Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
SInce my Tesla wheels were stolen last year I’ve been a bit concerned about leaving my car in a semi secure parking garage. I opted for the “locking wheel bolts” for 60$. Are these just a speed bump for thieves or are they legit?

Porsche Taycan Wheels stolen /locking bolts CE0499F7-BFF1-45FE-8D8D-8881E0A9DC8C
Sponsored

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
That would have been very tough to take. Locking wheel nuts make it harder.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
What wheels did you have on the tesla? I haven't heard of wheels being stolen for a while! Cars, yes all the time where I'm from (Canada) but not wheels.

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
What wheels did you have on the tesla? I haven't heard of wheels being stolen for a while! Cars, yes all the time where I'm from (Canada) but not wheels.
Just stock 19” wheels I had powder coated black

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Wow, something else to worry about. I use McGard wheel locks. I don't know first hand, but I bet the OEMS only use a handful of different configurations. McGard has thousands.

Deleted member 6348

Wheel locks/special bolts are easily defeated with a portable impact wrench. The only thing that they do is give you a headache when you need to change a tire. Not worth it. Not worth the risk.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So there's like no way to secure the wheels?

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Wheel locks/special bolts are easily defeated with a portable impact wrench. The only thing that they do is give you a headache when you need to change a tire. Not worth it. Not worth the risk.
Forgive my ignorance here. How does an impact wrench easily defeat a wheel lock such as McGard. If one does not have the socket the fits the lug, how is it easily removed.

Deleted member 6348

Forgive my ignorance here. How does an impact wrench easily defeat a wheel lock such as McGard. If one does not have the socket the fits the lug, how is it easily removed.
They are trivial to defeat. The keyed sockets aren’t necessary for their removal.

Do a search on YouTube.

Fortunately, with a Taycan, you don’t have to worry about your cat getting stolen. 😜

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
SInce my Tesla wheels were stolen last year I’ve been a bit concerned about leaving my car in a semi secure parking garage. I opted for the “locking wheel bolts” for 60$. Are these just a speed bump for thieves or are they legit?

CE0499F7-BFF1-45FE-8D8D-8881E0A9DC8C.jpeg
That looks exactly like Elon's work. He needs the money... (sorry OP)