Anyone sold a turbo recently?

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
I just sold an X5 through CarWow for £5k more than WBAC - I would give them a go for sure as the dealers on there seem to pay attention to spec. Otherwise I have sold through Anthony James Cars before - sale/return basis. Highly recommend them - they do good pics, instagram etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Taycant

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
So I sold it eventually for 97k to sellcar. Less than I hoped for but I think a decent result given what is clearly a rapidly slowing market. They were pretty good to deal with tbh, reasonable and transparent.

Tried pretty much everywhere. Summary below for others.

OPCs - mostly not interested at all. Cambridge eventually offered 95k
Motorway - valued it at 106k, best actual offer was 93k
Carwow - valued it at 103k, best actual offer was 95k
Sytners - 95k
Webuycarsdirect -95k
Sellcar - valued at 101k, actual offer 97k

A bunch of other offers that were derisory (low to mid 80s) and many buyers refused to quote.

Tldr - market inflation appears to be mostly gone now as others have pointed out but still worth shopping around as variation in offers are HUGE.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Interesting... but the OPCs are still selling over list price. As someone stated earlier they are being very aggressive in their trade in prices and as an individual you probably can't sell for anywhere near those prices, if at all.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Today new car supply is increasing (dealers are getting cars), pent-up demand from covid is going away as people satisfied their needsare losing their jobs, and interest rates are skyrocketing. This results in higher supply, lower demand, and therefore lower used car prices.
FIFY.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Interesting... but the OPCs are still selling over list price. As someone stated earlier they are being very aggressive in their trade in prices and as an individual you probably can't sell for anywhere near those prices, if at all.
As long as the queues are full and the allocations are low, they can afford to. On the trade-in side, a lot of dealers (at least over here) overpaid to acquire used stock, and are now staring at selling low - if they are even selling. Since it's a game of averages, they are low-balling on trade-ins to make up for the losses "acquired" previously.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Based on what data? Unemployment in the US is lower now than during the used-car-market boom.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
I didn't think you'd take my comment seriously, but since you asked - the very document you shared says unemployment rate increased by .2%, and that the number of unemployed persons grew by 300k-odd.

However, my mostly-in-jest comment was meant to say that the drop is less due to satiation and more to a change in sentiment. There is definitely a chill in the economy, and used car inflation was among those that decreased by most (in the October CPI) - all discretionary.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I didn't think you'd take my comment seriously, but since you asked - the very document you shared says unemployment rate increased by .2%, and that the number of unemployed persons grew by 300k-odd.

However, my mostly-in-jest comment was meant to say that the drop is less due to satiation and more to a change in sentiment. There is definitely a chill in the economy, and used car inflation was among those that decreased by most (in the October CPI) - all discretionary.
I never said unemployment didn't rise, only that it is still lower than during the used-car market peak. I also didn't say that satiation was the sole reason, only that most people who postponed buying a car they would have normally bought during COVID, have caught up with their needs - which was one of the reasons (again, not the only reason) for the car market boom. I did however skip over the reason you mentioned - people being more cautions with the economy showing signs of possible recession next year. While I think this is a factor which has some impact, IMO it's still small (if interest rates on cars were still ultra low, more people would be buying them all else being equal).

I heard of few people canceling their Taycans orders recently, a bunch of them because their monthly payment would be a lot higher than when they originally put their deposit down. Talked with one guy at a Porsche clinic event who said he backed out of a GTS ST and is buying a CT4 instead (his dealer had another cancelation so let him swap). Taycan, with its myriad of possible configurations and almost contiguous pricing levels, is the kind of car which tempts people to max out their budgets. When interest rates skyrocket during the wait, it can make the purchase unaffordable to customers who could have otherwise afforded it with the old interest rate.

PS> Side note, I have noticed (anecdotally on a few cars, I have no large scale stats) that used cars in $50-$60K range did not seem drop much lately. Perhaps people dropping out of $100K+ car market are now competing for the lower prices used cars, propping prices in those ranges?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I never said [things]
Well, ok, I interpreted your original comment as saying the used car market exploded because of needs, and I plainly disagree with that. IMO it was supply chain/production stoppages, WFH/relocation, a surplus of cash, boredom, needs and possibly others. We seem to be in vehement agreement that it's always about the supply/demand balance, which has swung violently in both directions over the past 2-3 years.

PS> Side note, I have noticed (anecdotally on a few cars, I have no large scale stats) that used cars in $50-$60K range did not seem drop much lately. Perhaps people dropping out of $100K+ car market are now competing for the lower prices used cars, propping prices in those ranges?
To quote your other post, are they listing or selling? ;-) But very likely - and back to OP's topic, I suspect the demographic constituting Taycan buyers might be feeling the pinch more than others: not in the "can't afford" sense, but in the "perhaps not a good time" one. Finance and IT (which I assume make a sizeable part of that demographic) are encountering the strongest headwinds.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
To quote your other post, are they listing or selling? ;-)
My observation was made based on (automated) trade-in quotes.

I suspect the demographic constituting Taycan buyers might be feeling the pinch more than others: not in the "can't afford" sense, but in the "perhaps not a good time" one. Finance and IT (which I assume make a sizeable part of that demographic) are encountering the strongest headwinds.
Remember that Taycan demographic includes the Tesla demographic overlap which consists of tech workers whose compensation is often tied to stocks. The same stocks they might have been planning to use to buy a Taycan in 2021 will no longer cover car. This same demographic often stretches to buy cool tech cars, so if the monthly payment now went up by $500, it really does make it unaffordable to them, especially if they happen to have a rising mortgage payment because they chose variable rate. I got a glimpse of the breakdown of Taycan demographic in a Porsche organized Taycan "clinic" for new and upcoming owners. about 60% older guys (55+) who kept talking about all their other Porsches they have or had, and 40% tech workers ~40 who never had a Porsche before, most have had Tesla(s).

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I got a glimpse of the breakdown of Taycan demographic in a Porsche organized Taycan "clinic" for new and upcoming owners. about 60% older guys (55+) who kept talking about all their other Porsches they have or had, and 40% tech workers ~40 who never had a Porsche before, most have had Tesla(s).
I'm in neither, so no wonder I did not merit an invitation.

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Tesla MX P100D
Country flag
Interesting discussion. My recent datapoint. I just sold my wife's 2019 G550 to make room for incoming CT4. Givemethevin.com valued the SUV back in 01/22 for $150K (I didn't go for it at the time). Same company offered $90K in 10/22. I eventually sold it to servicing dealer for $122K. Probably could have sold for a few k more if I bothered to sell it privately, but overall happy with the outcome. The used car market softened significantly IMHO.
Sponsored