Taycan Electric Sport Sound, does it really affect range?

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
The tech expert at the dealership cautioned me that having the sound on will reduce range. I realize it takes some juice to run an amp and what amounts to some subwoofer action....but enough to really make much of a difference??? I'm quite skeptical. Any thoughts on that? I actually like the sound. In fact, if I had it my way, when we first fire-up the car I'd love to hear a profound deep sinister bass akin to what the Ghostbuster's hear when they fire-up those backpacks, which are claimed to be small thermo nuclear devices. I'd also have a big-ass double arm levered switch (like the Hummer H2 has) that you push forward as if engaging some heavy juice. Gotta have some fun with it! Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No effect on range whatsoever LOL.

Funny video....but yeah, the tech expert insisted that sound emulator would reduce range. I think he was confused or got bad info. It's just a few watts going into a speaker; marginal difference at best, agreed!

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The tech expert? :giggle::facepalm:
Hey now, a 23 year-old scrawny nerdy kid with as little muscle mass as he has body-fat along with powerful computer skills is a formidable resource! He worked at a major Porsche dealership, at the front and wore the black shirt, granted it was likely a size small.

Btw, what the hell is with the center console glove box? The release button is hard to hit, the door only stays up about half way and you have to contort yourself to access is marginally small compartment...what a for-shit design! And there's no place for sunglasses and you need to shove the cell phone into a cup holder OR try to get it into the charge slip inside the ridiculously inaccessible center glove box.....is this German engineering at it's finest or what?

And when you open the door, why can't the amount of charge be displayed? You literally need to start the car and wait for the display to come up in order to see how much juice and range is in the battery. With my Jag I-pace you need only open the door and within a few seconds you can see the charge level....is it really asking for too much for some readily visible indicator? Maybe even something on the exterior. My G-d, even the little Fiat 500e has an indicator as it charges that you can see from 300-feet away! I'm sorry but there's a TON of poorly designed electronics lacking in this car! You can't even readily pop the trunk without going through some menu's to push on a virtual button. LOVE the looks, handling and performance but the driver interaction is most lacking! You got any gripes I missed? I've still not figured out the garage remote thing....any idea how many buttons you can program? I have a front gate, middle gate and garage door so I need 3 buttons...not sure it can do that.

Reactions: B61

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Well basically anything which uses electricity must reduce range since the only source of power is the traction battery.
The question is, is the range reduction significant?
No, it won't be much.
The only thing in the car other than the motors which uses significant amounts of power is heating (and cooling). Maybe the headlights are non-negligible but everything else will vanish into other variability.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
With low confidence in my own mental calculation- if we assume the external speakers require 200w to achieve the rumbly sporty sound, that would be around 4 miles off a full charge.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Well basically anything which uses electricity must reduce range since the only source of power is the traction battery.
The question is, is the range reduction significant?
No, it won't be much.
The only thing in the car other than the motors which uses significant amounts of power is heating (and cooling). Maybe the headlights are non-negligible but everything else will vanish into other variability.
If we are going to ignore the magnitude of the contribution, relieving yourself in the bathroom prior to getting into your Taycan will in fact INCREASE your range, as would leaving your clothes at home and driving naked! Conversely, having an extra snack, a drink, or even bringing spare change or a spare key fob will DECREASE the range. :p

Last edited:

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
If there was no option to turn off the fake sound then you would want to get out after ten minutes… so the effective range would be reduced.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
If we are going to ignore the magnitude of the contribution, relieving yourself in the bathroom prior to getting into your Taycan will in fact INCREASE your range, as would leaving your clothes at home and driving naked! Conversely, having an extra snack, a drink, or even bringing a spare change or a spare key fob will DECREASE the range. :p
Tried and tested tricks....before getting on the scales when trying to reduce weight.

And cut your toe nails.

But don't bother breathing in and thinking 'be light, be light, be light'.
Makes no difference.
😁

• Haha
Reactions: B61

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I have a front gate, middle gate and garage door so I need 3 buttons...not sure it can do that.
I have four doors programmed with the Homelink … so at least four, don’t know the maximum…

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Hey now, a 23 year-old scrawny nerdy kid with as little muscle mass as he has body-fat along with powerful computer skills is a formidable resource! He worked at a major Porsche dealership, at the front and wore the black shirt, granted it was likely a size small.

Btw, what the hell is with the center console glove box? The release button is hard to hit, the door only stays up about half way and you have to contort yourself to access is marginally small compartment...what a for-shit design! And there's no place for sunglasses and you need to shove the cell phone into a cup holder OR try to get it into the charge slip inside the ridiculously inaccessible center glove box.....is this German engineering at it's finest or what?

And when you open the door, why can't the amount of charge be displayed? You literally need to start the car and wait for the display to come up in order to see how much juice and range is in the battery. With my Jag I-pace you need only open the door and within a few seconds you can see the charge level....is it really asking for too much for some readily visible indicator? Maybe even something on the exterior. My G-d, even the little Fiat 500e has an indicator as it charges that you can see from 300-feet away! I'm sorry but there's a TON of poorly designed electronics lacking in this car! You can't even readily pop the trunk without going through some menu's to push on a virtual button. LOVE the looks, handling and performance but the driver interaction is most lacking! You got any gripes I missed? I've still not figured out the garage remote thing....any idea how many buttons you can program? I have a front gate, middle gate and garage door so I need 3 buttons...not sure it can do that.
+1
+ make that (f**king) CarPlay finally reliable!

just came back from a short drive to,the store and back after 13 days of my illness.
CarPlay worked in the beginning, when i came back from store (10minutes), i just got “no device connected, connect new device….).
Since i didn’t have time for that, i just switched to AppleMusic….but no Caraplay icon anymore…
Sponsored