JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
SInce my Tesla wheels were stolen last year I’ve been a bit concerned about leaving my car in a semi secure parking garage. I opted for the “locking wheel bolts” for 60$. Are these just a speed bump for thieves or are they legit?

CE0499F7-BFF1-45FE-8D8D-8881E0A9DC8C.jpeg
Why do we have to live in a world with so many assholes? Sorry this happened.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I viewed a couple of videos as you have suggested. All wheels locks can be defeated, however it seems that a thief in an EV parking spot with a sledge hammer, multiple attempts to remove the socket would attract more attention than a thief might want. He would have to do this on all four wheels. Personally, I use two separate locks on each of my GT3 Forgeline mono-block wheels. It won't stop them, however it might make them go to another vehicle that is an easier boost. The name of the game is not to make it easy for them.

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wheel locks/special bolts are easily defeated with a portable impact wrench. The only thing that they do is give you a headache when you need to change a tire. Not worth it. Not worth the risk.
To his point, I once forgot to retrieve a wheel lock from a detail shop and had to drive 2 hours to recover it when I remembered a few days later.....not a fun experience. Luckily, they didn't throw it out, but they certainly would have had I not called them back.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I viewed a couple of videos as you have suggested. All wheels locks can be defeated, however it seems that a thief in an EV parking spot with a sledge hammer, multiple attempts to remove the socket would attract more attention than a thief might want. He would have to do this on all four wheels. Personally, I use two separate locks on each of my GT3 Forgeline mono-block wheels. It won't stop them, however it might make them go to another vehicle that is an easier boost. The name of the game is not to make it easy for them.
That is the point of all of these is to make it more difficult to steal your wheels/car/etc. That's what they are deterrents not theft prevention devices. The whole point, at least to me, is to make your vehicle a less attractive target.

There are lots of different types of thieves. A professional that is determined to steal your wheels/car is likely to succeed. But there are a lot of amateurs that might well be deterred. Even a Pro may pass your car up for an easier target.

At any rate I'm willing to spend that little bit of extra money to possibly prevent finding my car up on blocks ;)

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Brabus has very nice locking bolts, each one has a lock, so each wheel has 5!
Then these are made flush to the holes, and they are all sunk, so there is no opportunity to grab anything around them. On the inside it looks like a big torx type hole and you need the right Brabus adapter to lock into that hole (it’s like an 11 point star, unevenly distributed. )

I don’t think 3rd pty solutions can do a decent job, while being cosmetically acceptible. It’s really up to the car manufacturers to solve this. Brabus already did it.

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Brabus has very nice locking bolts, each one has a lock, so each wheel has 5!
Then these are made flush to the holes, and they are all sunk, so there is opportunity to grab anything around them. [...] It’s really up to the car manufacturers to solve this. Brabus already did it.
We need strong crypto with unique keys for each bolt. ;-) And, sorry but I just can't help myself - not sure Brabus is a car manufacturer. ;-) (I honestly don't know - Ruf and Alpina are, for instance, as they can print their own VINs.)

Hang on, is this an option I missed in the Configurator? I thought I had locking wheel nuts 😳
You might have missed it. It's under "wheel accessories", and it became a paid-extra for MY23. The change in the configurator was introduced around May-June last year? (together with the price increases)

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
What about a blockchain? A chain to secure the wheels to the car and block people from taking them?
^this. @Jhenson29 I'd encourage you to delete your post, launch a startup, produce a prototype, and then sell the company for many $Bs (or do a SPAC IPO and then maybe look for a merger). I'd be happy to accept a seat on the board.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
We need strong crypto with unique keys for each bolt. ;-) And, sorry but I just can't help myself - not sure Brabus is a car manufacturer. ;-) (I honestly don't know - Ruf and Alpina are, for instance, as they can print their own VINs.)

You might have missed it. It's under "wheel accessories", and it became a paid-extra for MY23. The change in the configurator was introduced around May-June last year? (together with the price increases)
I had an MY22 config that moved to an MY23 one and my dealer didn’t point that out.

I do have a locking wheel key?

Porsche Taycan Wheels stolen /locking bolts 80FCB743-8DED-47A3-A4E8-97B026ED9D0F

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I remember a story once….

Two men see a bear running towards them. One man puts on running shows. The other says “you idiot you’ll never out run the bear.” The first says I don’t have to out run the bear….

I know my locks will never be able to stop them from being stolen, but they may deter them enough to steel yours instead…

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
^this. @Jhenson29 I'd encourage you to delete your post, launch a startup, produce a prototype, and then sell the company for many $Bs (or do a SPAC IPO and then maybe look for a merger). I'd be happy to accept a seat on the board.
Already ahead of you. Someone named….hang on I wrote it down….Elon (sp?) just offered me $44B for my wheel blockchain.
Sponsored