What is the highest quality audio source?

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
Anyone have any data on what bitrate/quality the various available audio sources are putting out?

I ask because when I connect my phone via blutooth and play Spotify, it seems to sound a lot better than the Apple Music integration and Sirius XM.
Sponsored

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Your best source are Files on a USB Drive. Specifically HI-Res FLAC (NOT compressed MP3) files served up via a Thumb Drive plugged into your USB port. (We are still trying to find out the specific DAC resolution associated with the Burmester...)

The audio compression built into Bluetooth will degrade your audio significantly. The compression and limited bandwidth Sirius XM uses is even worse. Your iPhone can't cut it either...

See Here

Last edited:
OP
OP

HigherLevel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Porsche Macan S, 2021 Taycan Turbo S (Jan 21)
Country flag
That sucks since it means a process of constantly transferring files and never discovering new music while driving.

FWIW my Samsung S9 seems to have a really good bluetooth connection because the audio is by far the best through it compared to all other sources I've tried excepting USB as I haven't tried it yet. Will compare though!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I look forward to people’s study results. I would be very surprised, however, if the hierarchy is not:

1. Plugged in USB device with Hi-Res Audio Files
  2. CarPlay (wired or wireless) OR Plugged in non-CarPlay device with CD quality audio files
  3. Bluetooth
  4. Sirius XM

This is expectation, not testing results. Like I said, looking forward to hearing any test results!

tez1

First Name
t
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
That sucks since it means a process of constantly transferring files and never discovering new music while driving.

FWIW my Samsung S9 seems to have a really good bluetooth connection because the audio is by far the best through it compared to all other sources I've tried excepting USB as I haven't tried it yet. Will compare though!
What news on use with USB?

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I look forward to people’s study results. I would be very surprised, however, if the hierarchy is not:

1. Plugged in USB device with Hi-Res Audio Files
  2. CarPlay (wired or wireless) OR Plugged in non-CarPlay device with CD quality audio files
  3. Bluetooth
  4. Sirius XM

This is expectation, not testing results. Like I said, looking forward to hearing any test results!
Where do you think the native Apple Music app sits?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
My guess that it would be in the same place as CarPlay. Based on historical Apple tendencies, I would expect them to use the same format for streaming to the PCM Apple Music app that they use for the iPhone itself.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
In the cloud where you can never get it back... Once you sell your "music soul" to Apple, you can never get it back!

I have a whole wall full of CD's and each and every one has been ripped to hi-res FLAC (and also MP3). While I have ALSO uploaded this music into iTunes, its is purely a secondary repository for me. I've never lost ownership of my music. I can do anything I want with it, in any format I want, in as many formats as I want, on any storage device, with no DRM, or internet access required.

Still got a CD Collection? Try ripping it to hi-res FLAC with a fully automatic Nimbie Autoloader and dbPowerAmp software. Ripped, organized, and tagged all automatically... Just stack 'em up!

..and no iPhone/iPad ever had/has a hi-res DAC (Digital Analog Converter) built into it. (Although several Android phone do...) If you want to get HiRes music out of your iPhone, you will have to attach a 3rd Party DAC (like a Dragonfly). ...and even then, the Taycan has no way to accept the pure analog audio source from an external DAC. (Check that other thread I linked, there is yet another link there to an article explaining the challenges - and potential solutions - to get hi-Res audio out of an iPhone.)

Reactions: TIM