OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
David-E
I took delivery (well “collected”) my 4S start of July and I’ve used every type of charger since. Ionity on trip to ferry, 13amp Connect lead via 3 pin, 50kw public charger - and last week I met an electrician to install a commando socket at my holiday home (I’ll use with the smart tech of Connect lead like you) And a few days ago my Wallbox 7.4kw (1ph) charger was installed at home (a game changer as this will suit 90-95% of my charging needs.
I’m advised to let the car control the parameters of the Wallbox and consider E7 off peak tariff but I’ve yet to program for this.
Yes, lead is short (& couple of metres shorter) on the Porsche Connect with commando (or 13amp) connections - I was acutely aware of this when planning the position of my commando socket at my holiday home. The car is w brute too ... so house : car : short lead and avoiding obstacles takes a moment of careful planning.
If you want the Connect lead assembled With commando and photographed + measured drop me a PM
Hi @snb7x many thanks indeed for your message. Which brand of Wallbox did you go for? The Wallbox brand itself (I have one of those) or Anderson or another?
A measurement of the connect lead with commando would be fantastic. I’ve got an electrician going round to my holiday home this week to look at the wiring etc. Hoping he can fit a socket before we go on 8 August otherwise it will be tough to charge at any pace in The Dales it seems!
Cheers
David
Sponsored

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Hi @snb7x many thanks indeed for your message. Which brand of Wallbox did you go for? The Wallbox brand itself (I have one of those) or Anderson or another?
A measurement of the connect lead with commando would be fantastic. I’ve got an electrician going round to my holiday home this week to look at the wiring etc. Hoping he can fit a socket before we go on 8 August otherwise it will be tough to charge at any pace in The Dales it seems!
Cheers
David
All forwarded via PM now ☑

R20KESH

First Name
rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s and x, range rover sport phev, porsche taycan, merc
Country flag
HI.. just wondering I did not get a red connector for 3 phase Commando (only blue and 13amp 3pin) with my Porsche charger, and the type2 end was already attached and screwed into place.
is that normal

R20KESH

First Name
rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also after a fault with my 12volt battery.. apparently the service department has had an advisory note NOT to use any non-porsche chargers.. in particular, not to leave car plugged into any non-porsche charger after it has completed charging (i.e overnight) ABL or Wallbox chargers mentioned in particular

OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Also after a fault with my 12volt battery.. apparently the service department has had an advisory note NOT to use any non-porsche chargers.. in particular, not to leave car plugged into any non-porsche charger after it has completed charging (i.e overnight) ABL or Wallbox chargers mentioned in particular
Oh bugger, I've got a wallbox charger...

R20KESH

First Name
rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think they are not really sure at the moment. The thought is leaving car on charge with some non-porsche chargers, keeps more systems awake and can drain the 12volt battery

Would be crazy, not to be able to leave the car charging overnight. This is absolutely normal behaviour.

Have a couple of Tesla (X and S) and even a RangeRover plugin and my normal routine is when I get to work, or home to plug whichever car I have been driving in to top up

Porsche assistance (AA) said I was the third Porsche Taycan, they had been called to last week with a 12 colt battery problem.

I unusually hadn't actually left on charge overnight...so this is not the cause of teh fault with mine

Imagine mine is just a degraded battery, from being sat in Grimsby port for 3 months

I had an early tesla model s p85+ (june 2014) and honestly, it felt more of a mature product than this Taycan

Taycan is great hardware .. but poor software

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
HI.. just wondering I did not get a red connector for 3 phase Commando (only blue and 13amp 3pin) with my Porsche charger, and the type2 end was already attached and screwed into place.
is that normal
The red connector is an extra. Cost £75 from Porsche. 3 day delivery from Germany

brunoreddy

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FYI.. The Porsche documentation says :

1595345574518.png

Which confirms that 7.2Kw is the limit for Single phase when on a 32Amp supply.

Just a shame they charge over £500 for the wall box to fasten the charger into. :-(

Full manual here :

https://files.porsche.com/filestore...obile-Charger-Connect-Installation-Manual.pdf
I'm using the Porsche Mobile Connect and have had a 32A fuse and commando socket fitted so that I can use the 32A dongle that came with the charger. However, it's limiting itself to 16A - says so on the screen. "Maximum 16A". This is at home on single phase, by the way.

Any ideas why it does that?

(Before you ask, the photo of the housing unit was taken before being wired up :smile)

Porsche Taycan UK Porsche mobile charge connect - what output with 32A commando socket WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 16.17.22

Porsche Taycan UK Porsche mobile charge connect - what output with 32A commando socket 20200728_143941

Porsche Taycan UK Porsche mobile charge connect - what output with 32A commando socket 20200728_143750

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I'm using the Porsche Mobile Connect and have had a 32A fuse and commando socket fitted so that I can use the 32A dongle that came with the charger. However, it's limiting itself to 16A - says so on the screen. "Maximum 16A". This is at home on single phase, by the way.

Any ideas why it does that?

(Before you ask, the photo of the housing unit was taken before being wired up :smile)

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 16.17.22.jpeg

20200728_143941.jpg

20200728_143750.jpg
sounds strange, I am using the same setup and it allows up to 32amps. It does some sort of automatic current sensing, just a thought, is there other electrical loads on the same board drawing current which is limiting current to the Porsche charger?

Last edited:

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
sounds strange, I am using the same setup and it allows up to 32amps. I’d does some sort of automatic current sensing, just a thought, is there other electrical loads on the same board drawing current which is limiting current to the Porsche charger?

I should know my commando option when I visit my holiday home in the next 48hrs and plug in as an alternative to my Wallbox Pulsar plus home charger - I’ll update then for all watching this thread!

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
I just switched over to the 32a (red) cable and obviously the car still charges at 16a / 11.2kw

Porsche Taycan UK Porsche mobile charge connect - what output with 32A commando socket 6FB38315-72BE-46DF-B8A4-F401EF92253B

Porsche Taycan UK Porsche mobile charge connect - what output with 32A commando socket 9C7F0B34-74AA-4120-AF61-355F78BFBE31

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't think the car will take more than the 11kW that pic is showing? Is that 3 phase 240V@16A?
Sponsored