Why does my car lower the suspension by itself?

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just got my RWD Taycan delivered and I couldn't be happier. This thing is just perfect!

Today I realised that the cars air suspension lowers itself automatically when I'm cruising down the highway. My suspension settings is set on normal height, but the car just decides to lower itself depending on the road conditions which I haven't figured out fully yet.

Is this normal? Is there anyway to bypass this? I live in a country with shitty roads and I don't want my car to lower itself unless I want it to.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats on getting your car! I'm still waiting on mine.

In Range mode, the car automatically lowers itself at higher speeds to achieve greater aerodynamic efficiency and therefore range.

The 2021 Taycan does have the ability to use GPS to "memorize" locations where you need greater ride height. I'm not sure if it's something that works over long distances as it's primarily used to raise the suspension over steep driveways and such.

Finally, you should program one of the assignable steering wheel buttons to raise your suspension when you encounter one of the pain in the ass roads. This video does a great job of explaining this and a bunch of other features you'll appreciate:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
In Range mode, the car automatically lowers itself at higher speeds to achieve greater aerodynamic efficiency and therefore range.
That's not correct.
In Range mode it is lowered at the deepest and doesn't change during the ride.

He means he is in Normal mode (or Sport mode) where the car goes from normal ride height to lowered (not deepest) when going over 90 km/h.
Going below that speed it'll raise again to normal ride height.

Note that the ride height in Normal mode and Sport mode is always the same for some wierd preset of Porsche.
I find it annoying you can't save your settings in the drive modes (regen/sound etc), except in Individual mode (not all though).
So annoying...

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW, since there is already a button on the instrument cluster to control the suspension height, I wouldn't waste the only programmable steering wheel button on suspension height.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just got my RWD Taycan delivered and I couldn't be happier. This thing is just perfect!

Today I realised that the cars air suspension lowers itself automatically when I'm cruising down the highway. My suspension settings is set on normal height, but the car just decides to lower itself depending on the road conditions which I haven't figured out fully yet.

Is this normal? Is there anyway to bypass this? I live in a country with shitty roads and I don't want my car to lower itself unless I want it to.

Thanks!
Unfortunately you can't and is speed and and driving mode dependent. Much of this is covered in the Porsche Good To Know App which you should download and read if not already done so.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
FWIW, since there is already a button on the instrument cluster to control the suspension height, I wouldn't waste the only programmable steering wheel button on suspension height.
You mean the lift mode?
That's only available at speeds below 25km/h and lowers itself again above that.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You mean the lift mode?
That's only available at speeds below 25km/h and lowers itself again above that.
Yes but IIRC (which is questionable) it will raise the car to the highest setting allowed at your present speed.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yes but IIRC (which is questionable) it will raise the car to the highest setting allowed at your present speed.
It would be nice if you remember it correctly.
This looks like a guess. :)
Either you state something that is verified or you don't.
That statement is interesting though (but I highly doubt it...).
It would mean that it always goes to Normal ride height cuz that's the setting that is allowed in Individual mode at any speed...
So, are you sure?

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tested this out today and unfortunately I did not remember it correctly. The fixed button sets the height to maximum if the speed is low enough, and does nothing but generate a warning on the instrument cluster otherwise.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Tested this out today and unfortunately I did not remember it correctly. The fixed button sets the height to maximum if the speed is low enough, and does nothing but generate a warning on the instrument cluster otherwise.
I know. :)
Sponsored