What's a reasonable non-refundable deposit?

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
There was talk of a €5,000 deposit before ordering at my dealer, but upon ordering it was never mentioned again, and I've no idea if they'll even ask for one. I ordered about a month ago with production in September.

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
For CA residents: In California a dealer cannot ask for more than 2.5% of the purchase price as a deposit, and all deposits are refundable at the request of the buyer, until the vehicle purchase contract is signed (CA Vehicle Code §11736)
I wish I knew this before I put down my deposit. They charged me a 10% non-refundable deposit for my GTS regular white with black leather interior. I added ~40k in options. This was in Feb 2022 when most dealers were asking for 10-20k over MSRP so I was happy to just pay MSRP.

Tesla2Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S P85 + Taycan GTS
Country flag
I would get the wheel and tire insurance; I didn’t but lots of examples on here where it made sense to! Especially if getting the mission e wheels.
I’m getting the mission e. Curious to know what the cost and coverage I should expect.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
Seems aggressive. I paid $3k (refundable) at my dealer and they only recently changed their policy to $3k (was $1k for all Porsche deposits).

I am a good customer with them and have serviced my 911 and my wife's Panamera there, so that may have played a factor.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I wish I knew this before I put down my deposit. They charged me a 10% non-refundable deposit for my GTS regular white with black leather interior. I added ~40k in options. This was in Feb 2022 when most dealers were asking for 10-20k over MSRP so I was happy to just pay MSRP.
just because they said it’s non-refundable doesn’t make it so. If it’s not legal in CA, it’s not legal in CA, regardless of what you signed*. No doubt they know this; if push came to shove they know they’d have to give it back.

*Not a lawyer, but somewhat confident that’s how it works in These United States.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I put down a $1k refundable deposit on a highly customized, $162k MSRP, Taycan 4S. My first impulse is that no non-refundable deposit is reasonable given they can probably sell any car they get in a few days. As others have said non-refundable deposits are likely not lawful depending on the state. But, it is a seller's market right now so all bets are off when it comes to markups, deposits, etc.

iipabrewer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Enjoying my 21' Taycan 4S
Country flag
While the refundable part is true, not sure about the other part, as dealers routinely ask for, and get, much higher deposits than 2.5% here in California. I had to put $10k down to get my GT4 and $15k for the Taycan.
Wow I purchased this morning in CA and put down $5K refundable. This seemed reasonable considering the cost of the car. However I did pay over MSRP.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
In my case, during 2021 I was able to negotiate conditions on my non-refundable deposit. The SA agreed to refund if the delivery didn’t occur by a certain date. Since your concern is about delays, try negotiating some reasonable date after which you have the option of refund, e.g. currently quoted delivery date for the allocation +1 month.

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4 RS; Panamera 4S; Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
My thoughts on deposits for Taycans and other normal Porsches:

Should be $2.5-5k, payable via CC, and refundable up until the allocation locks. If your build is crazy high or low, perhaps $5-10k. After the car locks, I think it should be refundable upon subsequent sale of the vehicle / takeover of the allocation if you back out.

Some SAs, like mine, don't ask for a deposit for an order demand...but they'll ask for a deposit once they have a real slot. This prevents dealers from deposit harvesting, and I wished more of them would adopt this mentality.
Sponsored