I've now test driven all 3 models...and I have some comments and questions.

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I first test drove a pretty loaded Turbo S several months ago at Park Place Porsche. To be candid, I was very nervous, and we didn't take it on the highway, I got a sense for the acceleration. I remember thinking the acceleration wasn't as dramatic as a Tesla, but I've come to believe it was just as fast. However, the feeling wasn't as abrupt on my neck - maybe because I was used to what electric cars could do. I do remember the car feeling like an extension of me - it turned with such ease and control, I have never been in a car like that.

Then I drove a less-loaded Turbo about 3 weeks ago. Once again, the pickup didn't blow me away like I remembered the Tesla doing. However, going down the highway at 70, and punching it, I was at 100 in what seemed like a millisecond. Again, no head flying back type of issues, but lots of power. However, when I was going slowly, I noticed it didn't feel like as much of an extension of me. I am not sure (having never owned a Porsche), but I suspect it's because the Turbo didn't have rear axle steering. Bottom line is it was nice, but not quite as exciting.

Yesterday, I test drove a 4S, also without rear axle steering. It was also less spec'd out. The pickup was again not head jarring, but getting up to 104 doing the same highway drive was pretty quick. However with the Turbo it felt like it had a LOT more speed and room to go. Yesterday, I literally floored it, and while it didn't give me any issues, I obviously couldn't ask for more from the car.

Bottom line, given the mileage is not that different, if you have the money, and live somewhere like Germany where you can go as fast as you want, the Turbo S is a great choice. The reality, though, is that I won't be needing, or driving, with that kind of get-to-the-next-county-acceleration. So, I think I can live with my 4S, but I really would rather have a "used" Turbo, as they are going at discounted amounts right now.

My question. ultimately, is for Porsche experts or people who've experienced real axle vs. no rear axle steering in the same model. I got it because it sounded cool, but I am now wondering if that's the biggest thing, other than the acceleration, that made the Turbo S so amazing. If it is, then I'm even happier to live with the 4S I ordered (if it ever ships). Any experiential insight would be appreciated.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Edit: The major difference between the Turbo S and the Turbo, to a lesser extent, and the 4S, was the feeling of the car going too quickly fo me, vs. being under my control. Anyone who's ever driven a "crotch rocket" motorcycle for the first time vs. driving a normal motorcycle knows what I mean. It's almost too much power until you learn how to handle it. With 4S, it was strong, but not dangerously so.

Also, on the 4S, the removal of my foot from the accelerator caused a more noticeable downshift than in the other two models. I checked the setting for battery recuperation (whatever it's called), and changing it on the 4S made little difference. I never touched that setting on the Turbo or Turbo S.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My question. ultimately, is for Porsche experts or people who've experienced real axle vs. no rear axle steering in the same model. I got it because it sounded cool, but I am now wondering if that's the biggest thing, other than the acceleration, that made the Turbo S so amazing. If it is, then I'm even happier to live with the 4S I ordered (if it ever ships). Any experiential insight would be appreciated.
The rear axle steering feels almost unnaturally good in its ability to change direction of the car. I am amazed every single day of the turn radius of this thing...

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
I got a 4s with and I've been thinking about it for a long time. Of course it depends on the wheels.

Before that I had a 991.1 and 991.2.

One with rear axle steering and one without.

It is worth it. The difference is really there.

Last edited:

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
The rear axle steering feels almost unnaturally good in its ability to change direction of the car. I am amazed every single day of the turn radius of this thing...
Agree I took a few days of going easy but really lit it up yesterday and it was incredible how a heavier vehicle like that gripped each turn like it was no big deal. SO MUCH FUN !!!!!
Glad I went with the Turbo, I have never had an electric so obviously it feels extremely fast for me and plenty of zip

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got a 4s with and I've been thinking about it for a long time. Of course it depends on the wheels.

Before that I had a 911.1 and 911.2.

One with rear axle steering and one without.

It is worth it. The difference is really there.
Thanks very much. It also occurs to me that neither the Turbo nor the 4S had Torque Vectoring either (which I also omitted). Not sure if it's a combination of the two, or if the rear axle steering suffices.

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Agree I took a few days of going easy but really lit it up yesterday and it was incredible how a heavier vehicle like that gripped each turn like it was no big deal. SO MUCH FUN !!!!!
Glad I went with the Turbo, I have never had an electric so obviously it feels extremely fast for me and plenty of zip
Did you also get the Torque Vectoring, or just rear axle steering?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks very much. It also occurs to me that neither the Turbo nor the 4S had Torque Vectoring either (which I also omitted). Not sure if it's a combination of the two, or if the rear axle steering suffices.
Just wanted to clarify, all the Taycan models have Torque Vectoring using brakes on rear wheels. The option is for PTV+ which gives a rear differential lock for optimal power conversion.

That being said, I too am interested in folks option on PTV+ in a non-track scenario. As I also don't have it in my current spec. Also PDCC the chassis control that tweaks the chassis to keep it flat in a curve. Those are both pricy options and if wanted just get the Performance Package.

Update 5-6-2020
Now I am unable to find the reference that spoke of the braking based torque vectoring on non PTV+ other than an email I received. I would like a more substantial statement, sorry.

Last edited:

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Just wanted to clarify, all the Taycan models have Torque Vectoring using breaks on rear wheels. The option is for PTV+ which gives a rear differential lock for optimal power conversion.
Are you sure about this? I don't see anything referencing "torque vectoring" as standard equipment.

That being said, I too am interested in folks option on PTV+ in a non-track scenario. As I also don't have it in my current spec. Also PDCC the chassis control that tweaks the chassis to keep it flat in a curve. Those are both pricy options and if wanted just get the Performance Package.
I've PTV+ in my Macan. I added both (yep, US performance package) to the Taycan. Anything which makes it handle better in corners, even just around town, is what I was looking for. Probably will come in handy if I ever have to swerve away from a crash, too.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you sure about this? I don't see anything referencing "torque vectoring" as standard equipment.

I've PTV+ in my Macan. I added both (yep, US performance package) to the Taycan. Anything which makes it handle better in corners, even just around town, is what I was looking for. Probably will come in handy if I ever have to swerve away from a crash, too.
I was sure I read that in 2019, but now I am having difficult finding reference. I found a description of PTV vs PTV+ for combination Porsche's.

I am happy for you if you are getting the performance package. I have the premium package and just deciding how much spirited driving I will be doing. Certainly some.

FYI you may want to peruse another related thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/performance-options-on-4s-pdcc-rws-ptv-plus.856/

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was sure I read that in 2019, but now I am having difficult finding reference. I found a description of PTV vs PTV+ for combination Porsche's.
If you find something, great. If not, no worries from me. :)

I am happy for you if you are getting the performance package. I have the premium package and just deciding how much spirited driving I will be doing. Certainly some.
I like to "play" when I drive, especially when I'm alone in the car.

Thanks. I remember that thread. Last comment on the first page (found a typo; it's corrected now) got a thumbs up from you! ;)

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Do you have the PDCC and PTV+ as well, or just the rear axle steering?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Ok only thing I am curious about is the comment that there was no "head snapping." On my Turbo S even without launch control my organs shift pretty strongly, forget about the head. I have to tell all passengers to put their head back straight before I punch it. And I have driven the Model S, the curve is slightly different but it ain't faster.

Anyone have the max G Force numbers for both?

OP
OP

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ok only thing I am curious about is the comment that there was no "head snapping." On my Turbo S even without launch control my organs shift pretty strongly, forget about the head. I have to tell all passengers to put their head back straight before I punch it. And I have driven the Model S, the curve is slightly different but it ain't faster.

Anyone have the max G Force numbers for both?
I think the reason is merely because I had recently test driven a Tesla, and was not prepared for the head snap. Now, I am generally.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a lot different when you are driving and can anticipate the acceleration. Get in the car with someone else driving and I can almost guarantee they can initiate a "head jarring" impact on you. Even going 40 and tapping the accelerator is going to whip your noggin into the head rest. :)
Sponsored