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
11.2kW on a 240v circuit indicates you are running at 47A on a 50A circuit. I don't believe that would be considered a Best Practice. Are you certain that the Tesla Wall Connector is configured for a 50A circuit? It sounds like it is configured for a 60A circuit.
According to the installation manual you need a 60 AMP breaker to charge at 11.5kW.

Porsche Taycan Tesla Universal Wall Charger 1697838448389

Gen 3 Wall Connector Installation Manual

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you can connect to the Tesla Wall Chargers WiFi hotspot - and then open your webbrowser to 192.168.92.1 (the Wallchargers configuration portal)

and configured the wall charger to "match" the breaker size - this is best practice and safest to match the configuration to the installed breaker/wire-gauge/circuit size.

the Wall Charger's maximum capacity is 48 amp charge rate with a 60 amp breaker - but supports other breaker sizes in the configuration portal - it can also be joined in groups up to 6 total to share a single cirucit for split load dynamic mutiple EV charging.

the latest feature released just last week is you can add it to your Tesla App to see charging statistics and status via the Tesla app and setup fixed charging schedules.

I expect additional software updates in the future to add more and more functionality.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@Mr. 2021 Taycan , the electrician who installed your EVSE should have either configured it to 50A breaker setting or at least told you to do it. As others have mentioned, it seems your EVSE is allowing the Taycan to draw more power that it's supposed to, due to misconfiguration. This would fail an electrical inspection, and should it cause any damage, an insurance company will be looking for someone to blame.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As a side note, that is one of the Tesla EVSE downfalls - the need to connect to Wifi to safely configure it. I assisted some folks setting it up remotely, and the setup process was not smooth - for example an iPhone would connect, but the EVSE website would only partially load. It took 3 different devices (an iPhone 11, some iPad, eventually a Windows laptop) to get it to work. Electricians know how to set dip switches, or rotary switches, but don't typically carry multiple WiFi connected devices to configure Tesla EVSE.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a side note, that is one of the Tesla EVSE downfalls - the need to connect to Wifi to safely configure it. I assisted some folks setting it up remotely, and the setup process was not smooth - for example an iPhone would connect, but the EVSE website would only partially load. It took 3 different devices (an iPhone 11, some iPad, eventually a Windows laptop) to get it to work. Electricians know how to set dip switches, or rotary switches, but don't typically carry multiple WiFi connected devices to configure Tesla EVSE.
this 100% - iPad did the job for me - but I agree most people don't realize there is a web-based configuration step after the physical install.

OP
OP
Mr. 2021 Taycan

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
you can connect to the Tesla Wall Chargers WiFi hotspot - and then open your webbrowser to 192.168.92.1 (the Wallchargers configuration portal)

and configured the wall charger to "match" the breaker size - this is best practice and safest to match the configuration to the installed breaker/wire-gauge/circuit size.

the Wall Charger's maximum capacity is 48 amp charge rate with a 60 amp breaker - but supports other breaker sizes in the configuration portal - it can also be joined in groups up to 6 total to share a single cirucit for split load dynamic mutiple EV charging.

the latest feature released just last week is you can add it to your Tesla App to see charging statistics and status via the Tesla app and setup fixed charging schedules.

I expect additional software updates in the future to add more and more functionality.

Thanks for the details. The electrician should have addressed this :(.

I was able to access the Charger wireless network and reset the amperage to 50 (it seems unlikely a majority of users will figure out how to do this). This lowers the Charger output to 9.6kw and the car is now seeing 8.6kw. Obviously, I would prefer 11.2 and 10.1 to speed charging but understand the stress induced may cause over heating. I would update to a 60amp breaker but the electrician told me the wiring is specified for only 50amps.

Hope this thread is helpful to others using the Tesla Universal Wall Charger.

To get the most out of any wall charger capable of handling 60amps, use wiring specified to handle 60 amps with a 60 amp breaker. You should then get close to the Taycan's maximum charge rate of 11.2kw.

kotyara

First Name
Konstantin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021 4S
Country flag
Does tesla wall charger work fine with Taycan timers? I have emporia which goes into a death spiral when Taycan is not in direct charging 💀

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
works fine with my Taycan timers's since Oct. 2022

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Does tesla wall charger work fine with Taycan timers? I have emporia which goes into a death spiral when Taycan is not in direct charging 💀
Yes it works great. I've tested BOTH the Tesla J1772 and the Tesla NACS as we have both of those (one garage, one driveway) and it works perfectly with timers and such. The Tesla charger will show a solid green (ready), waterfall green (charging), and then once it his the "minimum" it goes to solid blue (standby). When the Taycan requests to resume charging (or to add temp via climate), it goes back to using wall power and waterfall green shows back up. The Tesla wall connector sees that all as a single session, too -- so until it gets unplugged, it'll report total time plugged in and total kW used during that time, so it's great! The app is decent -- WallBox app is maybe a bit more powerful but the necessary data on Tesla works like a charm!

kotyara

First Name
Konstantin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021 4S
Country flag
Yes it works great. I've tested BOTH the Tesla J1772 and the Tesla NACS as we have both of those (one garage, one driveway) and it works perfectly with timers and such. The Tesla charger will show a solid green (ready), waterfall green (charging), and then once it his the "minimum" it goes to solid blue (standby). When the Taycan requests to resume charging (or to add temp via climate), it goes back to using wall power and waterfall green shows back up. The Tesla wall connector sees that all as a single session, too -- so until it gets unplugged, it'll report total time plugged in and total kW used during that time, so it's great! The app is decent -- WallBox app is maybe a bit more powerful but the necessary data on Tesla works like a charm!
Awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored