Using the 12 volt sockets for tire inflation.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
There is an interesting and active thread on a mystery drop in range just recently. Further investigation led to the discovery that the culprit may be newly installed sticky tires (presumably for better spirited driving). This led to a discussion of tire inflation, among other matters. Given that the drop in range was so dramatic, 280 -> 220 miles, I hastened to check my tire pressures in the 4S (45 front, 40 back) bringing along a 12 volt electric air pump. I couldn’t use the air pump. It seems the 12 volt sockets are not ”live” until I start the car, even though the dash had illuminated with its usual greetings. Since the car was, in some sense, “on”, I was reluctant to do anything else, as I would be outside the car, crouched down fiddling with tire valves and my compressor With a 5,000 pound vehicle looming over me and scant inches from a cement wall.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to use the 12 volt sockets (one between passenger and driver, the other in the trunk) while outside the car? Thanks. Steve
Sponsored

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
There is an interesting and active thread on a mystery drop in range just recently. Further investigation led to the discovery that the culprit may be newly installed sticky tires (presumably for better spirited driving). This led to a discussion of tire inflation, among other matters. Given that the drop in range was so dramatic, 280 -> 220 miles, I hastened to check my tire pressures in the 4S (45 front, 40 back) bringing along a 12 volt electric air pump. I couldn’t use the air pump. It seems the 12 volt sockets are not ”live” until I start the car, even though the dash had illuminated with its usual greetings. Since the car was, in some sense, “on”, I was reluctant to do anything else, as I would be outside the car, crouched down fiddling with tire valves and my compressor With a 5,000 pound vehicle looming over me and scant inches from a cement wall.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to use the 12 volt sockets (one between passenger and driver, the other in the trunk) while outside the car? Thanks. Steve
I have a MY20 and the 12V outlets stay on for about 30 min after exciting them by having the car turned on.