Weird Charging Issue at Free Public Charger

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was trying to use a public charger at the airport today. There are two types on each floor. One charges at around 1.8kW and the other at 7kW. I take whatever is free as they are normally fully occupied. Anyway, last week I charged at the slow charger with no issues. I set up the timer and the car was at 90% when I arrived just as I had planned it. Today, I was happy to find a 7kW charger open. I have used them before but today, it did not like to be plugged in with a timer set rather than direct charging. When I set up the timer, the charger kept clicking on and off every couple of seconds. The charging display on the lower screen did not go green or blue, instead it was grey and kept cycling without giving me a time when the battery would be charged. I tried messing with profiles and timers but the only thing that would fix it was direct charging. I didn't want to charge to 100% immediately for obvious reasons so I moved the car to a non charging spot. Anyone else faced a similar issue? The charger is a ChargePoint brand. I've used
Sponsored

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Had similar issue with Volta. I end up turning profile and timer off. Then it works fine.

But also have to plug and unplug a couple of times before it starts working on it's own. Volta is free as well. Not sure I understand the logic of why I have to turn off the timers. But that does solve the issue for me.

Charging menu was gray with the spinning circle of death.

Just add more notes for my next dealer visit.

-ThinkMac-

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had similar issue with Volta. I end up turning profile and timer off. Then it works fine.

But also have to plug and unplug a couple of times before it starts working on it's own. Volta is free as well. Not sure I understand the logic of why I have to turn off the timers. But that does solve the issue for me.

Charging menu was gray with the spinning circle of death.

Just add more notes for my next dealer visit.

-ThinkMac-
Thanks. Yeah I left the car for a couple of days so I didn’t want to have it charged to 100% and then just sit there.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
If it is not a DC charger you could use a profile to take it 80 or 85 % and then when you want, use the app to change it to 100%…

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If it is not a DC charger you could use a profile to take it 80 or 85 % and then when you want, use the app to change it to 100%…
Yes that’s true. I wasn’t sure what it would do once it reached the set level and wasn’t comfortable leaving the car alone for 1-2 days plugged into a charger that was behaving strangely.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
It should not behave strangely. Another issue may be if someone gets upset when he needs to charge and sees your car is plugged in and not charging. Hopefully no harm to car, at most a note …

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
It should not behave strangely. Another issue may be if someone gets upset when he needs to charge and sees your car is plugged in and not charging. Hopefully no harm to car, at most a note …
And I wouldn't blame them for being annoyed. I don't have my Taycan yet, but even I know it's poor etiquette to park a car for a few days in a free charging spot like this.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
recently at my local airport where there are 4 free L2 chargers there in a longer term parking lot.
one day I arrived and saw that there was a tesla model 3 parked in one of the spots and he didn't even bother to plug the car in.
oddly enough an airport cop was walking his dog in the lot and I pointed the tesla out to him, FLA law prohibits parking in a spot designated for charging and not charging.
by fla law he could have ticketed or even had the car removed from the spot.
I do not know the outcome but the cop was giving the car a once over.

there are two points here about L2 chargers at places like airport longer term parking, they are are a terrible idea because the car will be fully charged in a few hours and then the space is blocked until the driver returns from their trip.
I have tried with little success for my local airport to provide 110 outlets to allow for slower charging for those on multiday trips to use rather than blocking the L2 units.

and as noted using a charging spot as a parking spot is not only bad etiquette but in some locales it is illegal

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
And I wouldn't blame them for being annoyed. I don't have my Taycan yet, but even I know it's poor etiquette to park a car for a few days in a free charging spot like this.
recently at my local airport where there are 4 free L2 chargers there in a longer term parking lot.
one day I arrived and saw that there was a tesla model 3 parked in one of the spots and he didn't even bother to plug the car in.
oddly enough an airport cop was walking his dog in the lot and I pointed the tesla out to him, FLA law prohibits parking in a spot designated for charging and not charging.
by fla law he could have ticketed or even had the car removed from the spot.
I do not know the outcome but the cop was giving the car a once over.

there are two points here about L2 chargers at places like airport longer term parking, they are are a terrible idea because the car will be fully charged in a few hours and then the space is blocked until the driver returns from their trip.
I have tried with little success for my local airport to provide 110 outlets to allow for slower charging for those on multiday trips to use rather than blocking the L2 units.

and as noted using a charging spot as a parking spot is not only bad etiquette but in some locales it is illegal
I agree it is poor etiquette to park in a public parking lot for even a few hours if your car is fully charged. I think the airport long term parking is quite different though. I am normally away for 2-3 days and on the slow charger it actually takes 2-3 days to fully charge. There are a total of 20 free chargers, 4 on each floor, and people park there for a couple of days all the time. I have never felt annoyed about that, perhaps I would if someone was away for 1-2 weeks and occupied a spot but occupying a spot for 2-3 is expected behavior IMO.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
2 or 3 days to charge on an L2 charger? I don't think that you are on an L2.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
2 or 3 days to charge on an L2 charger? I don't think that you are on an L2.
I don’t believe I mentioned L2. One charge at around 1.8kW and the other at around 7kW
Sponsored