OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Talked to Sayed at Park Place Porsche. Super friendly and helpful guy. Makes me wish I lived in Dallas.

Wasn't as fast as the Tesla, but handled amazingly well. I was very nervous driving, TBH. Photos don't do it justice. Had insulated glass - a bit of a glare inside at times, but overall OK. AC controls were not straightforward in terms of direction. Front glass was no problem with my polarized sunglasses. Pickup while in gear was ridiculous. Really happy to drive, and now even more anxious to take delivery. Really felt like the car and I were one. It's really, really nice. It takes a lot for me to say that about most anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
You were able to notice that from a test drive on public roads?
Which Tesla do you own?
So, I should clarify a few things because it's not a fair comparison...I was interrupted posting.

First, I test drove the current Model S overnight about 3 months ago. I am referring to ludicrous plus mode. Yesterday, I only went to sport mode, not sport plus, and not using launch mode. Secondly in terms of perceived acceleration, the Tesla caused my head to shoot back more. Maybe it's because I was not used to the electric when I drove the Tesla, or maybe because it was only sport mode yesterday. I did not compare the actual speed over time.

I will say, however, the Taycan felt so much much solid, grounded, and safe, and went faster than I'll ever need to go off the start. The Taycan was also faster in terms of immediate acceleration once already in motion - which is where it's really important, IMO. Overall, the Taycan felt like a really solid, well handling car. The Tesla does not. Both are neat cars, but the Taycan is exciting to drive. I'm not sure I can say it any better than I was very excited driving the car, and I was genuinely disappointed when I realized we coming back around the dealership.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So, I should clarify a few things because it's not a fair comparison...I was interrupted posting.

First, I test drove the current Model S overnight about 3 months ago. I am referring to ludicrous plus mode. Yesterday, I only went to sport mode, not sport plus, and not using launch mode. Secondly in terms of perceived acceleration, the Tesla caused my head to shoot back more. Maybe it's because I was not used to the electric when I drove the Tesla, or maybe because it was only sport mode yesterday. I did not compare the actual speed over time.

I will say, however, the Taycan felt so much much solid, grounded, and safe, and went faster than I'll ever need to go off the start. The Taycan was also faster in terms of immediate acceleration once already in motion - which is where it's really important, IMO. Overall, the Taycan felt like a really solid, well handling car. The Tesla does not. Both are neat cars, but the Taycan is exciting to drive. I'm not sure I can say it any better than I was very excited driving the car, and I was genuinely disappointed when I realized we coming back around the dealership.
It depends on your past experiences. For me the difference is not at all straight line acceleration. Every EV does this well since technically simple.

The difference is the luxury feeling when you first sit in the Taycan and then again when you accelerating into your first corner. It is this feeling you get from "as if the car is glued to the road" and the resulting side G-forces you experience. That is when you want to stop the car and let your brain process what just happened.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
The difference is the luxury feeling when you first sit in the Taycan and then again when you accelerating into your first corner.
+1 for Christian. Just put The Thing into a roundabout with 0.8g. It didn't feel any stressful and appeared far from the maximum. It was genuine fun, like being at Oktoberfest in an autoscooter with the kids.

Cheers,
Henrik

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It depends on your past experiences. For me the difference is not at all straight line acceleration. Every EV does this well since technically simple.

The difference is the luxury feeling when you first sit in the Taycan and then again when you accelerating into your first corner. It is this feeling you get from "as if the car is glued to the road" and the resulting side G-forces you experience. That is when you want to stop the car and let your brain process what just happened.
What you're describing is what sets Porsches apart from its competitors in every segment it competes in :) And from everything I've read by journalists and average joes, it's also what sets the Taycan apart from the Model S, which is important to those of us that derive pleasure from turning our cars and not just stomping on the throttle.

Also, a Taycan will hard launch repeatedly without issue. It stands alone in that ability currently.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also, a Taycan will hard launch repeatedly without issue. It stands alone in that ability currently.
As an aside, even ice cars can’t launch that often consecutively due to heating.

just saw a video where a 911 launched 50 consecutive times to commemorate the 50th anniversary. It actually went 61 times.
The point is the Porsche cares about performance, not one time party tricks.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
What you're describing is what sets Porsches apart from its competitors in every segment it competes in :) And from everything I've read by journalists and average joes, it's also what sets the Taycan apart from the Model S, which is important to those of us that derive pleasure from turning our cars and not just stomping on the throttle.
I am new to Porsche. Are you saying that every Porsche drives like this? I test drove a Macan 4 years ago and it was rather uninspiring. That lead us to the EV competition.

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am new to Porsche. Are you saying that every Porsche drives like this? I test drove a Macan 4 years ago and it was rather uninspiring. That lead us to the EV competition.
I've never driven a Macan, but I have test driven a 911 and a Boxster. This is an entirely different car. Not even close. After driving the Taycan the other day, I don't think the many reviews saying it's the best car they've ever driven was hyperbole.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No of course not :) That's why I said " in every segment." Meaning each Porsche model drives and handles better than any other competitor in their respective segments (sports coupe, sedan, crossover, SUV, EV). :like:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
The Turbo is pretty amazing. When ours is in the shop we get a base model loaner and it's a wee bit lacking in the power category.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Also the Macan GTS is a hoot. With all the stuff like air suspension, PASM, and Sport Chrono, the Macan GTS is pretty crazy in Sport+ for a CUV. There's a difference between that and an S or base without the suspension goodies. (Plus the GTS sits lower than even the Turbo)
Sponsored