First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman S
Country flag
Hello all,

I just got my taycan delivered (yay!) but when I got it home and plugged it in my Tesla Universal wall charger, it doesn't charge. The light on the taycan doesn't show white or green, nor does the light on the tesla plug. The My Porsche app shows charging error. When I use the porsche charger that it comes with to plug into a regular outlet, the light goes white then green then charges fine. I've talked to Tesla support and they said everything with the charger seems fine on their end. Has anyone experienced this? How do I fix this?

Porsche Taycan Tesla Universal Charger charging error pic1

Porsche Taycan Tesla Universal Charger charging error pic2

Porsche Taycan Tesla Universal Charger charging error pic3

Porsche Taycan Tesla Universal Charger charging error pic4

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
I'm not an expert of "US specific Tesla charger" related topic but from what I read here you'll need a Tesla to J1772 adapter to make it work...

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
try both ports on the car?

make sure the tesla charger is not in tesla only mode?

my 3 Tesla wall chargers work great

make sure the adapter is well seated

have you power cycled the tesla wall charger - turn the breaker off & on?

can the tesla charger charge other EV’s?

OP
OP
AnhMinh85

AnhMinh85

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman S
Country flag
It does the same thing on both ports. I’ve went into settings and made sure it’s on all vehicles instead of Tesla only. I’ve power cycled the wall charger by turing off/on breaker. I’ve pushed on the adapter and made sure everything is securely connected. Still says charging error every time I plug in. Im asking a friend with a Tesla to come over so I can see if it works on his vehicle

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
...I'm asking a friend with a Tesla to come over so I can see if it works on his vehicle
Your friend with the Tesla will be able to determine if the EVSE is functioning. But, you need another friend with a CCS port to confirm that the J1772 adapter is working. If the non-Tesla and non-Taycan friend's car charges, you will need a friend with a Taycan to rule out your car as the issue. You will probably need a full case of beer, too.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
when your buddy comes over with his Tesla - test the charger with both the native TEsla->Tesla and the J-1772 charger adapter to the J-1772 vehicle adapter - that will allow you to determine if it's the charger or the adapter that is causing a problem.

my bet is on a "bad" J-1772 adatper in the universal charger…

OP
OP
AnhMinh85

AnhMinh85

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman S
Country flag
Ok so update. My friend with a Tesla hasnt come over, but I got a cheap nacs to J1772 adapter online and connected it, and voila! It works! That means my adapter is bad. I hope Tesla can just send me a new adapter and I don’t have to take the whole wall charger off, though I don’t know how the adapter can come off the wall charger by itself

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Ok so update. My friend with a Tesla hasnt come over, but I got a cheap nacs to J1772 adapter online and connected it, and voila! It works! That means my adapter is bad. I hope Tesla can just send me a new adapter and I don’t have to take the whole wall charger off, though I don’t know how the adapter can come off the wall charger by itself
If you have to send the whole charger, at least get them to let you keep the base, so the swap is easy and just plugs in. Or, get them to send a new one first, swap chargers but return the new base with the old charger.

mocsman

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Were they able to send you a new unit? I just ordered one for our 2nd home and wanted to make sure the universal charger does work. TIA.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
If anyone is using a Tesla/NACS handle (North America) charger and needs an adapter that is tried-and-true, I recommend this one:
https://amzn.to/41spDxY
Currently on sale 30% off coupon so ~$50 net ... which is a great price! I've used this on Taycan, Volvo, Polestar, and other cars, with success. We have Tesla wall connector at home and this adapter has been great.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
@mocsman they are sending a new unit after troubleshooting and figuring out it was a bad adapter. I still haven’t received it, but hopefully everything works well with the new one
- EDIT - Nevermind, Tesla pushed an update to my charger which fixed the problem for me.

Last edited: