Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
I'm new to EVs and have a long wait ahead (GTS on order for sometime in 2023).

I'm thinking about charging options. At the office we have a single phase 32A Commando socket that I assume will give me a 7.4kW charge.

At home I'm looking at getting one of the mainstream chargers.

It got me thinking though. When charging at the office what am I missing vs using a dedicated charger. Obviously at the office I'm not getting any info from the 32A commando, but does the car provide any charge status info?

I suspect it'd be considerably cheaper to have a 32A socket installed at home, but just wondering what the good reasons are not to go that route.
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
The car and the myporsche app will show you the car's state of charge.

By the time you've got the cabling and fuse board etc put in, it shouldn't be vastly more money to get a dedicated charger installed. There was a government subsidy to have ev charger installed, not sure if it's still going though.

The other thing with the 32 commando is you'll have to use the evse that comes with the car - so lots of faffing around hooking cables up and getting them in and out of the car etc each time you charge.

Personal recommendation is to get an dedicated charger installed with a tethered cable. I went for a wallbox pulsar unit. Plenty of other options. I thought the Porsche sponsored Anderson unit was very expensive, albeit coming in a nice cabinet.

I''ve gone the 32a commando route for a second location which i'll need to charge less frequently at, but still have chance of decent charging speed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm new to EVs and have a long wait ahead (GTS on order for sometime in 2023).

I'm thinking about charging options. At the office we have a single phase 32A Commando socket that I assume will give me a 7.4kW charge.

At home I'm looking at getting one of the mainstream chargers.

It got me thinking though. When charging at the office what am I missing vs using a dedicated charger. Obviously at the office I'm not getting any info from the 32A commando, but does the car provide any charge status info?

I suspect it'd be considerably cheaper to have a 32A socket installed at home, but just wondering what the good reasons are not to go that route.
There's a fundamental gap in knowledge here that needs to be closed.

The chargers for the car are physically built into the car for both AC and DC charging.

The wall box is better referred to as the Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) and simply provides a safe electric current to supply the charger in the car.

The car controls the charging process and not the EVSE.

The car comes with the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) as standard. Despite the name this is your EVSE. Have a dedicated 32A fused supply run to your EVSE location installed. This will provide 7.4kW and perfect for home / overnight charging.

For the work scenario make sure you option the Public Mode cable to connect your car to this outlet. Check also what other EV owners are using.
Sponsored