Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2021 Audi E tron
Country flag
My Taycan GTS caught a stone in the windshield two days ago. The rock left a 1 1 /4-1 1/2" chip that was very deep and showed some delamination. Normally I would have a glass company fill the chip but this was much deeper. I took the car to my Porsche Dealer for an estimate and I was prepared for this to be expensive. The estimate was shocking, $4,500. (windshield $2669, install $250, other labor $1392) YIKES! I've asked for a more detailed cost breakout and I will publish that when I get it.
Sponsored

Wrtflyr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s the price my insurance paid for my windshield 2 years ago. It took 2 months just to get the windshield. The labor portion includes recalibrating all your safety systems built in to your GTS. Even if you get the windshield from an independent glass shop you’ll have to take it back to Porsche for the recalibration.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sorry to hear the bad news, OP. Is that cost estimate to replace the regular glass or the thermal and noise insulated glass? Looking forward to reading your more detailed estimate.

While the windows on my 2022 RWD are still intact, I can share some experiences from my wife's Audi SUV. After picking up her new SUV in January 2022, my wife is on her third windshield. The first two were broken in March 2022 (on the freeway) and April 2022 (on a 45 mph road)*.

The insurance company wanted to go cheap and replace the broken glass with third-party glass. The Audi shop was battle-ready and told the insurance company that genuine Audi glass was essential as it was integral to the SUV's safety systems. You can't simply slap a windshield on - it needs to be calibrated. The insurance company backed down, and both windshields were replaced and recalibrated at the Audi shop. No loaner.

We also got windshield protection film (WPF) for her Audi, but (a) it came with only a one-year warranty, and (b) it didn't reduce our insurance premium. It's barely noticeable when it's not raining and a little noticeable when it is because it reduces the effectiveness of the wiper blades. Fortunately it doesn't rain too often here in Phoenix Arizona USA.

In April 2023, a rock whacked my wife's SUV and chipped the windshield without a crack. We called Safelite, and their tech came out and looked at the damage. Their tech said the WPF did its job! He didn't do anything to it.

My auto insurance has full glass coverage. Might be worth getting if it's available in your state.

*For a while we called my wife the Crack Queen.

OP
OP
Warrior 6

Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear the bad news, OP. Is that cost estimate to replace the regular glass or the thermal and noise insulated glass? Looking forward to reading your more detailed estimate.

While the windows on my 2022 RWD are still intact, I can share some experiences from my wife's Audi SUV. After picking up her new SUV in January 2022, my wife is on her third windshield. The first two were broken in March 2022 (on the freeway) and April 2022 (on a 45 mph road)*.

The insurance company wanted to go cheap and replace the broken glass with third-party glass. The Audi shop was battle-ready and told the insurance company that genuine Audi glass was essential as it was integral to the SUV's safety systems. You can't simply slap a windshield on - it needs to be calibrated. The insurance company backed down, and both windshields were replaced and recalibrated at the Audi shop. No loaner.

We also got windshield protection film (WPF) for her Audi, but (a) it came with only a one-year warranty, and (b) it didn't reduce our insurance premium. It's barely noticeable when it's not raining and a little noticeable when it is because it reduces the effectiveness of the wiper blades. Fortunately it doesn't rain too often here in Phoenix Arizona USA.

In April 2023, a rock whacked my wife's SUV and chipped the windshield without a crack. We called Safelite, and their tech came out and looked at the damage. Their tech said the WPF did its job! He didn't do anything to it.

My auto insurance has full glass coverage. Might be worth getting if it's available in your state.

Yep, I have the Thermal and Noise insulated glass. I will update when I get the estimate.

OP
OP
Warrior 6

Warrior 6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s the price my insurance paid for my windshield 2 years ago. It took 2 months just to get the windshield. The labor portion includes recalibrating all your safety systems built in to your GTS. Even if you get the windshield from an independent glass shop you’ll have to take it back to Porsche for the recalibration.
Your post does validate their cost estimate. Hopefully the windshields are more available.

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Wow that's pretty steep. Wouldn't this be something your insurance could cover with a deductible?

jonjon808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Not sure this will be helpful, as it is from a UK perspective, but I just had to have my windscreen replaced when a chip turned in to a foot long crack. Insurance has a £150 excess (is that co-pay in the US?) and as the car is a company vehicle, I had to pay the VAT (tax) on the total cost of the replacement job. The tax came to about £200, so at the 20% rate, I guess that makes the whole job a £1000 value. I had the noise and thermally insulated glass too and it took about a week for the glass to be put on order by the windscreen replacement company and then delivered from Porsche to them. Actual job took about 3 hours

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

Dan - I'm curious as to what product you used for the WPF - excellent that it has worked for you and the 'Crack Queen' :)

I have Stek for exactly two years now and most def in that time had a minimum of three significant hits with thankfully zero damage.

Overall I can see slight speckling (hardly noticeable) where a thousand other tiny hits occurred over those 2 years (albeit only 9000 miles!); but, specifically, I really have not noticed any impact on the effectiveness of my wipe blades in rain. I also have done absolutely noting different in respect how I clean the windshield nor the wiper blades themselves.

I suspect in another year maybe I might consider replacing this application so always interested in any new products etc. but hard to beat the Stek right now it seems.

Cheers, C.

Bigal1267

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' GTS ST & 22 XC 90 T8 Recharge
Country flag
I had my glass roof replaced due to hail damange. It will "recommtold" that the windshield would need to be replaced as well.

9J0-877-069-DY GLASS ROOF $4,771.26
9J1-845-099-AD-NVB WINDSCREEN $1634.43
8217 CEEV $3,535.84. This rolled up under labor
8217 CEZM $575. Alignment
Misc Shop Charges $59.99

Insurance paid for it all less deductable. I am sure my rate will go up next year. :CWL:

cyiril4j

First Name
Cyril
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT
Country flag
Yeah I got the same cost in California. I was shocked as well. They said Porsche requires to recalibrate the camera behind the read-view mirror and do a wheel re-alignment for the auto-steering. My insurance covered it all though so I guess it's legit.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I had my glass roof replaced due to hail damange. It will "recommtold" that the windshield would need to be replaced as well.

9J0-877-069-DY GLASS ROOF $4,771.26
9J1-845-099-AD-NVB WINDSCREEN $1634.43
8217 CEEV $3,535.84. This rolled up under labor
8217 CEZM $575. Alignment
Misc Shop Charges $59.99

Insurance paid for it all less deductable. I am sure my rate will go up next year. :CWL:
Wow!! But dammit - this is the second reminder for me to look into Stek protection for the roof too - forum mbr. DerekS, also in TX funnily enough, had his roof hit and cracked by road debris.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
My Taycan GTS caught a stone in the windshield two days ago. The rock left a 1 1 /4-1 1/2" chip that was very deep and showed some delamination. Normally I would have a glass company fill the chip but this was much deeper. I took the car to my Porsche Dealer for an estimate and I was prepared for this to be expensive. The estimate was shocking, $4,500. (windshield $2669, install $250, other labor $1392) YIKES! I've asked for a more detailed cost breakout and I will publish that when I get it.
FYI: In September '22 replacement at my Porsche dealer: windshield $1290, installation $350, calibration $562, alignment $340, "shop misc." $60. Total: $2,602 plus tax.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Not sure this will be helpful, as it is from a UK perspective, but I just had to have my windscreen replaced when a chip turned in to a foot long crack. Insurance has a £150 excess (is that co-pay in the US?) and as the car is a company vehicle, I had to pay the VAT (tax) on the total cost of the replacement job. The tax came to about £200, so at the 20% rate, I guess that makes the whole job a £1000 value. I had the noise and thermally insulated glass too and it took about a week for the glass to be put on order by the windscreen replacement company and then delivered from Porsche to them. Actual job took about 3 hours
Out of interest, did the car also need to go into the dealership to get it recalibrated? Or did auto glass (or whoever) do it? ie did you have to pay anything on top after the install?

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Dan - I'm curious as to what product you used for the WPF - excellent that it has worked for you and the 'Crack Queen' :)

I have Stek for exactly two years now and most def in that time had a minimum of three significant hits with thankfully zero damage.
It's a Stek WPF, too. I called my detailer here in Arizona just now, and he said it's been temporarily discontinued in North America due to manufacturing reasons. He's using ExoShield WPF now.

And, in the interest of providing too much information, here's what was done to my wife's Audi SUV in July 2022. All costs are US Dollars. The Stek NEXseries is a ceramic tint and comes with a lifetime warranty on the film and installation.

$1,895 full-front PPF (Stek Dynoshield, 10-year warranty)
$ 595 Stek Windshield Chip Protection Film (1-year warranty)
$ 595 tint side and rear windows (Stek NEXseries)
$ 350 tint windshield (Stek NEXseries)

$3,435 total

I didn't install any protection on the roof as we don't get hail here in Arizona USA ... yet ...

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Insurance has a £150 excess (is that co-pay in the US?)
I think that's what we call a deductible here in the USA. Once I pay the deductible, insurance begins to reimburse the remaining costs according to their terms.
Sponsored