VIN decoder - anyone has a web link?

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Does anyone know of a FREE VIN decoder website?

I have just received my VIN from my leasing company. I have tried a few sites but all these are paid options.

All I want to check is the build sheet, specifications, etc...

I cannot use the My Porsche App yet, as the car is through a leasing company (salary sacrifice scheme) and until the car gets delivered, I cannot get it linked to MyPorscheApp.

Thanks..
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not aware of anything like that. Can you ping the supplying dealer to see if they can share the details?

OP
OP
Porsche-Guru

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not aware of anything like that. Can you ping the supplying dealer to see if they can share the details?
Dealer won’t talk…. (Quite common as lease company advises dealers to not interact until vehicle delivered :rolleyes:).

I recall from my years with BMW, that I could easily find my BMW build details from a VIN number.
There were many sites and they were all free.

I have found a few sites (VINdecoderz, etc…) but they are all paid sites and not even sure they will provide the actual detail (as these sites seem to be US centric, providing car history, theft details, etc…).

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry cant really help further. All my order details, specs etc. came through My Porsche and/or dealer ordering system

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
You can find your full build spec online at My Porsche - underneath Technical Spec is the full details.

OP
OP
Porsche-Guru

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can find your full build spec online at My Porsche - underneath Technical Spec is the full details.
Unfortunately... can't do that.
As written in my post, the car is not yet linked to my profile in MyPorsche !

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
If you have the VIN, you should be able to add it yourself. I recall no intervention from the dealer in getting mine on there. Do it online rather than via the app.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you have the VIN, you should be able to add it yourself. I recall no intervention from the dealer in getting mine on there. Do it online rather than via the app.
Good point. However I don't recall ever adding mine by VIN. It just flowed through from the order / was linked to my email address.

OP
OP
Porsche-Guru

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have already tried it via website.
It asks for evidence of car ownership... and there is a form to fill up (Power of Attorney) that needs to be signed by the Owner (i.e. the leasing company) and then sent with proof to Porsche.

Good point. However I don't recall ever adding mine by VIN. It just flowed through from the order / was linked to my email address.
This will work if the order was placed directly by yourselves.. and the dealership then linked the order with your email address.
-------------------------

I guess I will have to sign up to one 3rd party website and pay to get my build sheet.

I don't have an issue with paying £/€ 10...
The issue is that these sites all seem to be US based and may not even pick up a European VIN.

Examples:
https://vinanalytics.com/
https://www.vindecoderz.com/
https://vindecodervehicle.com/

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I guess I will have to sign up to one 3rd party website and pay to get my build sheet.

I don't have an issue with paying £/€ 10...
The issue is that these sites all seem to be US based and may not even pick up a European VIN.
Will they even have any info? Depends if Porsche release details before the car is officially built / delivered - is there any law which says they must?

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
OK, fair enough, maybe that is why mine went on easily. Interestingly, my spec includes things not ordered... seems to have the thermally AND acoustically insulated windows!

OP
OP
Porsche-Guru

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will they even have any info? Depends if Porsche release details before the car is officially built / delivered - is there any law which says they must?
Once a VIN is released... then the details are available...
and I presume there is some API that taps into the manufacturer's system to fetch the details.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Once a VIN is released... then the details are available...
and I presume there is some API that taps into the manufacturer's system to fetch the details.
Take your word for it. Never used one of those sites, seemed too much like snake oil sales 😅