bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Yes I’m just now learning about EV charging while waiting for a Taycan allocation, and have watched lots of Tom’s reviews. Frankly, the new Tesla Universal charger is actually my front runner, though I don’t currently need the NACS connector, but with current developments, it sounds like a good feature to have.

It can deliver 48A, has good support, long flexible cable, room enough on top to easily wrap the cable around, and I am attracted to the on-unit side holster setup, since I think that will be more convenient for me where I would mount the EVSE in my garage than a front on-unit or remote holster that points the handle perpendicularly out into the space. I’d wait until seeing what the smart options are, but it seems very promising.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes I’m just now learning about EV charging while waiting for a Taycan allocation, and have watched lots of Tom’s reviews. Frankly, the new Tesla Universal charger is actually my front runner, though I don’t currently need the NACS connector, but with current developments, it sounds like a good feature to have.

It can deliver 48A, has good support, long flexible cable, room enough on top to easily wrap the cable around, and I am attracted to the on-unit side holster setup, since I think that will be more convenient for me where I would mount the EVSE in my garage than a front on-unit or remote holster that points the handle perpendicularly out into the space. I’d wait until seeing what the smart options are, but it seems very promising.
If I were starting out today I'd get the Tesla Universal charger too.

Do not over-invest in the Porsche EVSE. I honestly recommend you don't even use it at all.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
best price/performance/feature set on the North American market - just buy it and set it up - you'll thank me later…

pm me if you want my "trick" to making this a "pluggable" charger - but hardwiring is prefered.

just get this EVSE and be happy.

anyone wanna buy my 2 J-1772 Gen3 Wall Chargers and my 1 NCAS Gen3 Wall charger so I can upgrade/swap out to 3 of these instead? I'll make you a great deal!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
UPDATE: with the latest version of Tesla.app you can now add Tesla Gen3 Wall charger to your tesla account - this allows remote monitoring _AND_ now has charging history - which can be downloaded to a CSV file via the Tesla app

it turns out the entire charging history is there from my install of my 3 chargers from Oct. 2022…

this makes the Gen3 Tesla Universal Wall Charger an even better option. Existing Gen3 wall chargers need a firmware update that is seamlessly handled during the registration process.

the new features of the Tesla app are modest - it allows:
  • joining and unjoining of the Wall chargers to a tesla "energy home"
  • access to charging history/stats
  • monitoring of the Tesla charger
  • configuration of a charging 'schedule' - times the Wall charger will "allow" charging to happen
I expect further software updates in the future and gradually more an more functionality to be added.

screen shots in this thread - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ersal-charger-review.13163/page-9#post-269007

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
UPDATE: with the latest version of Tesla.app you can now add Tesla Gen3 Wall charger to your tesla account - this allows remote monitoring _AND_ now has charging history - which can be downloaded to a CSV file via the Tesla app
I would like some info on this, as I'd like to add Chargey support for inhaling this data as it does for WallBox. I get some of it through the Tesla API, but it's not as complete as I'd like.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would like some info on this, as I'd like to add Chargey support for inhaling this data as it does for WallBox. I get some of it through the Tesla API, but it's not as complete as I'd like.
I don't know what they added in terms of API support - I'm only using what ever functions are available via the app - so far it appears to be "minimal" support - I would expect graphs and other things in future updates (no inside details just experience with Tesla as a software company)

this first "strike" is clearly just the bare minimum essentials to get the Wall Chargers online and into the "ecosystem" - I expect more and we'll see what they add in the future

in the mean time here is a download file from one of my chargers - this is for _YOU_ @DerekS - it has only date/time/duration/kWh's - nothing else and seems to be a CVS file, but it is the charging stats for a given Wall Charger

file attached - file name/data UNMODIFIED for your coding/hacking pleasure!

Attachments

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought of you immediately when I saw this in the Tesla App release notes!!!

Porsche Taycan NACS + J1772 Charger -- Tesla Universal Wall Connector launched IMG_1870

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
another reason to consider the Tesla Wall chargers - they have an active software focused owner that offers ongoing support and enhancements where the product gets better over time…

this development makes the Tesla Wall Charger Universal for $600 or less the _BEST_ 60/48 amp NACS/J-1772 EVSE on the market in North America - I have a very very hard time seeing why it's simply not the best choice given price, performance, quality, and feature set.
Sponsored