AlexPx

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW, I had a tire shop break a sensor while mounting tires on a different Porsche. They grabbed a same brand (Bosch) sensor from their inventory and replaced it, and never told me about it. Turns out there may be different models and/or frequencies within the same manufacturer - so perhaps that happened to you. TPMS should easily be able to handle if the original sensors are moved to a different corner of the car - just re-learning which sensor ID is at which wheel. After starting the re-learn procedure as others have already stated, you have to drive at least 15 minutes, or deflate each tire by at least 5 PSI to wake up the sensor.
Thanks for the info. I got a picture of the device checking the sensors. I’ll attach it. I actually drove quite a while after resetting but still after that 15 minutes it says It’s not working. Maybe because I just drove within the city, so stop and go. I’ll have a longer drive on Tuesday and try again. Let’s see what will happen.

Porsche Taycan TPMS not resetting! 55592FB5-1AAC-4023-869C-E377AC9183F9
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I have now tried this several times and still no change! I even took it down to the Porsche dealer and they just took a look and said “ that is not a Porsche supplied wheel, so we can not help you!” And that was the end of conversation with them. They said they could not do anything! I also tried with a Tyre Fitter not connected to Porsche. They tried to read the sensor, which worked. But they did not have the correct system to programme the sensors in the wheel so still no results.

In my case I suspect the sensors need to have the same ID as the sensors had in the summer wheels? But I have no way of reprogramming the installed sensors unfortunately.

If there is anybody who understands and knows more about TPMS systems please let me know!
This can be very annoying - since most people now rely on the TPMS for tire pressure. I know I tried first couple times to have the relearning without success, then when I switched to another wheel it worked immediately.

I do not think there is a specific sensor position (say left wheel moved to right or such) or a Porsche sensor, just the ability of the system to look at the sensor data.

Interestingly enough, I had just swapped to the winter wheels before I turned the car to the dealership for connectivity issues. The service guys reset all systems to factory settings, yet the TPMS still work.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
This can be very annoying - since most people now rely on the TPMS for tire pressure. I know I tried first couple times to have the relearning without success, then when I switched to another wheel it worked immediately.

I do not think there is a specific sensor position (say left wheel moved to right or such) or a Porsche sensor, just the ability of the system to look at the sensor data.

Interestingly enough, I had just swapped to the winter wheels before I turned the car to the dealership for connectivity issues. The service guys reset all systems to factory settings, yet the TPMS still work.
I'm adding my experiences here because there has been another thread recently started which discusses TPMS issues as well...

I put my new Winter Wheels and Tires (Pirelli P-Zero Winter Elects) on my car myself several weeks ago. Tirerack shipped the pre-mounted wheels and tires directly to me. Porsche compatible TPMS sensors were pre-installed.

The only thing I had to do was change my wheel selection in the PCM settings menu. (As indicated in this thread).

I simply changed my selection from "21 inch Summer" to "20 inch Winter" and the car reprogrammed itself to work with the new TPMS sensors in just a few miles after driving it. The car displayed a message that the TPMS system was being reset and it only took a couple of miles to do so. Absolutely zero drama.

I never had to enter any codes and I never had to reprogram any sensors (I have the Bosch TPMS tool as my GMC Truck requires it).

I just pulled my receipt and the TireRack part for the TPMS sensors supplied was "433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor: RDE047V21 ($56.00)". A search on the TireRack website wouldn't pull them up by part number, but I think I did find them on Amazon ($45.00). The description specifically says " OE Direct Fit Sensor. Ready out of the box - no programming required "

Could it be that the aftermarket TPMS sensors are actually more "Porsche-Compatible" then the Porsche ones? If so, I'm glad I didn't get my wheels/tires from Porsche!

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just pulled my receipt and the TireRack part for the TPMS sensors supplied was "433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor: RDE047V21 ($56.00)". A search on the TireRack website wouldn't pull them up by part number, but I think I did find them on Amazon ($45.00). The description specifically says " OE Direct Fit Sensor. Ready out of the box - no programming required "

Could it be that the aftermarket TPMS sensors are actually more "Porsche-Compatible" then the Porsche ones? If so, I'm glad I didn't get my wheels/tires from Porsche!
I guess the sensors are exactly the HUF/BERU sensors that normally are installed in Porsche supplied wheels. Then everything will work just fine. These sensors are more expensive then other programmable once, but seems worth it.

If you get other programmable sensors, they must be cloned or programmed to that reference you gave.

In my case I suspect they did not have the exact match to that RDE047 sensor and just choose another Porsche sensor. The programming worked but not correct for the Taycan and the car would not recognise the sensors.

Porsche wanted 1250 Euros to fit new sensors and programme them in the car.

Tyre fitter charged 200 Euros for fitting a new set of cloned sensors! Simple 40 minute job!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Porsche wanted 1250 Euros to fit new sensors and programme them in the car.

Tyre fitter charged 200 Euros for fitting a new set of cloned sensors! Simple 40 minute job!
A pretty stiff "Porsche tax"! Especially if someone buys their wheels from Porsche in the first place...

Just to be clear, many of us did not require any cloning, programming, etc. Just put our wheels on and changed the wheel selection in the PCM. Done.

Personally, I think all of the Porsche 20" Taycan wheels are pretty ugly. These are winter wheels in so it doesn't matter much (to me) in any case. Not only can you get a much cheaper, better looking (IMHO) wheel/tire set from an aftermarket supplier, it also looks like you can skip a hidden 1250 Euro installation fee...

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors (991981TPM) from Suncoast on 20" Techart wheels, Taycan recommended rubber....and set PCM to Winter 20" and she 'learned' wheel change (and showed pressure reads) after a few miles.
Hope you can sort this out.
Any dealer telling you wheels must be Porsche is bogus. I have custom wheels on other cars and no issues....their PCM figuring it out.

AlexPx

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My problem is solved. I already gave up in getting the TPMS working with the winter tires. I tried to reset it two times a day driving to work and back home. Also tried setting different tire types. In the end I just set it to the correct tires and decided to check it again with getting the summer tires back. After about two weeks after that I had a trip of about 400 km. With approximately 250 km driven, the TPMS showed the tire pressure. It is working properly since that time. I have no idea why, but simply taking a longer tour may work.

Mtljckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, BMW i3s, X5, 540i
Country flag
A pretty stiff "Porsche tax"! Especially if someone buys their wheels from Porsche in the first place...

Just to be clear, many of us did not require any cloning, programming, etc. Just put our wheels on and changed the wheel selection in the PCM. Done.

Personally, I think all of the Porsche 20" Taycan wheels are pretty ugly. These are winter wheels in so it doesn't matter much (to me) in any case. Not only can you get a much cheaper, better looking (IMHO) wheel/tire set from an aftermarket supplier, it also looks like you can skip a hidden 1250 Euro installation fee...
What wheels did you purchase? I see P Zero is a tire available as aftermarket, but the wheels must be able to support the car's weight. How do we know they're suitable?

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
I believe this is the good thread ...to ask this stupid question:

I 've my winter (porsche original) set ready to swap ... do I need to pass by local dealer to set these winter sensors to the car ? Or can it be managed by myself ?

Thanks for replies
Sponsored