TURBO or TURBO S

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Hi......so I started with a 4S build and then decided to move up to a Turbo.......I can justify the 15k difference for the all around power difference
However, I also have a chance to move up to a Turbo S for another 15k but I’m having a tough time justifying since it seems other than launch control the power is identical between the Turbo & Turbo S
Am I correct or m I making a mistake holding tight with the Turbo?
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If there's only a $15k difference between each "tier", then I'd guess you are giving up a bunch of options for each "step". I think I'd be more interested in what options are on the car than what model.

The Turbo S has PCCB and that's an anti-option for me, so I'd stick with the Turbo. But the only person you need to make happy is yourself. :)

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
good point, I have everything equally spec’d between the Turbo and Turbo S
the price difference is 15k which I’m assuming would be 15k for a little faster launch time which I just cannot justify

If there's only a $15k difference between each "tier", then I'd guess you are giving up a bunch of options for each "step". I think I'd be more interested in what options are on the car than what model.

The Turbo S has PCCB and that's an anti-option for me, so I'd stick with the Turbo. But the only person you need to make happy is yourself. :)

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The CF bits and such are nice on the Turbo S also. And you save $2k on tires, because it comes with summer tires already. :p

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I did the Turbo to Turbo S move, but that was because I was able to get a 5% discount on an in stock Turbo S. I wouldn't have made the jump without the discount.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
I have a Turbo and love it. You may not have it for 6 years, but the ceramic brakes are $30,000+ to replace!!

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
makes sense

I did the Turbo to Turbo S move, but that was because I was able to get a 5% discount on an in stock Turbo S. I wouldn't have made the jump without the discount.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I have a Turbo and love it. You may not have it for 6 years, but the ceramic brakes are $30,000+ to replace!!
With all the regen, ceramics should last 200k+ miles on a Taycan. I'm actually more afraid of PSCB because they'll still be $8-10k to replace and only last 30% longer than standard brakes.

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
How are you calculating the difference between 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S as $15K per model when the base pricing is $103,800, $150,900, and $185,000 respectively?!? Even if you fully load the 4S and look for same features in Turbo it’s at least $35K difference...and an even larger difference with the S...curious.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Schlossj
so obviously I use the Turbo S build as the benchmark, then I build the 4s and Turbo with the exact specs, everything exact
that leaves the 4s around 180k, Turbo at 200k and Turbo S at 215k.
i can justify the 20k add for the Turbo because of the extra power at all times however the S‘s only advantage from what I’m gathering is the extra launch mode punch which I don’t see the value if all other driving between the turbo and s are the same performance

How are you calculating the difference between 4S, Turbo, and Turbo S as $15K per model when the base pricing is $103,800, $150,900, and $185,000 respectively?!? Even if you fully load the 4S and look for same features in Turbo it’s at least $35K difference...and an even larger difference with the S...curious.

Last edited:

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
This has been my experience as well and why I went with the 4S. For me I couldn’t justify the $30K for features I wouldn’t use very often. @TheFutre , care to share your build codes? It would be interesting for all of us to take a look. Not to criticize, just curious.

OP
OP
TheFutre

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Dlurker20
PMTVXFC0

This has been my experience as well and why I went with the 4S. For me I couldn’t justify the $30K for features I wouldn’t use very often. @TheFutre , care to share your build codes? It would be interesting for all of us to take a look. Not to criticize, just curious.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had a similar dilemma & downgraded from Turbo S to Turbo only to be offered an earlier build slot with a Turbo S, so took it.

However, I will point out that there is a mid-range speed difference between the two cars, so it’s not all just on launch control.
Nice dilemma either way though.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Turbo S is too fast. There, I said it.

I've mentioned before but I'm strongly of the view that you only get the Turbo S if it's the one you just have to have.

Outside of HP, you don't really get much going from a 4S to a Turbo S. It's faster but it doesn't drive better, have a nicer interior (provided what you choose to option), or sound better. Those are the things that usually really separate the Turbo/Turbo S Porsche cars but in the Taycan it's really just going up levels of fast.
Sponsored