New Members Say Hello Here!

Discussion in 'General Taycan Topics' started by PPK, Oct 10, 2018.

1. or1

or1 New Member

First Name:
    Otto
    Vehicles:
    Tesla S P85DL
    Hi!
    Came across this forum when looking for information about the Taycan, which is sparse at the moment - with only about four months to go before full presentation.
    I am a reservation holder from a few months back. Drives Tesla P85DL, has about 120000 km on it, could not be much happier. But the Model S interior needs a solid upgrade. If that comes and Tesla is in good health by the end of the year, choosing between Model S and Taycan could be difficult. The Porsche allure is strong, but Tesla is not without it either.
    In contrast to others here, I am not so much wishing for a supercar as for a very good daily driver. One of the elements there is one-pedal driving. I think Tesla does it just right: the electric system on one pedal, the mechanical on the other - you know exactly what happens. I read argumens about easier coasting if all braking is on the left pedal, but that is nonsense to me: finding the coasting position for the "gas" pedal is no problem at all. Having a large range of acceleration AND deceleration with one pedal is great.
    Also I hope they don´t overdo the synthetic sound. Respecting rules about warning pedestrians is fine, but more than that: no thanks. I have no wish to drive a synthesizer.
    So, there you have a couple of points. Looking forward to following the discussions here, and to the reveal!

robox and Tye like this.
  2. randkin

randkin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicles:
    930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
    Investments
    I think Porsche will try to put out a “driver’s EV” so it may not be exactly what you are looking for - one peddle driving? Most Porsche owners want more connection to the driving experience not less. So the Testa may still be the best EV for your driving experience.IMO

3. felixtb

felixtb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    Porsche: Taycan reserved; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, 3, new roadster reserved
    architect
    #33 felixtb, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    I think the two approches are diametrically different but one is not more or less drivers oriented. What makes the S more of a cruiser and bruiser than a track and country road expert is its cheer mass and that this is what the concepteur wanted...... However, the deceleration with the same pedal as acceleration is very intuitive and you can still toe/heal with a little practice or two foot driving with even more practice, kind of like a go-kart..... The system Audi put in place is with the paddles behind the steering wheel functioning as decelerators or like going down through the gears...... this might sound great to a great head but is very bizarre to drive effectively on a bending road.... but must admit my experience in the SUV e-TRON is limited to an afternoon. Going now to the Taycan it does not seem like Porsche has added paddles behind the wheel so anyone’s guess to which approach they have chosen... single pedal retard or paddles (not yet seen) or some other novel idea of theirs.

4. Passifier

Passifier Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicles:
    TAYCAN on order with deposit - Tesla S, Cayenne, MB 300
    Hi,
    Put down my deposit last June of 2018 and told I am # 15 in dealer orders. Looking forward to replacing my Tesla S.
    Ron

Tye likes this.
  5. Paulo

Paulo Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Paulo
    Vehicles:
    1898 Porsche P1
    Hi there!
    Just joined the forum.
    Regards.

Tye likes this.
  6. Shoey

Shoey Member

Vehicles:
    Macan Diesel, Cayman GTS, BMW i3
    Hi just joined the site. I live in the UK, big Porsche fan, letter of intent submitted 2016 & deposit put down last year. I’m not concerned about the design being toned down compared to the Mission-E, I’m sure it will still look very sharp. I’m more worried that the peak charging power at launch may not be the 350kW as originally thought. I’ve read it is set to increase from 250 to 350 kW but later on, perhaps in 2020/21. I don’t mind delaying the build but I need the 0 - 80% charge in <15mins, a minimum 260 mile range and a vehicle that does not come fitted with the mandatory speed limiters introduced by the European Transport Safety Council!

Tye and Paulo like this.
  7. Rotordude

Rotordude Member

Vehicles:
    C4S, Golf R
    Hello forum. Just joined. Multiple Porsches through the years...presently C4S and Golf R. Deposit since July 2018, Toronto.

Tye likes this.
  8. Skipbert71

Skipbert71 New Member

First Name:
    Skipper
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS350
    Physician
    Hello all, I am new to the forums and possible Porsche ownership. I have a tendency to hang onto my vehicles for a long time so therefore I have not owned really all that many in my 33 years of driving. My current daily is a 2012 Lexus IS350 F Sport and I love it but it does have 140,000 miles and so it is probably best to get ready to replace it.

I have only owned ICE vehicles and started thinking that my next vehicle should be EV. I initially was going to go with a Tesla S but the more I looked all of the Tesla lineup, besides the Roadster, they are just not great looking pieces of machinery. My wife was even like, "If you're going to spend $100,000 on a car, it has to look a little bad ass, not just something that could be mistaken for a Honda Civic" I couldn't agree more and the longer I looked at Tesla the more I was like, ugh.

And then I came across the Mission E!! WOW!! What a stunning piece of engineering. I have not put down a deposit yet but I plan on visiting my local dealer in the next 2 weeks. I know it will not look like the Mission E but I am just hoping it is distinctive enough that it is not mistaken for a Panamera.

9. soly20

soly20 Member

Vehicles:
    991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
    Put that deposit down. You can always get it back if you don't like the final car design.

Skipbert71 and edouard356 like this.
  10. charliemathilde

Vehicles:
    given what you say, i’d suggest making the deposit, and then likely leasing the initial model. That will give you a lot of flexibility, and the tech will improve quickly and substantially over the duration of a lease, so you can upgrade and commit to longer term ownership if you want, or just re-evaluate what’s going on with Tesla and Audi in 3 years.

Rotordude likes this.