[USA] Taycan Loaner - Brand New - how do I use use EA Charging?

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
So my 4S is in at the dealer for the Red circle of death - TBC once I get to know more. However - I have to drive 500 miles in next two days and so have a brand new delivery mileage Taycan loaner - when I tried to charge this brand new car at EA - it would not recognize the car in Plug and Charge attempts - eventually after a few attempts with the App I got it to authenticate and start charging through the Porsche App.

The charge option is selected in the PCM so it is not that - I have it connected to my profile successfully - but I tried three different chargers (at one location) and none of them would initiate a charge (until I logged in then used the Porsche App) .... any ideas?

I am a little nervous as I will need to use a public charging service at least twice in the next few days.....
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Typically Plug&Charge is tied to the car and the car owner's MyPorsche account, which has Porsche Charging Service active. Not sure, but I doubt you will have Plug&Charge for a temporary loaner vehicle.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Typically Plug&Charge is tied to the car and the car owner's MyPorsche account, which has Porsche Charging Service active. Not sure, but I doubt you will have Plug&Charge for a temporary loaner vehicle.
Interesting - not that this is anything that we can rely on - but the dealer believes that Plug n Charge is active and it should just work (meaning I was doing something wrong, tho other than turning it on in the PCM - which I did - not sure what I could do wrong).... ... I did not have time to go back to the dealership and I leave at 5.00am tomorrow - I guess I will have to wing it and see what happens... o_O

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting - not that this is anything that we can rely on - but the dealer believes that Plug n Charge is active and it should just work (meaning I was doing something wrong, tho other than turning it on in the PCM - which I did - not sure what I could do wrong).... ... I did not have time to go back to the dealership and I leave at 5.00am tomorrow - I guess I will have to wing it and see what happens... o_O
When you use your app, is the loaner accessible for remote access - can you see its mileage, door lock status, etc? In the PCM settings and the app, is Porsche Charging Service shown as active? And when you login to the car when you drive, are you the primary login, or are you a secondary, or guest?
If the car has been assigned to your MyPorsche profile as one you own and you are primary, then Plug&Charge should work, if you have it enabled in PCM.
You may have to check about primary access in MyPorsche website. I don't know how to do this with app.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The loaner is not visible in my logged in “my Porsche app”….
The Porsche charging service is active in the PCM (it was not until I turned it on)….
I signed into the vehicle at the PCM …. But looking at it now ..... I show up as a secondary account ….

I will see if I can set myself up in the my Porsche website as a primary account but I believe you have to submit ownership documents to allow that (or the dealers has to initiate it)…. At least that is what I had to do with my speedster ….

[EDIT] .... when I try to add the car to my profile (register as primary account) ... this is the screen I get ... the dealership would need to register me I guess for Plug n Charge to work. As long as I can get the App to initiate charging (or even to pay for it) I do not care ...... but I was hoping someone else had worked through this with a brand new loaner and there was some process I missed....

Porsche Taycan [USA] Taycan Loaner - Brand New - how do I use use EA Charging? LOANER_REG

Last edited:

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I had the same issue with a brand new loaner a month ago. I tried log in with my porsche account but did not work. Eventually i gave up. It is probably easier to just pay it with a credit card.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

drkgt3rs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3RS
Country flag
You can use your My Porsche app. You open your app and initiate the charging the way you use an app when you can not use plug and charge feature at certain EA sites. I had a Tacan loaner did not have any problem.
The loaner does not have to appear on your app.

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can use your My Porsche app. You open your app and initiate the charging the way you use an app when you can not use plug and charge feature at certain EA sites. I had a Tacan loaner did not have any problem.
great thanks …. I am guessing that is what I stumbled upon today …..

OP
OP
CaliPorsche

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to close this thread out - unless you are set up as the primary account plug n charge does not work on the loaner - and as @drkgt3rs correctly stated - you need to go old school (pre 2021) and use the Porsche App to authenticate the EA charging session.
Did this twice already and it works no problem, with the charging session showing up against my Taycan even tho it is a different VIN.
Sponsored