Things -- namely, EA things -- are Looking Up!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
don’t sweat the 100% until you’re doing it multiple times a week…

my prediction is you’ll bail before it reaches 100% - that last 5% is soooooo slow due to tapering.

and if you do the time vs. reward calculations - 5% of 83.4 kWh is about 4 kwh of total capacity - at about 3 miles/kWh - you’ll spend 10 to 15 minutes to gain that last 12 miles of range - which in my opinion is rarely worth the time spent.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
It's clear that EA is starting to get a handle on their network.

Over the past three weeks, I've endeavored to charge at an EA charger every time I need a charge, just to try to see how things are coming along.

Chargers that I was having trouble with before (Burlington, Auburn, Seabrook, Scarborough, Northborough) have worked every time I've charged. I haven't had a single failure.

On top of that, Porsche recently pushed a Connect update that fixed the issue activating chargers via the Connect app...and it works. (There are still weird issues where it kind of loses the fact that it has started a session, and then remembers again, just to forget. Baby steps.)

So, while there are obviously still problems on the network, it's good to see improvements being rolled out. Better still, effective improvements.
Why doesn’t Porsche sell their own 800v charger

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I have had great results with EA over the past two months with my Taycan.

I also have been monitoring the PlugShare scores for the EA chargers along the route from Colorado Springs to Phoenix. I'm driving our E-tron (and maybe our Taycan as well) to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. The scores along the route were originally mixed but over the past month they have all become 10's except for one charger with a Chademo issue. This leads be to believe their recent firmware upgrades have had a big improvement on reliability.
I just drove from LA to Flagstaff back to Denver. The EA chargers along I-10 and I-40 worked great. Everything, but Trinidad, worked great along I-25 - that location is a little bit of a mess. My advice would be to leave the house at 100% and reduce the time you need to charge in Trinidad since it is hit or miss. I did not stop in Wagon Wheel, so cannot comment on that location.

I am dying to try the Denver to Salida to Pagosa to Gallup drive in the Taycan since there is a new Chargepoint 125kw charger in Pagosa. it is 200 miles to Gallup from there, but can be done if you keep the speeds under control. I will wait for the Spring to attempt that drive.

Safe travels!

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I did have a problem at the Burlington EA station on Saturday, and wasn't able to charge at any of the three chargers. I'm not convinced my car wasn't in a weird state, though. The errors I got were either SHUTDOWN_INITIATED_BY_TOWER or COMMUNICATION_FAILED, neither of which is terribly helpful.

Drove to a different location later in the day and I was able to charge without difficulty, so who knows...

Lowpue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 912, 1995 911, 2000 911, 2001 Boxster, 2002 911 4S, 2014 TurboS, 2015 Huracan, TTS ordered
Country flag
Funny, I too was having trouble in burlington but it was Burlington WA. One of the chargers was having connector problems so the charging failed. Called EA and told me to go to another charger which I did and tried to start using connect app but app errored. So EA turned it on remotely for me. Still have yet to charge using EA without a phone call.
Sponsored