First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi Porsche Pals,

I have a dilemma deciding whether to buy the Taycan or the 911.

My wife and I currently own a 2018 Macan. Recently married, no kids, no pets. Planning to keep it this way for a good few years. We decided to put a deposit and get the Taycan last year. Unfortunately COVID happened, and the car got delayed. We plan to give the Macan to our mom (she has no car atm) So we will be only having one car. (She lives only a 5 min drive or 15 min walk away, so we can use the Macan anytime)

Had a lot of time to think about the Taycan and the 911. We will be picking between the Taycan 4s or the 911 4S. (We can get the Taycan Turbo but we will be really really tight in the next two years.) We will be keeping the car for at least the next 6-7 years.

Please give me some feedbacks. I driven both cars and love them both. Too bad I can't afford both.......
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I had a 4S and sold it to Porsche for a trade in to the Taycan. I loved the 4S, but too low down for a daily driver.
g

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Hi Porsche Pals,

My wife and I currently own a 2018 Macan. Recently married, no kids, no pets. Planning to keep it this way for a good few years. We decided to put a deposit and get the Taycan last year. Unfortunately COVID happened, and the car got delayed. We plan to give the Macan to our mom (she has no car atm) So we will be only having one car. (She lives only a 5 min drive or 15 min walk away, so we can use the Macan anytime)

Had a lot of time to think about the Taycan and the 911. We will be picking between the Taycan 4s or the 911 4S. (We can get the Taycan Turbo but we will be really really tight in the next two years.) We will be keeping the car for at least the next 6-7 years.

Please give me some feedbacks. I driven both cars and love them both. Too bad I can't afford both.......
Really depends if you need 4 doors or not

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
Hi Porsche Pals,

Randy what a dilemma ,
Gordon’ s comment was correct — it’s a low ride .
Yes the 911 is a selfish car - no real passenger space .
— uncomfortable for passengers — can be quite noisy.
BUT A DRIVERS DELIGHT —WITH NOTHING LIKE IT .
Over the years I have owned six with my last being the latest 992 and still miss it .
For me personally I would go for the 911 now and place an order for a future Taycan .Possibly a last chance to own such a selfish but enjoyable machine .

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Randy what a dilemma ,
Gordon’ s comment was correct — it’s a low ride .
Yes the 911 is a selfish car - no real passenger space .
— uncomfortable for passengers — can be quite noisy.
BUT A DRIVERS DELIGHT —WITH NOTHING LIKE IT .
Over the years I have owned six with my last being the latest 992 and still miss it .
For me personally I would go for the 911 now and place an order for a future Taycan .Possibly a last chance to own such a selfish but enjoyable machine .
Very true.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you want something practical but with the added uncertainty of a charging infrastructure?

Or something noisy and indulgent?

Both are very fun, both are amazing cars, but the Taycan is far more practical. IMHO unless you like driving a manual and/or plan on tracking the 911, get the Taycan (as long as you're willing & understanding the challenges of owning an EV).

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Porsche Pals,

go test drive them both with your wife. The 911 is perfectly serviceable as a daily but everybody has different feelings about what’s too stiff or too loud or too small. You might also throw in a Panamera to the mix. Roomier and softer.

plus, like, an excuse to go drive some Porsches.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
If you don’t want any double takes or attention then get the 911. If you don’t mind people staring, giving you a thumbs up, or walking up to talk about your car then get the Taycan. Having owned more than a few Porsches, the Taycan is my hands down favorite. You won’t be compromising on anything.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Will this be your only vehicle? Taycan. Do you plan to 'borrow' the Macan ;) every time you go shopping? Either.

... or maybe consider a 911 lease now, and in 2-3 years switch to a Taycan.

OP
OP
Wendal

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for the comments.

I think I will miss the revs, engine sound, the gear shifting. I am still very new to the EV concept.

It will be more of a hassle to borrow the Macan everything we go costco or some sort of massive shopping or camping.

We don't plan on leasing, we plan to buy out the car, therefore planning to keep the car for a longer period of time.

911 is and still my dream car. I am very lucky that I can afford to make such a big and luxurious purchase. (But the Taycan is so sexy!!!!!)

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for the comments.

I think I will miss the revs, engine sound, the gear shifting. I am still very new to the EV concept.

It will be more of a hassle to borrow the Macan everything we go costco or some sort of massive shopping or camping.

We don't plan on leasing, we plan to buy out the car, therefore planning to keep the car for a longer period of time.

911 is and still my dream car. I am very lucky that I can afford to make such a big and luxurious purchase. (But the Taycan is so sexy!!!!!)

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!
If you are new to EVs and your budget is to somewhat constraint, I suggest to rent an EV for a month and see how this fits into your life. If you feel no issue with more frequent charging, you will pick the Taycan and drive into the future.

I have an EV for 4 years now and with the wall box at home, I would never ever buy a stinking car again.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I own a Taycan turbo and a 991.2 TTS and a Macan Turbo. The 911 is NOT lower. In fact, my 911 has an Aero package, but because of it's shorter nose it would require much less frequent lifting, than the Taycan does. The Taycan (at least mine, with sports package) needs to be lifted pretty much ANYWHERE you see might need lift, whereas the 991 TTS only needed lift on the most steep up/down ramps.

Also, regarding usability - if you are driving a few hundred km at a time tops, then the Taycan might be more practical, given the 4 doors, the small but usable boot, etc. If you are like me, doing easily 500+km on a driving day and with no easy access to 200+kw chargers, the Taycan adds A LOT of time to the trip. So much, that I see myself driving the wifeys Macan with the kids, rather than the Taycan, just to shove off 2-3 hours of the trip by not staying around chargers.

If you ask me, keep the Macan :D

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Well that is an interesting question but if you watch most of the youtube reviews you will be surprised to hear that most have rated the Taycan to be better than a 911! Say's a lot!

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Thanks for the comments.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!
Nice problem to have Randy. For simple daily practicality of being a single car household,, I'd go with the Taycan. Groceries, Costco, Home Depot... can be done in the 911, but it's undeniably cumbersome if you buy more than just a couple steaks and a bottle of wine. I love my 911, but it's much better suited as a second (or third) car in the garage in my family.

On the flip side, you didn't tell about your travels and hobbies. Road tripping, cottaging, cabin, skiing, etc. Roof bars and a sleek Thule box will get you almost anywhere in both the Taycan and 911, but long distance road-tripping may be more difficult. Unless you stick with the Petro-Can charging network on the Trans-Canada.

Where are you in Canada? Is snow going to be a consideration? You may struggle with ride height in deep snow with both.

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
I have a 991 S cab and about to get a Taycan Turbo delivered next week. You didn't state whether you were looking at a 911 cab or coup. I love the 911 cab and am keeping it because in the summer I have the top down whenever it is not raining and temperature is above 55 degrees (which happens occasionally in Minnesota :)).
But as others have said, 911 is fun to drive (so is the Taycan), the 911 is noisy (Taycan is quiet; until I traded my 2017 Panamera 4S in for the Taycan--I would always take the Panamera on the longer drives instead of the 911 due to the comfort factor), and 911 is really more for just the driver (which I'm OK with as I do the driving in it). However, a 911 is a "keeper", it is classic and just keeps on running and bringing smiles (Taycan is new, will have bugs, and may not be as much of a keeper as new improvements come along).

My $.02.
Sponsored