Ted1999

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi, I have a Taycan GTS on a ship headed my way and I have a couple of questions on the wall charger I hope an expert can help me with!
It's my first EV and I'm grappling with the installation of the wall charger (not that I have it yet).
I got an indicative quote from the Porsche recommended installer which is AUD2,200-2,600. That seems like crazy money for running a few cables through the loft and installing a breaker! So I asked the company who installed my home battery and they quoted AUD1,300 but said that is installation only, I need to contact Porsche for the commissioning.
So my questions are:
1. Is that price from the recommended installer nuts?
2. What is involved in commissioning one of these things and is it something I can do myself?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GLC AMG43, 2024 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
You don’t need Porsche involved, for recommendations or hardware.

I’m in USA so don’t know what companies make a good charger in Australia, but it won’t be hard to find out. Get the hardwired version (vs plug in) and have your electrician do it. I paid $550 for the charger, and $800 for labor to install.

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
There are lots of threads on this forum about chargers, and as you are 240v in Oz you might find the UK based replies more useful. You should be able to find them using the search function.
You can use the included charger with a suitable 30A outlet. You don’t need another dedicated wall box, and it comes with a wall mount, or at least it used to. Not sure what the connectors are in Australia but in the UK we use ‘commando sockets’. You don’t need porsche to commission anything. Just plug it in.
In the UK you need a type B RCD to prevent electrocution if the supply develops a fault, the Porsche supplied one doesn’t include this protection. But a dedicated wall box should include this built in.
I have a Zappi ( https://www.myenergi.com/product/zappi-ev-charger/) at home, again don’t know if you have them, and a 30A commando socket at my son‘s house for the portable Porsche charger.
Hope this helps.

Cherryjock

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
Hi, I have a Taycan GTS on a ship headed my way and I have a couple of questions on the wall charger I hope an expert can help me with!
It's my first EV and I'm grappling with the installation of the wall charger (not that I have it yet).
I got an indicative quote from the Porsche recommended installer which is AUD2,200-2,600. That seems like crazy money for running a few cables through the loft and installing a breaker! So I asked the company who installed my home battery and they quoted AUD1,300 but said that is installation only, I need to contact Porsche for the commissioning.
So my questions are:
1. Is that price from the recommended installer nuts?
2. What is involved in commissioning one of these things and is it something I can do myself?
Thanks in advance!
This is the company that Porsche UK 'partner' with, they will also install the charger that comes with the car. The install is about 965AUD.
https://andersen-ev.com/pages/porsc...kZ0Rox_7q3Plcqe9jaNl2JlAiTXVssdoaAgTzEALw_wcB
My local electricians just wanted to install the charger they knew and did not want to touch the Porsche one.
Even if local regs allow you do do electrical work without appropriate certification (UK does not) I would strongly recommend getting a professional: there is significant current (and potentially heat) involved.
Sponsored