Window tint

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
How dark is too dark for window tint on a Taycan?
it all depends on the laws where the car is registered. some states are some pretty arcane regs in place. any reputable installer should know what is or isn't legal to install where you are.

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
I’ve always gone for c.25% visible light when doing the whole car, or 30-35% when just a lighter tint at the front to blend in factory privacy glass.

Anything beyond 15% will be too black imho

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I went with 50% all around (except the windshield which I left alone) and find it to be just about right on a black car. Smooths out the appearance on the sides, blends well with the panoramic roof, allows good visibility at night, and keeps the car a little cooler during the day. Additionally, the cops can still see in when they pull you over, which helps to keep them in a relaxed state of mind. For sure, 50% is subtle, but still a big improvement over the stock glass.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
I did 30% back and sides. Xpel Prime XR Plus with 98% Heat Rejection

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I did 35% on front windows (legal limit) and 5% on rear. I originally thought the 5% was a little dark, but I’m used to it now. No issues.

Edit for picture:
Porsche Taycan Window tint 3C3BF099-3B47-4FC1-A519-0420DC356113

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
I did 35% on front windows (legal limit) and 5% on rear. I originally thought the 5% was a little dark, but I’m used to it now. No issues.

Edit for picture:
3C3BF099-3B47-4FC1-A519-0420DC356113.jpeg
Looks sleek - why does the tiny 3rd rear side window look darker? Or is it just the picture?

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
there's a few other posts with PLENTY of pictures with Taycans and tint - scroll down a pinch and you'll see SIMILAR THREADS. Click that and scroll through the pictures. literally DOZENS of images people have posted over the years

things to note - some people like it darker than others. Some laws (and countries, surely) have different legal levels. but the light allowed percentage IS NOT THE SAME AS THE HEAT ALLOWED percentage (i've just learned all this reading these posts today). some people put a clear tint on front windshield, with a high IR blocking rate - allows light in, but reflects the sun's heat rays.

i'm from Atlanta originally where EVERYONE had EVERYTHING tinted. i know dozens of people who got pulled over for too dark tint - every jurisdiction is different. I'm now in Kentucky and it's a pinch cooler here, but still hits 90 most summer days. I got my Taycan last year end of July (ZERO tint) and honestly it was much cooler than i thought it'd be in the summer. I do NOT have the extra insulated glass - but SURELY these 'clear' windows already have some level of IR reflection in them... (??)

if you have a dark interior - the tint looks darker. Lighter interior does the opposite. you can have a 35% on a dark interior car that looks tons darker than a 20% on a lighter interior car -

I've got the white taycan - i think a super dark tint is best on a light car - but my laws only allow 35% on the front. i personally don't' like different levels on different windows - i want them all to be the same. I just haven't decided if i'll do 35% all the way around yet....

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Looks sleek - why does the tiny 3rd rear side window look darker? Or is it just the picture?
I think it’s just the picture or maybe the lighting. I don’t see a difference if I go out and look at the car.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
20% all around so that it all matches except the windshield which is 70%. You cannot tell there is tint on the windshield, just there to keep heat out. I have been doing 20% on all my vehicles since the 80's. I think it looks best and on cars that come with factory tint on the rear doors it matches much better than the 35%.

If you get pulled over, put all the windows down. The LEO needs to feel safe and be able to see who is in the car etc. Tint violations are probably used more as an add on charge for un cooperative motorists. :)
Porsche Taycan Window tint TaycanPorsche

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
What condition is your vision in?
in my 50's and need the dollar readers, but otherwise okay. During the day zero vision impact and it keeps the sun from making you squint and hot on the side of your face. At night, maybe I am used to it, but have no issue seeing out. Maybe in a totally dark area with no light and no moonlight, out the back window might be a bit dark, but with the camera and reverse lights you are fine.

wylmastephenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Different states have their own window tinting laws, so you must pay attention to your state's law when choosing your tint percentage. If you want to tint your windows more, you can use magnetic sunshages. I buy sunshades here: https://snapshades.com/car-sun-protection-for-infants/ . I have a friend who has his car 80% tinted, and now every time we drive past the cops, he rolls all 4 windows down. I'm amazed how he's been able to avoid a ticket for months now. I don't advise you to do that because the fines for tinting are high.
Sponsored

Last edited: