First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Morning.
Just lifting the dog out of the CT and lent on the bumper of the car as I did so. Car started to roll forward easily. Maybe 6 or 7 inches and didn’t feel rock solid then. Tried from the front and the same. Certainly didn’t feel the brakes gripped (as they sometimes do when a car (ICE) rocks back on a slope for example). I was parked on level road.

Car turned off and in Park.
I tend to press and hold the start button to turn the car off, rather than pressing the park button first.

Is this ‘normal’? It leaves me realising I don’t know what holds the car in Park - is it the mechanical brakes or the engine?

Any other CT owners mind giving theirs a little push on the flat or other thoughts?
Ta.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The motors can’t hold the car in place without power. It should have some kind of separate electrically actuated mechanical brake for parking.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Are you putting it in neutral before powering down?
From the manual, under "Towing the vehicle"-
  1. Select transmission range N.
  2. Switch off readiness for operation.
    The vehicle is able to roll for approx. 30 minutes, after which the transmission parking lock engages automatically.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Morning.
Just lifting the dog out of the CT and lent on the bumper of the car as I did so. Car started to roll forward easily. Maybe 6 or 7 inches and didn’t feel rock solid then. Tried from the front and the same. Certainly didn’t feel the brakes gripped (as they sometimes do when a car (ICE) rocks back on a slope for example). I was parked on level road.

I tend to press and hold the start button to turn the car off, rather than pressing the park button first.

Is this ‘normal’? It leaves me realising I don’t know what holds the car in Park - is it the mechanical brakes or the engine?

Any other CT owners mind giving theirs a little push on the flat or other thoughts?
Ta.
Park First - Power off second. (unless for other reasons (tow etc)

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I was always told (and read here) that this a big no no and always PARK then OFF as @Lars says above. Almost sounds lucky that you have generally been parking on level areas as if this procedure not followed the car will roll after a few minutes as not intended/designed to hold unless P chosen.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Using Park the car also sets the parking brake.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm. Just gave it a little test on my drive (sloped). When you turn off, it automatically applies blue 'P' and the (red) park brake - I think because 'hold' has kicked in when I'm stopping.

I think the car has tricked me into thinking that it always applies both, whatever circumstance, but having just checked on a flat bit of road, it doesn't!

I just gave our automatic RR a try and putting car into gear box Park automatically applies the park brake. I'd never tried it before, but just turning it off while in drive and also applies both park brakes.

Anyway, amazed if 'P' on its own wasn't enough as per automatic ICE cars, no matter how it actually operates. I'd add i have always used the park brake on our other automatic cars as have never entirely trusted the gear box Park on those and know it is recommended practice.

Looks like i will be pressing the P button a bit more often now.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I just gave our automatic RR a try
I am just going to assume this stands for Rolls-Royce and you have spent your morning pushing it up and down your drive.

The neighbours are going to think: "I knew he couldn't afford to put petrol into it!"

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Morning.

Ta.
Shocker!

I always press P and have a slope on the driveway and never rolled.

Powering off should engage the parking lock automatically I would have thought but possibly not and a potential software bug.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am just going to assume this stands for Rolls-Royce and you have spent your morning pushing it up and down your drive.

The neighbours are going to think: "I knew he couldn't afford to put petrol into it!"
Er, Range Rover more likely, a Rolls Royce would be called a 'Roller'!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
From the operating manual (post #3), it sounds like 30 mins of freewheeling is a deliberate feature to enable pushing or towing in an emergency. Check to find out if it's braked after that time.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From the operating manual (post #3), it sounds like 30 mins of freewheeling is a deliberate feature to enable pushing or towing in an emergency. Check to find out if it's braked after that time.
Yes, but i think that's after selecting neutral. Mine was showing as P.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Hmm. Just gave it a little test on my drive (sloped). When you turn off, it automatically applies blue 'P' and the (red) park brake - I think because 'hold' has kicked in when I'm stopping.

I think the car has tricked me into thinking that it always applies both, whatever circumstance, but having just checked on a flat bit of road, it doesn't!

I just gave our automatic RR a try and putting car into gear box Park automatically applies the park brake. I'd never tried it before, but just turning it off while in drive and also applies both park brakes.

Anyway, amazed if 'P' on its own wasn't enough as per automatic ICE cars, no matter how it actually operates. I'd add i have always used the park brake on our other automatic cars as have never entirely trusted the gear box Park on those and know it is recommended practice.

Looks like i will be pressing the P button a bit more often now.
Odd, our CT4 has always applied the parking brake when putting in park. I just checked it again, and sitting in our garage, it has the parking brake on. Our floor is level.

Hill hold will work on a slope, but that typically kicks in when the car is in drive.
Sponsored