Weights for Taycan OEM wheels

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I'm shopping for 20 inch aftermarket wheels to replace my OEM's. I cannot however find any reliable data online to indicate: (a) the weight of various Taycan OEM wheels, and (b) how far I can deviate (+ or -) from OEM wheel weight without adversely effecting acceleration, handling, range, etc. Any intel/guidance will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Everything will have a deviation from the OEM wheels. Even the factory wheels can deviate as much as 10% from each other. The factory charge port covers create a deviance between both options available.

I'd focus on what makes you happy from an appearance standpoint, as you are not likely to see any aftermarket wheels engineered to improve any range aspect of the Taycan.

OP
OP
Tsingtao

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Everything will have a deviation from the OEM wheels. Even the factory wheels can deviate as much as 10% from each other. The factory charge port covers create a deviance between both options available.

I'd focus on what makes you happy from an appearance standpoint, as you are not likely to see any aftermarket wheels engineered to improve any range aspect of the Taycan.
I'm just attempting to improve (subjectively) the look of the car without destroying any handling characteristics. If I lose a few miles of range, that would be a-ok, but if I put a set of rims on the thing that significantly increases the unsprung weight and upsets the suspension, that would be a modern day tragedy. I just have no idea how much weight I can add before getting into trouble.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm just attempting to improve (subjectively) the look of the car without destroying any handling characteristics. If I lose a few miles of range, that would be a-ok, but if I put a set of rims on the thing that significantly increases the unsprung weight and upsets the suspension, that would be a modern day tragedy. I just have no idea how much weight I can add before getting into trouble.
This is a massively heavy car that has been brilliantly engineered to cope with the weight. A few lbs on the wheels will make no difference whatsoever in terms of handling and range. Of course you'll need to pay strict attention to width/offset etc. I would focus on getting what you like.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is a massively heavy car that has been brilliantly engineered to cope with the weight. A few lbs on the wheels will make no difference whatsoever in terms of handling and range. Of course you'll need to pay strict attention to width/offset etc. I would focus on getting what you like.
I'm with the OP here - thinking about after market wheels and the options range from 30lbs to 50lbs; obviously the lower the better, but I wouldn't want to go +15lbs over stock per wheel. It would be nice to know what the stock ones weight.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I'm shopping for 20 inch aftermarket wheels to replace my OEM's. I cannot however find any reliable data online to indicate: (a) the weight of various Taycan OEM wheels, and (b) how far I can deviate (+ or -) from OEM wheel weight without adversely effecting acceleration, handling, range, etc. Any intel/guidance will be greatly appreciated!
Take a look at this link from the @Administrator about Suspension. At the bottom of the thread, last image of 20” with specs and tire size weighed in at 60 to 66.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/deep-dive-2020-taycan-turbo-suspension-brakes-wheels.916/

OP
OP
Tsingtao

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Take a look at this link from the @Administrator about Suspension. At the bottom of the thread, last image of 20” with specs and tire size weighed in at 60 to 66.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/deep-dive-2020-taycan-turbo-suspension-brakes-wheels.916/
Great info, thanks! Now to determine the weight of the tire and all the compressed air inside and then subtract from 60 lbs. A rep from Techart advised that their 21 inch forged Taycan rim was about 27 lbs. I can't imagine that would be significantly more (or less) than the 21 inch OEMs. So for now I will hover around the 28 and 30 pound weights for fronts and rears respectively. Also mysterious -- to me at least -- is how heavy, or light, one can go with regard to wheel weight without causing issues. Everything I have read indicates that substantially increasing unsprung weight can have a negative impact on the suspension. But where is the limit, 2 pounds, 5 pounds, 10 pounds??? Perhaps one of our engineer brethren on this forum can weigh-in (pun intended).

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Great info, thanks! Now to determine the weight of the tire and all the compressed air inside and then subtract from 60 lbs. A rep from Techart advised that their 21 inch forged Taycan rim was about 27 lbs. I can't imagine that would be significantly more (or less) than the 21 inch OEMs. So for now I will hover around the 28 and 30 pound weights for fronts and rears respectively. Also mysterious -- to me at least -- is how heavy, or light, one can go with regard to wheel weight without causing issues. Everything I have read indicates that substantially increasing unsprung weight can have a negative impact on the suspension. But where is the limit, 2 pounds, 5 pounds, 10 pounds??? Perhaps one of our engineer brethren on this forum can weigh-in (pun intended).
For what it's worth, most of the wheels for the Taycan being sold by tire rack are 38 to 45lbs (for 21").

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
@Tsingtao also consider that the wheel and tire is not the only unsprung weight. You also have the weight of the brake assembly, upright and springs and coilovers which could be up to 40-50lbs on top of the 60lb wheel/tire per corner. So a 10-15lb increase is not going to be of any significance to anyone but someone looking for tenths of seconds on a race track.

OEMs also typically hold their wheel strength standards higher than aftermarket so it wouldn't be uncommon to find aftermarket wheels that are lighter than OEM. Personally, for a 5000lb car, reducing unsprung weight in the wheel assembly would not be a great concern of mine and that's coming from someone who has spent quite a bit of time at the race track. (You could likely shed 100lb total in unsprung weight by swapping to carbon ceramic brake rotors though.) Also have a background in vehicle dynamics and friends that work at OEMs.

Tire weights also vary quite a bit (you can look them up on tirerack). You could save 5lbs per corner by going down 50mm in width, but who would want to sacrifice traction and wear for unsprung weight?

OP
OP
Tsingtao

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
@Tsingtao also consider that the wheel and tire is not the only unsprung weight. You also have the weight of the brake assembly, upright and springs and coilovers which could be up to 40-50lbs on top of the 60lb wheel/tire per corner. So a 10-15lb increase is not going to be of any significance to anyone but someone looking for tenths of seconds on a race track.

OEMs also typically hold their wheel strength standards higher than aftermarket so it wouldn't be uncommon to find aftermarket wheels that are lighter than OEM. Personally, for a 5000lb car, reducing unsprung weight in the wheel assembly would not be a great concern of mine and that's coming from someone who has spent quite a bit of time at the race track. (You could likely shed 100lb total in unsprung weight by swapping to carbon ceramic brake rotors though.) Also have a background in vehicle dynamics and friends that work at OEMs.

Tire weights also vary quite a bit (you can look them up on tirerack). You could save 5lbs per corner by going down 50mm in width, but who would want to sacrifice traction and wear for unsprung weight?
Good info, thank you very much. I'm not looking to shave tenths of a second off my track time -- never actually driven on a track -- just trying to avoid doing something really stupid and/or wasting several thousand dollars in the process! I will however, in the not too distant future, weigh my 20" OEM Sport Aero wheels and publish the weights (excluding tires) for anyone else who is curious.

OP
OP
Tsingtao

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Why don’t you take one off and weigh it?
I would like to have done that but I'd need to remove the tire to do so. My technical skills are way, way lower than most of the folks on this forum. EG, I don't even own a torque wrench to check that I have properly tightened lugs after putting a tire back on the car. I know it is pathetic, but this is my first Porsche and I am now trying to be more of a hands-on, knowledge-based owner. Thanks to the great input from folks on this forum, I think I am already making progress. I am by the way going to attempt my very first mod (replacing US amber lights with Euro clear lenses) as soon as Suncoast delivers them. Baby steps!
Sponsored