The new 21" Aero Design wheels

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Fully aware that taste will be different, but to me the introduction of a new 21" wheel/rim for the J II plattform, was very interesting.

The wheel is slimmer than the other 21" options, and the tire size has been reduced in width as well: 245 for the fronts, and 285 for the rears. I think this is a sensible move by Porsche, at least for those of us that doesn't challenge the slip limits on dry asphalt on a daily basis ( I know you are out there...)...

I would recon that this has positive effects on range, price and the effect of tire studdering in lower temperatures.

Has enyone been able to find the 21" Aero Design wheels in the Tequipment configurator yet? From the technical data alone, there should be no reason for these wheels to be unavailable for the J I (Taycan first gen) cars. Hence my interest to see how they are priced, as well as their availability.

Porsche Taycan The new 21" Aero Design wheels 21 Aero Design
Sponsored

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I agree this looks like a smart move, 285 rears are still pretty chunky. May also help reduce the inner shoulder wear some have suffered.

I think they look good especially painted in turbonite on the turbo.

Porsche Taycan The new 21" Aero Design wheels Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 09.37.36

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It will be the extra width that gives bulk of the drag on the earlier 21" wheels, the spokes make a difference but nowhere near as much as the width IME.

I suppose what this mainly gives is a 21" wheel choice with similar drag to the 20" wheels which is nice if you like the styling too.

OP
OP
cityhpper

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
It will be the extra width that gives bulk of the drag on the earlier 21" wheels, the spokes make a difference but nowhere near as much as the width IME.

I suppose what this mainly gives is a 21" wheel choice with similar drag to the 20" wheels which is nice if you like the styling too.
Indeed. Reduced width may also have a positive effect on tire noise, although that probably depends much on factors like thread design and rubber compund as well.

Hard to tell how this new wheel design appear from pictures alone, but it sure raised my interest.

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I will say again!
My 21’ RS Spyders on my GTS trashed the range of my Taycan.
My 4S on 20’ Aeros was miles better.
Even with the software update Bullshit on the GTS.

And when it rained heavily….
Pushing those 2 foot wide tyres through standing water at anything over 30mph led to a further tragic drop in range.

I left Winchester heading for Stafford ionity after cruising at 70mph in the dry. The guessometer predicted an indicated buffer of 35 miles.
It started to PISS down.
Kept slowing down thinking this should be ok. Ended up too late to change charger location.

Ended up doing 40mph in the M6 slow lane in the dark with hazards on.
Arrived at Ionity with 0% and range 1 mile. A/C off. All steamed up.
Kept reassuring my 82yr old mum everything was ok and it was part of the plan.

It wasn’t.

Porsche are being sensible.
Don’t spec big wheels.

Sticking with the standard smallest 20s on my new Macan4 saving me a further £2000 on the £32000 saved over an identically specced CT4.

Taycan much prettier (At least Pre facelift is!) but I am prepared to ‘go ugly’ for practicality and £34,000 saving…..

Still a Porsche 👍

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Has enyone been able to find the 21" Aero Design wheels in the Tequipment configurator yet? From the technical data alone, there should be no reason for these wheels to be unavailable for the J I (Taycan first gen) cars. Hence my interest to see how they are priced, as well as their availability.
Not been able to find these wheels and tyres on the Porsche site so far.

I wonder if the dimensions also would reqyire an update to the PCM since I guess the circumference may be slightly different. Such difference might trigger problems with ABS etc???

I can see that the Hankook tyres are available to order in these sizes and NFO certified. The price is also very attractive and EU test sound level a few decibel lower!

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I will say again!
My 21’ RS Spyders on my GTS trashed the range of my Taycan.
My 4S on 20’ Aeros was miles better.
Even with the software update Bullshit on the GTS.

And when it rained heavily….
Pushing those 2 foot wide tyres through standing water at anything over 30mph led to a further tragic drop in range.

I left Winchester heading for Stafford ionity after cruising at 70mph in the dry. The guessometer predicted an indicated buffer of 35 miles.
It started to PISS down.
Kept slowing down thinking this should be ok. Ended up too late to change charger location.

Ended up doing 40mph in the M6 slow lane in the dark with hazards on.
Arrived at Ionity with 0% and range 1 mile. A/C off. All steamed up.
Kept reassuring my 82yr old mum everything was ok and it was part of the plan.

It wasn’t.

Porsche are being sensible.
Don’t spec big wheels.

Sticking with the standard smallest 20s on my new Macan4 saving me a further £2000 on the £32000 saved over an identically specced CT4.

Taycan much prettier (At least Pre facelift is!) but I am prepared to ‘go ugly’ for practicality and £34,000 saving…..

Still a Porsche 👍
I must disagree with all that! Whilst recognising it is personal choice and taste but I fail to see how a jumped up SUV can be anything like as much fun as a Taycan. Worse handling etc etc - oh and I love my 21 in Taycan Cross wheels!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche won't sell them to owners of the first Taycan- IIRC the Tequipment selector limits wheel choice according to model variant.
If I were looking at a refresh Taycan I'd certainly consider the new wheels- the tech presentation showed the new standard suspension is more effective in all aspects than the old one, so my previous concerns about 21" ride quality might no longer be relevant.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I must disagree with all that! Whilst recognising it is personal choice and taste but I fail to see how a jumped up SUV can be anything like as much fun as a Taycan. Worse handling etc etc - oh and I love my 21 in Taycan Cross wheels!
What a BIZARRE reply?
‘I must disagree with all that’
‘All that’?
Do you provoke much argy bargy with the passive aggressive stuff?

Nowhere in my post does it say anything about the relative ‘fun’ or the handling of a Macan vs a Taycan. All I said was after my Taycan 21 experience I will be keeping 20s on my Macan. I even put the Macan down with my Go Ugly comment.

Frank likes it because you are have having a completely unprovoked attack on SUVs while having a go at me.

The thread is about 21 inch wheels. I love my RS Spyders as you love your 21s That doesn’t change the fact that they are MUCH less efficient than smaller aero wheels.
I just said that the 21 inch wheels destroy the efficiency and range. This is a fact so you can’t ‘disagree.’
You might not care. Fair enough. Doesn’t change the science.

I completely agree with you that they look miles better. CT 21s, Mission Es, RS Spyders all look ace.
I bet they handle better too but I have never driven aggressively enough to find out.

I also completely agree with you (and Frank) about SUVs in general and specifically Macan vs Taycan.

You brought up the subject so here is my reasoning.

I am buying a Macan for family practicalities and specifically because my sons knees are around his ears in the back of a Taycan. Just not enough room even with the acceptable headroom in a CT.
You can’t extend your legs in the back of a Taycan. Even with the ‘foot garages’ there is not enough vertical between seat and floor.

The other main reason is that, like for like, spec and power, the Macan is over £30,000 cheaper. That is a huge amount of money (to me at least) and I am still in a Porsche, with a better interior and PCM, a sunroof that actually opens and buttons for HVAC instead of a screen.
The Macan is heavier, higher and less aerodynamic but still manages to be more efficient and has a bigger range with a smaller battery.
It is next generation tech compared with the Taycan which helps compensate me for driving a ‘jumped up’ SUV.
I am also compensated by the fact that the Macan EV will be the best handling, best looking and most fun SUV.
I won’t be chasing Taycans on track days.
Finally the depreciation on a Macan will be a smaller % on a smaller amount.
My guess 33% on a £75000 Macan while the Taycan does
40% on £110,000.
25k vs £44k.
This will also help ease the pain of having to slum it in an SUV.
I can’t take another kick in the nuts like I have with my GTS (which I love)

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche won't sell them to owners of the first Taycan- IIRC the Tequipment selector limits wheel choice according to model variant.
If I were looking at a refresh Taycan I'd certainly consider the new wheels- the tech presentation showed the new standard suspension is more effective in all aspects than the old one, so my previous concerns about 21" ride quality might no longer be relevant.
Yes indeed that is an intriguing question, if the 21” can be comfortable with the new suspension where before perhaps might not have been.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
What a BIZARRE reply?
‘I must disagree with all that’
‘All that’?
Do you provoke much argy bargy with the passive aggressive stuff?

Nowhere in my post does it say anything about the relative ‘fun’ or the handling of a Macan vs a Taycan. All I said was after my Taycan 21 experience I will be keeping 20s on my Macan. I even put the Macan down with my Go Ugly comment.

Frank likes it because you are have having a completely unprovoked attack on SUVs while having a go at me.

The thread is about 21 inch wheels. I love my RS Spyders as you love your 21s That doesn’t change the fact that they are MUCH less efficient than smaller aero wheels.
I just said that the 21 inch wheels destroy the efficiency and range. This is a fact so you can’t ‘disagree.’
You might not care. Fair enough. Doesn’t change the science.

I completely agree with you that they look miles better. CT 21s, Mission Es, RS Spyders all look ace.
I bet they handle better too but I have never driven aggressively enough to find out.

I also completely agree with you (and Frank) about SUVs in general and specifically Macan vs Taycan.

You brought up the subject so here is my reasoning.

I am buying a Macan for family practicalities and specifically because my sons knees are around his ears in the back of a Taycan. Just not enough room even with the acceptable headroom in a CT.
You can’t extend your legs in the back of a Taycan. Even with the ‘foot garages’ there is not enough vertical between seat and floor.

The other main reason is that, like for like, spec and power, the Macan is over £30,000 cheaper. That is a huge amount of money (to me at least) and I am still in a Porsche, with a better interior and PCM, a sunroof that actually opens and buttons for HVAC instead of a screen.
The Macan is heavier, higher and less aerodynamic but still manages to be more efficient and has a bigger range with a smaller battery.
It is next generation tech compared with the Taycan which helps compensate me for driving a ‘jumped up’ SUV.
I am also compensated by the fact that the Macan EV will be the best handling, best looking and most fun SUV.
I won’t be chasing Taycans on track days.
Finally the depreciation on a Macan will be a smaller % on a smaller amount.
My guess 33% on a £75000 Macan while the Taycan does
40% on £110,000.
25k vs £44k.
This will also help ease the pain of having to slum it in an SUV.
I can’t take another kick in the nuts like I have with my GTS (which I love)
Sorry bit harsh earlier! TMB! I wasn’t having a go at anyone personally and stressed personal choice. I disagree 21 wheels are an issue, actually prefer them to 20s ! The financial pain of EVs can be eased by being a company purchase and 3p a mile is a no brainer.

Last edited:

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
So isn't the 245/285 tire spec the same as on the 20" wheels? Does that mean the aero 21" wheels are only a styling choice and those tires don't have any better grip advantage?

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Did they release the full sizes for the wheels and tyres? I had a look through the slide show but must be missing it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
So isn't the 245/285 tire spec the same as on the 20" wheels? Does that mean the aero 21" wheels are only a styling choice and those tires don't have any better grip advantage?
Yes, a styling choice which is more efficient than other 21" if you like the look.

Personally my favourite Taycan wheel is a painted 21" Cross Turismo, I don't like shiny machined highlights. If that styling were available in 20" I would have preferred it but I suspect it is machined from an existing forged blank (for the Exclusive design that seems to have been dropped) looking at them both. It may be dropped too if the forging doesn't justify only being used on one style.

Big wheels is a big efficiency killer, particularly in standing water as @Ross found with pumping losses being huge.

FWIW I have always thought a BIG part of the Tesla good range is the relatively narrow wheels they use.
Sponsored